Starting weight lifting again - help please :)

Hey all,

What sort of repxset range would you reccomend I do for calf raises? I've been doing 1x12 1x10 1x8-10 increasing the weight on a leg press machine (like this one). Would doing it on a smith be beneficial?

Thanks for all the helps :)

$loth said:
Hey all,

What sort of repxset range would you reccomend I do for calf raises? I've been doing 1x12 1x10 1x8-10 increasing the weight on a leg press machine (like this one). Would doing it on a smith be beneficial?

Thanks for all the helps :)

I do calf raises standing with a barbell, but it's fine to do them on the Leg Press. I find that 3 sets in the 20-35 rep range work well. I tried three sets of 12-8 reps with a heavier weight but didn't find them as effective.

Fusion said:
I do calf raises standing with a barbell, but it's fine to do them on the Leg Press. I find that 3 sets in the 20-35 rep range work well. I tried three sets of 12-8 reps with a heavier weight but didn't find them as effective.

do you use a step or just do it standing on the floor?
i cant do standing calf raises on a step with 100kg+ on my back!

$loth said:
Here are some current stats:

Arms: 12"
Legs: 20"
Chest: 37"

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 147lbs.

Update time.

My diet is going good, protein and carbs in 90% of meals easily, and i'm eating a lot of it. Supplements i'm using are: whey protein , creatine mono and taurine . I add in oats when I take my shakes, just started taking Taurine today, mainly for reducing cramps.

Stats:

Arms: 13"
Chest: 38" - think I might have measured that wrong though <:S
Legs: 21 1/2" (around that, hoping I got the right meausing point as last time).

Weight: 155lbs.

Last edited:
Another update

Thank god for keeping old emails - we need the search function back!

Ok, i'm starting to cut now, I think I need to drop around 8-10lbs to get to 11%. Been going to the gym regularly and seen some good gains, i'll give some stats:

Weight: 166lbs
bodyfat %: ~13.5

DB Bench - got 17.5kg 6 reps for 2 sets then 20kg for 6 reps for 2 sets. I think that's good as I started off on 15kg.
Squats - 90.5kg (smith) for 4 reps last time.
Deadlift - Still at 120kg but my form has improved, and this exercise has helped greatly in thickening my back.

Chest - 38.5inchs
Arms - right:13.25 left:13.5
Thighs - 22inchs.

I'm surpised my chest has grown that much, in my mind I thought it wasn't progressing so much, and I don't think it's down to creatine so much as I haven't had any monohydrate since monday. I've got CEE to try as i've heard that this is usually more responsive on more people than monohydrate. Squats have been going up steadily in the past month or so since I hit 80kg as has my bench press. I think it's more to do with mind-muscle connection more than anything.

Oh - and new gym in a couple of weeks!

[edit]
This is the routine i'll be starting monday:

Day 1

• Dumbbell bench press 3 x 8 repetitions Chest
• Lat pull downs 3 x 12 repetitions Back
• Barbell squats 3 x 8 repetitions Legs
• Seated military press dumbbell 3 x 12 repetitions Shoulders
• Seated leg curls 3 x 12 repetitions Legs

Day 2

• Dead lifts 3 x 8 repetitions Back
• Wide dips 3 x 8/10 repetitions Chest/tri (incline bench)
• T-bar row 3 x 12 repetitions Back (DB bent over row)
• Leg press 3 x 12 repetitions Legs (squats)
• Standing bicep curl 3 x 12 repetitions Biceps

The ones i've put in brackets are the exercises i'll be doing whilst i'm at the current gym.

Last edited:
Just a question about carbs and cutting. I understand it's good to lower carbs for cutting, but when are critical points to have carbs during a workout day and non workout day?
I was thinking on a workout day - breakfast, pre and postworkout, and on a non workout day - breakfast and around early afternoon.

If Cutting, post-workout you want to keep your fats to absolute minimum for the next couple of hours. Maybe irrelevant, but just a little advice :)

Back
Top Bottom