Static caravan - where and costs

Hi folks

I'm looking at getting a static caravan near Prestatyn/Rhyl but just thought I'd see if any others had one and locations good/bad and site fees.

Stayed at presthaven a few times but the site fees to buy one there are ridiculous - 7-9k a year!
Hi, my mum has had a static caravan at Plas Newydd (spelling?) caravan site in Prestatyn since 2011. She was looking around at sites and caravans and came across this site with a caravan on it for £2k! Don't judge it by its price, this was 13 years ago after all, the caravan although old is fine. Great condition inside, paintwork now a bit dulled on the outside, no leaks, no smells, everything works. The only issues she's had over the years were caused by clumsy renters so she no longer rents it out.

Anyway, this site is £2400 per year plus electric, which iirc is about £200 per year. It's open early March to end of October. There are no pubs/clubs, pools, arcades, etc. It's about 1.5 miles from the sea front. Most of the residents are middle aged and over, don't see many kids. The site owners live on a farm next door. Some lovely countryside walks available on its doorstep. I don't think there's a website for it or there wasn't a while ago. The site is clean and in good condition but no lights at night. 5 min car/bus journey from the center of Prestatyn. Not sure of their policy on older caravans, my mums caravan is about 25 years old and no-one has said anything.

Anyone ever been in a caravan that didn't have earwigs inside.

that's my only memories of the 1 or 2 caravan holidays I had to endure as a child

Anyone ever been in a caravan that didn't have earwigs inside.

that's my only memories of the 1 or 2 caravan holidays I had to endure as a child
The last couple I've stayed in have been fairly reasonable but again we're owned by haven although kinda looked after enough and definitely no ear wigs or other bugs

As stated its the fees even if you buy one outright you don't own the land they sit on etc in a park. They can and will charge you through the nose for everything and you can't even put up a windowbox without permission first. They're also a depreciating asset i.e. they will fall apart one day bricks and mortar they ain't

Last edited:
As stated its the fees even if you buy one outright you don't own the land they sit on etc in a park. They can and will charge you through the nose for everything and you can't even put up a windowbox without permission first. They're also a depreciating asset i.e. they will fall apart one day bricks and mortar they ain't

There's a secondary issue there too IIRC even if it doesn't fall apart - keep one on a holiday park for say a decade or so, paying perhaps 5k-10k a year in fees, and one day they become "too old"/dated and you're obliged to sell it/remove it from the site and buy a new one that the site owners approve of.

So I guess costs to consider are perhaps the inflated cost of caravan + plot in the first place, decent margin for the holiday park on top of the annual maintenance fees/rent + big payment to replace the caravan with a newer one sometime down the line too.

What about a motorhome instead?
IIRC that would often require a C1 licence from memory as the proper sized ones tend to be over 3.5 tons.
Not necessarily an issue if you've got a pre '97 licence or have done the extra test for another reason but it could require additional driver training and if you're not used to the size of it some time to get comfortable driving it (especially if the only time you drive it is a couple of times a year).

The idea is great. It's all the hassle around the site restrictions. I could probably live comfortably in one of the larger ones full time

Back
Top Bottom