Stealing food from skip

Caporegime
I could understand it if the same people were going to the same supermarket and creating a mess each time... that would be a nuisance and would be quite reasonable for the authorities to take action and charge them with whatever they can - seemingly some random vagrancy act from the 1800s

Catching then charging people who happened to be doing it without anyone knowing about it (aside from being spotted by chance on this occasion) doesn't seem to be a constructive use of time... given that its just food in a bin surely a telling off or even a caution would be sufficient once they've established that they weren't there to try and break in/steal anything of value.

Thug
Soldato
This old chestnut, christ, I know a guy who used to wait behind starbucks and bring all the cakes home for his family - nothing wrong with them!

And where I used to work, we changed the bin liner just before the vending machine was emptied then got the sandwiches out of the bin - Why pay £3 for a sandwich when there's a perfectly good one going free? The bloke start going mental when he found out because no one used to use the machine, we just waited for it to be emptied.

One mans trash is another mans treasure, I think it's completely insane to prosecute someone for taking food from a bin to feed themselves - it's not theft because it is food which have been discarded same way it's not theft for a tramp to pick up a dog end and smoke it.

This case highlights that we should be prosecuting the supermarkets for how much waste they have - so much food into landfill.

This is why they don't do it. It devalues their products.

Soldato
I think its more outrageous that a private company can pressurise the CPS in a case that, as they say, had nothing to do with them, for the sake of publicity.

TJM

TJM

Associate
The Vagrancy Act is a well-worn tool in the police's arsenal and is only obscure to the general public. Homeless people know all about it.

Soldato
I don't think so, something like that can't be attributed to stupidity, malice seems much more likely given that they purposely searched the law books for a very obscure act to charge the men under.

As above, it's not obscure, it's quite commonly used.

Well, if the 'victim' doesn't care, why should anyone else? It is (or was) their food.

They weren't charged with theft, and there's no victim for Found on Enclosed.

Back
Top Bottom