steam hwsurvey - no change

Soldato
I'd say the last 4 points are more specific to you.

Please read my post again, I made it clear the IQ issues were things I personally could not come to terms with. Though at least you acknowledge some points I made are valid for everyone, adoption rate is poor, and please look up what AAA means. It most definitely isn't Robo Recall, or the other wave shooters you just listed. AAA games are games that sell in the millions and have massive budgets. The main software houses have already clarified that their existing AAA games developers are not catering for VR.

It's an old article but still valid.
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/06/vr-gaming-lack-of-aaa-games-publishers-analysis/

Also if only hundreds of thousands of VR units have been sold, that is backing up my point, not refuting it. No major developer is going to be wasting budget on their AAA game to cater for a few hundred thousand people.

For VR to succeed it needs much lower prices for people to buy into it. Right now it is a niche but I hope it does become mainstream.

Associate
do you think adoption rate is poor though? considering rift, vive and psvr are first gen of home VR and they are expensive, (not to mention with the first two you need beefy hardware to run it) sales seem very healthy considering its the first year of gen 1.

Fallout 4, payday 2 and serious sam are AAA games are they not?

I suppose this is a pointless debate really, you're not keen on VR whereas i'm loving it and don't have enough time to play all the titles i"ve been buying!

Associate
Expecting VR to be mainstream at this stage is a little silly. The PC requirements are still well above average household PCs. The cost for a rift alone is more than a normal console.

I know a few friends that have purchased one. Myself included as recently as this week. Would I recommend my semi-gamer dad to buy it? No. Would I recommend it to my friend who really enjoys new tech? Yes.

Any piece of equipment that costs £400+ and then requires a £800+ PC is not going to be mainstream. The vast majority of us on this forum are not deemed to be mainstream either though. Doesn't mean the high end technology doesn't thrive!

Soldato
Expecting VR to be mainstream at this stage is a little silly. The PC requirements are still well above average household PCs. The cost for a rift alone is more than a normal console.

I know a few friends that have purchased one. Myself included as recently as this week. Would I recommend my semi-gamer dad to buy it? No. Would I recommend it to my friend who really enjoys new tech? Yes.

Any piece of equipment that costs £400+ and then requires a £800+ PC is not going to be mainstream. The vast majority of us on this forum are not deemed to be mainstream either though. Doesn't mean the high end technology doesn't thrive!

VR is out over 1 year IMHO both technical specs and prices were early adopter level. Newer, better spec and cheaper VR headsets are in the works and should make VR more mainstream but the fragmentation could be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom