SteamOS Official Thread.

Soldato
I'd say current releases are more a trickle than a surge, we need big AAA titles from big publishers to enter the Linux market, only then will people take the platform serious as a gaming alternative to windows.

Soldato
It's all very encouraging that's for sure... What worries me though is when enough momentum finally builds up and more people start to take notice - will there be a Linux distro waiting in the wings which truly gels with the masses? It won't take much for a Windows users to suddenly go "Aaarrgh! I don't like this I can't do X,Y,Z that I used to do in Windows" and potentially be put-off switching OS even more than they perhaps already are

Soldato
Since launch I've been skeptical of success, and well, I'm still skeptical.

I think every body is to be fair, including Dev's/publishers. A few have surprised me though. Batman, Shadows of mordor and what not. Still like others have said, It will take the likes of COD/Battlefield franchises and games of that ilk before it's taken seriously.

That's my gut feeling anyway. Being a long time Linux user it is looking quite rosy from what we've had in the past

Soldato
Meh... let the bloatware OS and underpowered consoles keep their bland cookie-cutter "AAA" shooters for all I care :p Not needed on Linux

While I agree to a certain degree, that's what it will take before major adoption is taken up. whether you or I like them is irrelevant, when they sell by their millions. that's what counts to the major titles/publishers.

Soldato
What will really be the defacto yes or no to linux from major developers is if in November/December, Valve can turn around as say "hey we've shipped a million steam machines since launch" and even more importantly several hundred thousand VIVE VR headsets :)

Soldato
What drivers should I be using for AMD, default or catalysis?

Just installing the cat drivers, the default ubuntu ones have crazy fps drops in cs go :(

Back to windows i5 / 280xt / 8gb and the fps is going down to 30 from 60 in 8 v 8 cs :(

Success, ran the following cmd and all is well solid frame rate no random dips

' sudo aticonfig --initial'

Last edited:
Associate
Shadow of Mordor was released the other day, pretty late in the day but a nice addition nonetheless. Will certainly get that and give it a go when my 980ti arrives :)

Back
Top Bottom