Steelbooks, anyone else collecting them?

Soldato
I'm on a bit of a physical media kick at the moment after Prime made the series I was watching unavailable mid episode. I picked up a couple of steelbooks and have got the bug, anyone else collect them?

Soldato
Waste of money (literally)

I went to collect a soundbar a while ago from this chap, all 3 rooms of his apartment had shelves and shelves of of dvds and bluerays :eek:

Probably a couple of thousand if I ball parked lol

...don't do it

Last edited:
Soldato

I went to collect a soundbar a while ago from this chap, all 3 rooms of his apartment had shelves and shelves of of dvds and bluerays :eek:

...don't do it

I was one of the few that got lucky, i bought a used Alien Covenant 4K steelbook HMV exclusive if i remember.

It actually shot up in value lol. Turns out collectors were after them i guess.

Soldato
I was one of the few that got lucky, i bought a used Alien Covenant 4K steelbook HMV exclusive if i remember.

It actually shot up in value lol. Turns out collectors were after them i guess.

That was the biggest mistake of your life. You have brought shame upon your family for generations to come . Hang your head one shame

Etc etc etc

Soldato
Steelbooks not so much, unless cheap, films with rewatch value, definitely. On a decent TV and sound system i.e. not the TV speakers the quality on physical is noticeable, especially the sound. I'll pay for that but not fancy packaging.

I buy a lot used or wait for deals, never buy on release unless it's something you really want, the prices soon drop. Some of the older films, now restored on 4K Blu-ray look great.

Soldato
Steelbooks are a complete waste of money. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The case scratches just by looking at it and they dent at every opportunity. At the end of the day, you are paying a £20 premium over a plastic case that is actually a better solution.

Soldato
Out of the 100+ Blu-ray's I have, only the one (T2) which co-incidentally, I also own on DVD (the only DVD I have left that I bought when I started buying DVD's 26 years ago) it has the steel cover on that copy too.

Associate
I'm still very much a physical media collector (have ditched all streaming services this year), but never really got into steelbooks, they look nice enough but not enough to warrant the extra cost and they can get easily damaged. Think I have 4 (out of 1500-2000 discs), mostly bought because they happened to be a film I wanted and were cheap, last one I got I didn't even realize it was a steelbook until it arrived ad it turned up pretty battered and dented out of shape (despite being in pretty reasonable packaging) but can't be bothered with the hassle of exchanging it as it's a US import, so stuck with a misshapen case.

Associate
I think the unncessary nature of steelbooks are what makes them so collectible. They are just cases, that cost more to look pleasing but that's part of their charm.
Like anything more than a £10 Casio watch or Ford Focus car, basically unnecessary but nice all the same

Soldato

...don't do it
until you sell a couple at £100 plus... I've personally sold two Steelbooks for £120 each and I paid £32... however wasn't that fussed on the PQ on the 4k's... so sold on as they no longer available. However as I'm a collector (circa 1,000 physical discs), my fave films I will buy on steels... i.e. Rocky's, The Crow etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
No the steel books but I do buy a lot of 4k blu rays. I am somewhat behind on my backlog due to the little boy meaning I don't have as much time any more so I tend not to end up buying new releases until they're on offer. End up averaging £15 a pop on cost.

Soldato

...don't do it
But he owns them forever and never has to pay for them again while the other option is to pay for half a dozen streaming services forever? Even if you just subscribe to the top 3 services prime, Netflix and Disney you are looking at around £300 a year.

Soldato
But he owns them forever and never has to pay for them again while the other option is to pay for half a dozen streaming services forever? Even if you just subscribe to the top 3 services prime, Netflix and Disney you are looking at around £300 a year.
Until the next format appears and they're obsolete anyway. Did that with VHS and DVD and have no desire to waste money on landfill like that again :)

Soldato

...don't do it

This....

I have just packed all mine in to boxes and gone into the garage

Back
Top Bottom