• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Still using trusty Q6600

Associate
Hi,

In what is a bit of a disaster for Overclockers in terms of trying to sell new kit, and possibly tempting fate, my Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad processor is still going strong. I can't even work out how long I have had it now - 7 or 8 years maybe? I have upgraded the graphics card twice since then, added a SSD for the system, upped the RAM but my PC just still works really well on Windows 7 Pro. I don't play as many games as I used to but it seems to play Rome 2 Total War decently and really anything I have tried on Steam.

So is anyone else still using this or other old but dependable and adequate kit???

Associate
If your processor can still do what you need then get as much use as you can out of it.
I am on a clocked q9550 and it goes really good for 1080p gaming. I really like the i7 x99 but i cannot see a reason to upgrade. Not for World of Warcraft only

Soldato
it says you joined in 2009? this is your first post :confused:

Welcome, anyway yeah keep the q6600 if its still going strong, but bear in mind a g3258 would destroy it it's £55

Associate
I'm running an overclocked q6600 and I'm finding I'm cpu bound on most games I play. I've yet to see 60 fps on any setting I've tried and I'm running a 280x gpu

Soldato
Hi,

In what is a bit of a disaster for Overclockers in terms of trying to sell new kit, and possibly tempting fate, my Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad processor is still going strong. I can't even work out how long I have had it now - 7 or 8 years maybe? I have upgraded the graphics card twice since then, added a SSD for the system, upped the RAM but my PC just still works really well on Windows 7 Pro. I don't play as many games as I used to but it seems to play Rome 2 Total War decently and really anything I have tried on Steam.

So is anyone else still using this or other old but dependable and adequate kit???

Depends what you play. If it's things that aren't too CPU intensive then yeah you'll carry on as you are but even then people go from the Q6600 to even Sandybridge i5's and have brilliant results.

Adequate for browsing and general PC stuff yes, easily more than but probably not on par on newer AAA titles.

Soldato
Hi,

I know a few people that are still using their Pentium 3's and 4's etc. They are light users only running ancient games, browsing the web etc.

Also lots of these old systems, including q6600's etc being sent to third world countries now, since they are worth peanuts/nothing here. Makes sense that others can have more use of our leftovers.

Associate
It was a great chip in it's time and I had one myself :)

The i5 2500k and i7 2600k were even better. I have a 2600k@ 4.8Ghz and don't see any reason to change it at the moment. After the Sandy chips you only get a 5% increase with each generation.

Until Intel release something that can blow it out of the water I will stick with what I have :)

Soldato
I had an AMD 965BE until a week or so ago. Had it 6 years but was finally time to upgrade, so I've built a 5820k system now with SLI Gigabyte GTX960 G1 4gb cards. The different is night and day! Move on, you'll regret not doing it sooner. :p

Man of Honour
The E6600/Q6600 were both well ahead of their time and pretty much bullet proof - ran some of them under 24x7 heavy load for about 2 years overclocked with stupid voltages and they are still running fine to this day.

Associate
i used to have a q9400 before i had my i5-2500k, i remember after upgrade i noticed very little diference.

q9400 itself is marginally better than q6600.

the only advantages to upgrading is the energy consumption. the newe stuff do the same processing for less power

Associate
I had a Q6600, but on a mobo that didn't support overclocking and replacements were hard to find, even a few years back. 7 years old I think, it had a HD6770 and did reasonably well on new games 3 years ago. I wonder what graphics cards people run with their long lasting Q6600 processors these days? All that said, I've donated the reliable old thing to my folks and I'm building a new rig next month. Such a shame I never got to overclock it.

Associate
I've just come from another thread where I mentioned my old Q6600!

It's a great processor, and I was using it till last year. However, upgrading to a xeon x5460 is a MASSIVE improvement. The temps were the first things that I noticed, and it is much snappier when loading things.

You can buy an x5460 for £18.99 on ebay. Apparently, it also overclocks better. I haven't tried myself though.

Back
Top Bottom