• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Still using trusty Q6600

Soldato
It wasn’t Moore’s law that slowed down amd had no real cpu till 2017 there bulldozer crap was totally bad and intel didn’t push the boundaries once they was the only game in town and I doubt the 8700k and 9900k would have been such a jump up with more cores etc intel would have been happy to churn out more 4core cpu to us all.

just goes to show how important having competition in any given space intel keep every other player out of the cpu market with there patents etc but it just goes to show when amd wasn’t close to intel how much intel really don’t inervate or push forward.

I can’t wait to see what intel does next with there cpu and gpu’s over the next few years also same with amd I can see things moving forward to be much bigger leaps

Moore's law is definitely going to face big challenges in the future, we are approaching 1nm limit. Also going from 300nm lithographic process to 90nm is completely different than going from 90nm down to 3,4 or 5nm. The investment in research and infrastructures has been much larger and more difficult to achieve from my understanding, someone correct me if the know better?

Caporegime
Yep bought a Q6600 on launch. I think I had one of the first to land in the UK, ran it overclocked on the Abit IP35 and replaced it when p with a 2500k when that came out. I only upgraded to my 8700 a couple of years ago because I won a motherboard at a competition!
I had this mobo. Was a little beaut. I liked EVGA boards. https://www.evga.com/articles/385.asp

Soldato
I still have asus rampage formula and q6600 and 8GB ram. I had great memories with that, used to play oblivion with a BFG 7800GT.

I still have all of them in working order.

Associate
Moore's law is also determined by what's available to purchase to the consumer, regardless of if better tech is being held back, so it did slow in real terms down with less and less powerful increases per gen. The fact that Intel were likely artificially holding it back for profit, and AMD couldn't compete for years both contributed towards slowing it down.

"Moore's law is an observation and projection of a historical trend and not a physical or natural law. Although the rate held steady from 1975 until around 2012, the rate was faster during the first decade. In general, it is not logically sound to extrapolate from the historical growth rate into the indefinite future. For example, the 2010 update to the International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductorspredicted that growth would slow around 2013,[20] and in 2015 Gordon Moore foresaw that the rate of progress would reach saturation: "I see Moore's law dying here in the next decade or so."[21]"

Man of Honour
Got a Q6600 G0 to put through its paces.

nForce boards (not just the 750) often struggled with the current delivery for an overclocked 65nm core 2 though they'd manage the 45nm variants like the Q9550 fine. I had to do a hardware "volt mod" on my EVGA to get a Q6600 stable at higher overclocks - to quote my old post on it: "my Q6600 did 4gig easy on a P45 board... on the 750i its on now it only does ~3gig tops normally and 3.6gig with a lot of vcore (1.5v) and a volt mod to the motherboard :S"

Soldato
nForce boards (not just the 750) often struggled with the current delivery for an overclocked 65nm core 2 though they'd manage the 45nm variants like the Q9550 fine. I had to do a hardware "volt mod" on my EVGA to get a Q6600 stable at higher overclocks - to quote my old post on it: "my Q6600 did 4gig easy on a P45 board... on the 750i its on now it only does ~3gig tops normally and 3.6gig with a lot of vcore (1.5v) and a volt mod to the motherboard :S"

Oh the Q6600 is going in the Rampage X48 board and not the 780i board (got a Q9550 for that). :)

Associate
Used to have a Q9550 in an Asus P5Q board - believe my friends kids are still using it. Was my first intel quad core - Was using an AMD 965 at some point, and dual/single core athlons before that.

The 3770k has definitely lasted me the longest, a good few years and still going strong in my brothers pc now.

Hoping the 3700x lasts me as long. :)

Associate
I had the e6600, absolute monster of a CPU at the time. My dad was running an FX55 at the time and it couldnt get anywhere near my e6600 in terms of performance.

Associate
My lads still running a Q9550 with 8gb of DDR2 and an SSD on a Maximus Gene II.

My daughter an old E8600 with 4gb of Corsair Dominator GT.

1080p gaming. One will be moving to an i3 with DDR3 when I find a motherboard. The other will get my 4770k system if I upgrade.

Permabanned
My lads still running a Q9550 with 8gb of DDR2 and an SSD on a Maximus Gene II.

My daughter an old E8600 with 4gb of Corsair Dominator GT.

1080p gaming. One will be moving to an i3 with DDR3 when I find a motherboard. The other will get my 4770k system if I upgrade.

Well, your daughter should get the Q9550 system (she doesn't need an i3), and your lad can get the i7-4770K? ;)

Back
Top Bottom