Straight Pride - Right on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I'm proud to be a lesbian", said the lesbian "I'm proud to be a gay man", said the gay man "I'm proud to be straight", said the homophobe......
Again, this is just obtuse. Have you ever faced genuine adversity for being straight? I haven’t.

I have been teased for being straight in a gay club, which I found a little obnoxious... but I imagine that’s how some gay people have been made to feel throughout their lives all the time (at least historically).

Associate
Again, this is just obtuse. Have you ever faced genuine adversity for being straight? I haven’t.

I have been teased for being straight in a gay club, which I found a little obnoxious... but I imagine that’s how some gay people have been made to feel throughout their lives all the time (at least historically).
That old Chestnut yawn........

Soldato
Using violence to achieve political aims is literally the definition of terrorism.

Terrorism is using violence to inflict terror on a population. So the IRA/UDA used bombs to inflict terror. Muslim extremists use bombs, knives, guns to kill and inflict terror on the population. Anti-facists don’t inflict terror on the population, they try to inflict it on the extreme right in answer to the violence of the extreme right. Which is why they aren’t listed as a terrorist organisation.

Maybe some of you haven't realised, but it isn't 'pride' in the sense you think, it is pride in terms of being the antonym for ashamed.

Exactly. Some people on this thread just don’t get it. For decades gay people were made to feel they should be ashamed of what they are. Even today 2 men holding hands walking down a street or showing affection in public will still get comments, maybe not directly to them but comments will still be made. No one would think twice about a man and a woman doing the same.

Soldato
In my younger days I was more right wing than I am today and would have supported a straight pride event. I remember it being talked about back in the late 90's as an event.

But as some other people have said as a straight person I've never been afraid to express my sexuality in public.

I like to try and figure out what is behind these ideas. I think a lot of this is because of the militancy of some people of the LGBT lobby. Not every LGBT people like pride, mainly because its more often than not overly sexual, and some people think this demeans alternative lifestyles of being of a sexual nature (which plays right in to the hands of the anti-LGBT lobby). So I think the straight pride event is a militant counter punch to the militants who seem to not just want acceptance, but want to also be provocative too.

Associate
They aren’t a terrorist organisation.

That's because they aren't technically a group, it's an ideology where different groups adhere to.

The anti-defamation league and Noam Chomsky had both called them out for their violence and the US homeland security have investigated terror based plots by their members. They are a fundamentally violent movement and as close to a non-proscribed terror group as you can get.

Back to the original point. Pride isn't about celebrating being gay, it's celebrating being able to say you are.

Associate
Imagine how sad an insecure you'd have to be to want to organise this event... getting triggered by gay people having fun in the street once a year, the horror.

The thing is I'm sure people will have pointed out the obvious and valid arguments as to why gay pride march is needed and why a straight one isn't... but like most of these 'troll' types the organisers simply don't care about logic and reasoning. They just want to troll the other side because that's where their heads are at in this cancerous culture war.

Soldato
Antifa aren't even just against the "far right", they're generally left wing extremists who are also against things like Capitalism

Man of Honour
[..] I really dont see the point of the marginalised celebrations we get in this country. Its just more divisive.

Which, obviously, is the point. Division and the resulting irrational prejudice and discrimination. What else could a biological group pride ideology be for? All that changes is which strains of the biological group pride ideology are fashionable.

Man of Honour
[..] None of that should have anything to do with Gay Pride though except some douche wants to organise a parade and call it Straight Pride, which implies there is something wrong with being gay, why else call it the opposite of Gay Pride? If someone wants to organise a parade to bring society together, great do it but as soon as you call it Straight Pride it becomes divisive.

Which is a large part of the point, since everything you've just written applies equally well to gay pride for exactly the same reasons. As you say yourself, "X pride" implies there is something wrong with being not X. That's why a person is proud of being X, for whatever value of X. A person can't be proud of X unless they regard it as being better than not-X. If they don't, there is no reason for pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom