Strange Chrome issue

Soldato
As of a couple of weeks ago my Chrome started playing up. It was just after i changed OcUK posts per thread view setting to 100 so originally assumed it was something to do with that. It was happening all the time in large threads, when i scroll down the whole window goes really bright. Now I can only reproduce it 100% on the forum update thread but is happening with my other tabs too, such as on Facebook when I scroll down the videos page. I can make it go back to normal by scrolling up again. I have just had it happen with my email. I got a new email and when i clicked it on it everything went bright, if i scrolled down the email it went back to normal again.

This is when i clicked on the email:

This is when i scrolled down:

Even the tab headings are affected. I think it has to do with some sort of content on the page but cannot figure it out at all. Anyone come across something like this before?

Associate
Never heard of anything similar. Have you tried updating your video card drivers? In addition, have you installed any new extensions near the time the issue started happening?

Soldato
OP
Ad Block Plus. I've disabled it for now and will see if it reoccurs. Happens instantly on the forum update page. Will try Edge.

EDIT
Exactly the same behaviour in Chrome too...

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Yes it looks exactly like that! I'll double check tonight but I'm pretty sure if I drag the window to my other screen the problem stops. I have a 3070ti with an LG 27GP850-B (HDR enabled) and a Dell IPS monitor (problem occurs on this one). I will double check connection types and Dell model number tonight as well.
Although it's happening on the non-HDR screen, can you turn off HDR and see if it still happens? I remember W11 having some weird auto HDR thing so it could be applying it to all monitors instead of just the HDR one, if @Cooners 's TV is also HDR that could also explain why it's happening to him as well.

Soldato
OP
Yeah my next step was to confirm it definitely did go back to normal if I moved it to the HDR screen. Unfortunately even though it's been immediately reproducible on the forum update thread it's just not doing it now, I found the email it did it with too and that's not doing it either. For what it's worth the second screen is a Dell P2417H plugged in via HDMI, the LG is plugged in via display port.

Soldato
I'm suspecting it's the auto HDR feature which tries to enhance SDR games to HDR, and for some reason it was picking up Chrome as a SDR game, which may look fine on a HDR screen, but messed up on a SDR screen. Windows should limit it to the HDR screen but for some reason it carried over to the SDR screen. Maybe turn that feature off (you can still keep HDR and HDR video streaming on) if it happens again:

SUSRX52.png

Soldato
OP
I've had that Auto HDR setting on since I've had the LG monitor. There has been a new Chrome build released in the last day or so with an install date on my PC of yesterday, maybe that fixed it and is why I can't reproduce it now.

Associate
Well at least I wasn't the only one with this problem. I was getting close to going for a full reinstall for the sake of my eyes as nobody else had seemed to have this problem. As of now it seems to have stopped doing it so can only assume there was an update that fixed it as I didn't do anything since I gave up trying last night.
I have three monitors all none HDR and all having this problem whilst my HDR enabled TV wasn't having the issue. As it now seems to be fixed so I can't try turning off HDR to see if that was the cause but at least we've got some idea of what caused it now.
Just for the record auto HDR was turned off on my system.
It didn't look like it was the brand of monitor as mine were all Asus and my TV was Sony. Also I have a 5700xt GFX card so it was clearly affecting both AMD and Nvidea cards so it can only be an issue affecting people with a mix of HDR and non-HDR monitors.
I just hope it's gone for good.

Associate
just to add after reading this I checked the log for the lastest Chrome version and found this in there:

HDR/Windows: SDR displays must have 80 nits

For tone mapping, I changed Windows to treat SDR displays as being 203
nits.

What I didn't think through in doing this is that SDR displays will use
HDR pixel formats, and when they do, setting the SDR white level to
203 nits will result in everything being 2.5x brighter than it should
be.

Change the logic to not override the SDR white level for non-HDR
displays. This will go back to the default value of 80. Also do not
compute the HDR max luminance for non-HDR displays.

Add a TODO to not use HDR formats on non-HDR-capable displays.

So you guys were spot on and it looks like it's been fixed

Back
Top Bottom