Streaming Hardware Help

Associate
Hi guys. Straight to business!

I5 4690k @ 4.2ghz
H100i AIO cooler
Msi 980ti gpu
8gb Corsair vengeance
Aoc 1080p 144hz monitor

This is my current set up. I’m now starting to delve into streaming after already having a go at content creating. I’m also using OBS for streaming.

With my current set up I’m in able to stream 720p@30fps. It’s extremley laggy and jumps a whole lot! When this is turned down to 480p@30 it’s a little smoother but the quality of the image is so poor! I tried different settings and different games but unable to catch smooth 720@30, I’m curious if anyone has had the same or can they put this down to hardware limitations?

If so I was thinking about either upgrading to the devils canyon to see if that has a greater effect? If not it’s a whole system using the new coffee lake i7! I’d rather not spend the money first Incase it’s something else that may be causing the issue but I’ve hadn’t no luck on researching it and it’s driving me crazy!

My current cpu is a 4c4t, could this be the issue? Streaming pubg is quite cpu heavy already, could streaming at the same time just be too much for my 4th gen i5? Anyone else had similar issues?

When I set obs to test my system and set up automatically it sets the res down to 480 and bit rate to about 500. Almost 3000 below what should acceptable for smooth frames.

Sorry there’s quite a lot to read and digest but thought I’d share as much as I can , if any of it helps me identify an issue.

Also, for upgrades..... does the 8700k with hex cores really make more difference then if I purchased a second hand 4970k 4c8t devils canyon?

Thanks in advance!

Dirti

Soldato
More cores and threads the better !
Upgrade to i7k version of your chipset for a start .
980ti should be fine at 1080p streaming, but the most powerful card the better , lots of small little things that can effect quality of the stream , worst being min frame dips. But I have a feeling your not going for a stream account that is watched by millions so you'd be fine :)

Another way, not sure how cheap you can get it is using a 2nd pc as the stream machine, would need a capture card though

Associate
Its also worth testing with the vnenc encoder instead of x264 (obs settings - output, streaming tab, encoder) It moves the bulk of the encoding work from the cpu to the gpu. Tends to give a less clear, muddier output but should give you better performance. As above the biggest hurdle in your system is being limited to 4 threads on the i5

Associate
OP
Its also worth testing with the vnenc encoder instead of x264 (obs settings - output, streaming tab, encoder) It moves the bulk of the encoding work from the cpu to the gpu. Tends to give a less clear, muddier output but should give you better performance. As above the biggest hurdle in your system is being limited to 4 threads on the i5

Tried this and the picture was indeed less clearer, although a lot smoother output. Problem is its still horrible to watch.

Your cpu is probably the limit.
Your internet connection up speed also matters a lot.
Quite a big outlay for a new i7 rig. Consider carefully if it's worth.

My up speed test my about 1mbps which is quite bad also. I dont want to spend money on a rig if the upload is the primary issue. Im gonna contact sky and see what they can do. My options otheriwse would be 4th gen i7 4790k, if that doesnt work id rather have just purchased a new coffee lake. But question then is, do i want 1 rig to do all, or two rigs split!? Im no where near being a professional streamer so would it be overkill? $$$

A capture card rig is probably your best bet.
Myabe a cheap rig with a strong processor and capture card maybe cheaper option? especially if i have to buy a new processor. Could fit together a cheap streaming rig. Am i right in thinking the main focus is the CPU, on board gpu would be enough?

Soldato
GPU is good enough for level your going . Pros will always have the best to achieve a flawless 60hz stream the whole way through/recording .
CPU is main focus .
Also depends on what games your playing..BF1 multiplayer will eat as many cores it can get, also with assassin's creed

Associate
OP

I guess that’s the lowest they offer looking at that site mate. Problem is I’m also in an area where it’s not firbe . Trying to make the best of a bad situation. I’ll start by seeing if they’re can provide the 9.5mb upload see if that makes a change. If not then perhaps hardware it is!

GPU is good enough for level your going . Pros will always have the best to achieve a flawless 60hz stream the whole way through/recording .
CPU is main focus .
Also depends on what games your playing..BF1 multiplayer will eat as many cores it can get, also with assassin's creed

At the moment PUBG. Also like playing various other games which arent so taxing. Mainly sci-fi really. If I keep the 980ti for the gaming rig, I’ve also read u can use built in graphics on cpus for streaming if I have a dedicated system for it?

So decent cpu. More threads/cores. Fairly decent gpu to run the game in the first place and a Nice upload speed!

Back
Top Bottom