STS-134 Shuttle Mission to the International Space Station Launches Monday 16th @ 13:56 BST

Soldato
I was doing my A levels when the first Shuttle went up, and it's really sad to be watching them winding down.

But I guess as I'm in favour of radically sorting out the debt problems we have in the West I can't really complain if manned spaceflight gets cut back radically. Still, this is truly inspirational stuff at the edges of human potential, and there's not much else which can really stir your imagination in the same way.

Or make you hold your breath for two minutes. :)

Soldato
what sort of spec are we looking at for the onboard computers and at houston.

Old stuff I think, no idea really of specs, but I've hear onboard memory after being upgraded is around 1MB, yep megabyte.

TBH the computers don't need to be powerful, they just need to crunch numbers and to be reliable in space.

Soldato
I was doing my A levels when the first Shuttle went up, and it's really sad to be watching them winding down.

But I guess as I'm in favour of radically sorting out the debt problems we have in the West I can't really complain if manned spaceflight gets cut back radically. Still, this is truly inspirational stuff at the edges of human potential, and there's not much else which can really stir your imagination in the same way.

Or make you hold your breath for two minutes. :)

Of course we can damn well complain!

g5BF6.jpg

And just for the record, that's the first launch i've seen live and my first A Level exam is on Wednesday :)

Soldato
They're not running Windows, we can assume that much ;)

No, didn't NASA avoid switching to i486 because of an unacceptable number of computing errors. Not sure what happened since then...

Does NASA use intel cpus for al their systems, ground control and onboard the shuttle and ISS, or do they build their own processors?

Man of Honour
OP
Back
Top Bottom