STS-134 Shuttle Mission to the International Space Station Launches Monday 16th @ 13:56 BST

Soldato
Just wanted to say thanks simulatorman for keeping this thread updated, I wouldn't have known they were launching if it wasn't for your updates. :)

Managed to watch the full launch in HD as it went, fantastic as usual! :D

Soldato
Just wanted to say thanks simulatorman for keeping this thread updated, I wouldn't have known they were launching if it wasn't for your updates. :)

Managed to watch the full launch in HD as it went, fantastic as usual! :D

I am going to have to find some HD links later, I was watching the feed from the NASA TV website, shortly after launch the quality of the video went dire :(

Man of Honour
OP
545717main201105169900.jpg

The post launch briefing:

Man of Honour
Wish i had that kind of foresight, lulled into a false sense of quitness as no one had called for a while! :(

I figured the best way to avoid getting interrupted was to invite the whole (small) team to watch, so 60 seconds before launch I fired up a fullscreen HD feed on my 27in work monitor and invited them all to my desk. So yes, I saw the launch live. :D

Associate
im assuming that its some form of unix based computer they use, and i hope its fortran code its using, the fact i understand fortran now, means i could program shuttle code :D

awesome launch though, great to see the AMS2 get up into space after so many years

Man of Honour
Niet on both counts - the shuttle GPCs are based on IBM AP-101S computers[1], which are derivatives of IBM System/360 mainframes[2]. The software is written in HAL/S[1][2], a language similar to PL/I, which is in turn somewhat similar to COBOL (I've worked with IBM mainframes and both of the latter two languages).

Sources - Wikipedia - [1] [2] [3].

Man of Honour
OP
The wakeup call for today (03:56 BST) was Beautiful Day by U2 and the plan is:

Flight Day 2

• Endeavour’s Thermal Protection System Survey with shuttle robotic arm/Orbiter Boom Sensor System (OBSS)
• Extravehicular mobility unit checkout
• Centerline camera installation
• Orbiter docking system ring extension
• Rendezvous tools checkout​

Soldato
The wakeup call for today (03:56 BST) was Beautiful Day by U2 and the plan is:

Flight Day 2

• Endeavour’s Thermal Protection System Survey with shuttle robotic arm/Orbiter Boom Sensor System (OBSS)
• Extravehicular mobility unit checkout
• Centerline camera installation
• Orbiter docking system ring extension
• Rendezvous tools checkout​

SM- I know almost everything there is to know about Mercury, Gemini and Apollo but the shuttle didnt hold my interest the same way, on the Apollo flights one man would always stay up (or supposed to), do all the crew sleep at the same time or do they still have one man stay awake?

Man of Honour
OP
SM- I know almost everything there is to know about Mercury, Gemini and Apollo but the shuttle didnt hold my interest the same way, on the Apollo flights one man would always stay up (or supposed to), do all the crew sleep at the same time or do they still have one man stay awake?

They all sleep at the same time. They can be woken up easily and do all need to be working the same “shift”. When it comes to docking with the ISS both crews usually sleep at the same time so that they can work together on the same shift but they can have a different shift patterns.

Back
Top Bottom