STS-135 - The Final Space Shuttle Mission

Soldato
Going to be emotional for a lot of people, qeustion though, is it solely down to the Soyuz now for replenishing / refuelling the ISS?

I don't think so, it will be the only way of getting people to and from the station but supplies can be carried on Progress vehicles (which are launched on a Soyuz rocket) and i believe the ESA has a couple more of it's own ATVs left to launch on Ariane 5s.

Soldato
Sorry if this has been asked, but until there are new spacecraft to take people to space, how will they get people to and from the ISS? Rely on the Russians?
For the time being yes. Soyuz will transport personnel while the European ATV will shuttle supplies and remove waste. The ATV remains attached to the ISS for some time, and even boosts it's altitude (something the shuttle once did).

Soldato
If the launch is delayed on Friday, does anyone know the times of the next possible launches on Sat and Sun?

I'm meant to be traveling on sunday for a couple of hours and don't want to miss this if it gets postponed

Man of Honour
Most of us are probably lurkers and not much to do other than watch your videos. Realy enjoyed the hour and a bit one about the space shuttle program.

Soldato
Not sure whether I'll be able to watch it if it launches as planned tomorrow :(, though I'll give it a damn good go. Got WiFi at the hotel and a local 3G SIM in my iPad (data on my iPhone would be something stupid like £3.50/MB) but I reckon I'll be out at sea at the time of the launch... fingers crossed there'll be cellular coverage out there!

Back
Top Bottom