Stulid Tested all of OcUK Thermal Paste Range

Associate
Excellent effort Stulid +1

Shame you didnt test the Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad, would be interested to see how this would perform. Cmon OCUK do a test and add the results!

my mate has been using the metal pad as a replacement for the intel tim under the lid of his ivy and thinks it's the best thing ever. although he is just using some gelid tim on the top of the lid. his testing has his ivy (3570k) at 4.8Ghz at low to mid 60c at load.

V F

V F

Soldato
From all the number of sites/reviews, even this one, why is it various pastes of Shin-Etsu never gets tested? yet I always keep seeing it's getting raved about from certain enthusiasts.

Soldato
What I've taken from this is that there are two outliers, one hard to apply/remove and one just rubbish under load. Aside from that they're all pretty similar? Nothing glaringly bad or outstanding?

I have used the gelid paste and mx-4 on different machines.

Soldato
Nice roundup Stu. The range at OcUK is arguably the best in the country. It's nice to see a comparison of them all in the same situation.

I have been using the Gelid Extreme for about three years now but my choice for the next build is a bit harder.

Very good comparison, but the IC diamond 7 and 24 are exactly the same product.....

I find the IC diamond a nightmare for application and removal and went back to AS5 some time ago! Shame its such bad value for money currently!

Associate
Arctic silver 5 is still pretty decent then.

Decent if only looking at temps.

But you should consider the risks involved in using AS5.

GJ Stulid.

I bought pk-1 a couple weeks ago, couldn't wait for the tests. Looks like I made the right choice though. I aimed at purchasing one which was easy to apply and it looks like only Gelid Extreme and MX-2 surpassed PK-1.

Associate
In several other large tests like these, the PK-1 is usually the nest performer.

I'm quite surprised how MX4 got beat by MX2, Arctic claim MX4 is much better.

How long did you leave the pastes to cure?

Soldato
from as website

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

i have heard of this but not heard of anyone actually having problems with it.

and how long has as 5 been on the market? 7 years?

Man of Honour
A lot of pastes need a few days use before they really come alive. I believe the IC-Diamond is one of these. At first I didn't notice any improvement in temps but after a weeks use, they dropped more.

AS5 is capacitive and I don't think any of the other pastes shared this characteristic.

Well, if you smear it all over the circuitboard then you're going to have issues. You could say the same about water and watercooling.

Back
Top Bottom