Stutter in games with high end system

Associate
I'm at my wits end with this current PC build I've literally replaced every component trying to fix the stuttering I'm getting in games.

My initial system started off as:
8700k delidded @ 5ghz @ 1.38v
Z370 gaming 5 motherboard
16gb corsair veangence rgb pro 3200
2 x 500gb Samsung evo 970 nvme drives
GTX 1080 strix
Corsair rm850x psu
Custom watercooling cpu and gpu with 2 x 360 rads
Dell 27 inch 1440p 144hz gsync monitor

I experienced stutter in pubg, farcry 5, metro last light, battlefield V and apex legends. I thought the issue was hardware related after switching drivers and clean OS install so I swapped my GPU to an RTX 2080 the stutter remained, swapped my 2 500gb nvme drives to a single 1tb 970 evo plus, stutter still remains, swapped my motherboard to a Z390 aorus master, stutter still remains, swapped my memory to 16gb gskill trident rgb 3600 and stutter still remains. my new system is now:

8700k delidded @5ghz 1.38v
Z390 aorus master
16gb trident z rgb 3600
RTX 2080 msi ventus
1tb Samsung evo 970 plus nvme
RM850x psu
Same custom loop 2 x 360 rads with both gpu and cpu cooled.
Same Dell gsync 144hz monitor

Im using latest drivers for everything I'm now at my wits end and considering cpu and psu swap to try and fix it. Please help

Soldato
Describe the type of stutter as best you can. How often, how big are the fps dips, how long do they last, plus anything else you can think of. Are they connected to any mouse movement at all?

Also keep an eye on Task Manager's Resource Monitor > Disk > Disk Activity, right after you experience the stutters, and check if there's a big write offender there.

Remove any overclocking for now. Try lowering the refresh rate on the monitor to 120Hz or something.

Given what you've already replaced and clean OS install/s, it could well end up being CPU if not PSU.

Associate
OP
I dont actually get any fps drops which is the most confusing part my fps is solid I do notice huge frametime spikes when it happens. I'm unsure if it is connected to mouse movement it's hard to tell but I dont think its is.

When I get home from work I will check the disk reads in task manager and see what this shows.

I would have thought a faulty cpu with show other signs than just stutters gaming but at this point I dont know what to think its driving me insane and costing a fortune

Soldato
Ditto all of @Danny75 suggestions - plus did you do custom install or did you allow windows complete autonomy when installing it's monitoring software?

Remove any overclocking for now.

And strongly suggest that you do this first - save a profile first before setting system to defaults if it's a thrid party clock.

Associate
OP
Ditto all of @Danny75 suggestions - plus did you do custom install or did you allow windows complete autonomy when installing it's monitoring software?

And strongly suggest that you do this first - save a profile first before setting system to defaults if it's a thrid party clock.

I did a custom install and then I have gone through after and done all my normal windows 10 tweaks turning off all monitoring software privacy ect plus I tune my visual settings for enhanced performance.

I never install geforce experience its utter trash. I have not actually tried the prefetch/superfetch fix I will definitely give that a try

Associate
Sounds like the Overclock to me or Windows Updates causing issues, a reinstall may fix it. Personally I am not a fan of Windows 10 and find less issues occur with Windows 7. Shame 7 is coming to the end.

Soldato
try disabling superfetch/prefetch in windows and if you are using GeForce experience try removing that see if it helps.

I used to get stutters and micro pauses a lot before disabling superfetch

link below shows you how to as one of them you have to disable via the registry
https://zillowtech.com/disable-superfetch-prefetch-windows-10.html

Info now out of date. Superfetch is now Sysmain, or part of Sysmain. So can try disabling that if he wants. However, did run into an issue with Sysmain disabled. Started to run out of virtual memory, because it wasn't swapping out Standby files in memory cache. Rebooting more often could deal with that. Or using RamMap to flush standby files from memory. But I just set Sysmain back on for now as not enough info is out there yet, to explain whether it's purely the new name for Superfetch, or if it also does other more essential stuff.

Soldato
I'm unsure if it is connected to mouse movement it's hard to tell but I dont think its is.

Can confirm by using any game that has a train (or something that achieves the same result) in it, and hopping aboard the train so the CPU and GPU have to keep working rendering but no need to touch mouse. GTA has that for example.

Associate
OP
Thinking about it in farcry 5 when I select autodrive to a location and dont touch anything I still get the random stutter.

It almost seems like its loading lag but I've replaced my pair of 500gb nvme drives with a single 1tb evo plus and I've swapped the motherboard and it shows my nvme at pcie 3.0 X4 and I've swapped my ram to a faster set

Not changed the psu yet it's a brand new corsair rm850x I guess that and my cpu are the last 2 things left though I cant imagine it being the cpu

Last edited:
Associate
Crazy as it sounds, have you checked or swapped the simple things ? Ie sata cables? Wireless adaptors if any? Sometimes a problem like this can drive people crazy and 9 out of 10 times it's something stupid. Not saying it is, but maybe it's worth looking in to the simple stuff.

Associate
OP
Crazy as it sounds, have you checked or swapped the simple things ? Ie sata cables? Wireless adaptors if any? Sometimes a problem like this can drive people crazy and 9 out of 10 times it's something stupid. Not saying it is, but maybe it's worth looking in to the simple stuff.
yep swapped sata cables and even my back up drive from a WD green 2tb 5400rpm to a barracuda 2tb 7200rpm.

Associate
OP
Fair enough, is there any extras installed? Or is it just the mobo, cpu, drive, gfx, psu and ram?
No extras I did have a soundblaster AE5 but returned that to remove it from the equation.

Been home an hour and I've completely removed all overclocking and issue still remains. I've run the graph monitoring in afterburnwr and there are sudden fps drops and huge frametime spikes when it stutters in BFV

Back
Top Bottom