Stuttering/ frame drops despite fairly good specs?

Man of Honour
Associate
That's a decent cooler. You've had so many crashes that I wonder if Windows has become corrupt. You might consider a reinstall from scratch.
This. The PC in question is a prebuilt system, the crap they'll have put on there will be astonishing. Do a clean install of Windows (not a reset). Obviously either back-up the OS or ensure you have the original image usb/cd/partition still secure first.

Associate
OP
I would strongly advise you to get a quality psu it may or may not be the source of your current problem but a quality build needs quality components.

Corsair rm Phanteks amp to name a few.
That's the plan so far when I can I'll get a quality psu and calling an electrician as soon as possible I feel like it's one of the two.

This. The PC in question is a prebuilt system, the crap they'll have put on there will be astonishing. Do a clean install of Windows (not a reset). Obviously either back-up the OS or ensure you have the original image usb/cd/partition still secure first.

I've clean installed via usb using media creation tool (tried regular reset at first) and installed nothing but AMD GPU driver and AMD chipset installs I'll just list the things I've tried with help from the people over at techpowerup forums.

Disabled PBO (builders enabled when I had stock cooler on)
Updated all drivers via AMD Auto detect
Made sure Ryzen Master was running on the default OC mode
Updated bios
Disabled XMP (and setting different memory times)
Increased DRAM voltage
Disabling Radeon Software Auto OC tuner
Disabled/Enabled Freesync
Disabled/Enabled Vsync
Disabled Enhanced Sync
Increased memory clock
Decreased core clock
Cleaning old drivers with the AMD cleanup utility
Disabled PCIE power saving
Disabled 10-bit pixel format
Disabled Microsoft game bar
Disabled discord overlay
Set audio channel to "stereo"
Increased the card's power limit via MSI Afterburner
Updated Ryzen Master
Set refresh rate to 60hz (from 144)
Set games to run at 1080p
Ran memtest for 3 hours, 3/4 passes with no errors
Ran crystaldisk, ssd came up as healthy
Reseated GPU
Reseated RAM
After all that is when I clean installed with the usb (Sorry for the long message just wanted to list what has been tested).

Associate
i am pointing towards gpu fault as this isn't the first case of the new amd gpu doing this on certain games. have you another gpu to test with for safety or maybe even use ddu (display driver uninstaller) to remove all amd gpu driver and check to not allow windows update to install gpu driver then re-install latest from amd?

Associate
OP
i am pointing towards gpu fault as this isn't the first case of the new amd gpu doing this on certain games. have you another gpu to test with for safety or maybe even use ddu (display driver uninstaller) to remove all amd gpu driver and check to not allow windows update to install gpu driver then re-install latest from amd?
I have an old Zotac GTX 950 but the internal fans are broken inside the gpu, would this still be an effective test? I just want to point out I did go to Microcenter and grab a brand new one of the same model. If I want to be honest I really feel like it's my house's electrical wiring so I'm definitely going to call an electrician too.

Soldato
I have an old Zotac GTX 950 but the internal fans are broken inside the gpu, would this still be an effective test? I just want to point out I did go to Microcenter and grab a brand new one of the same model. If I want to be honest I really feel like it's my house's electrical wiring so I'm definitely going to call an electrician too.

if you can point a 120mm fan at the card to test it, if you get stutters still with a 950 then it's 2 options, either house eletrics or the psu is playing up, saying that if the pc behaves normally in game with the 950 installed then it could be you 6700xt that may have a problem. its a process of elimination at this point, bit annopying to say the least but thats pc's sometimes

Associate
OP
if you can point a 120mm fan at the card to test it, if you get stutters still with a 950 then it's 2 options, either house eletrics or the psu is playing up, saying that if the pc behaves normally in game with the 950 installed then it could be you 6700xt that may have a problem. its a process of elimination at this point, bit annopying to say the least but thats pc's sometimes
Sorry for the late reply but I managed to throw my 950 in this rig and to my surprise the internal fans work just fine (guess it was my old psu or something in the old rig)

First game I started was Mordhau, couldn't keep any original settings so I put everything to low and res to 1080p I got about 80-90 fps I really didn't see any major stutters while I was playing just a bit choppy from the lack of sync

RDR2: Ran in windowed 720p mostly all low settings (couldn't get it to run in fullscreen at least) ran at a sub 32fps which dips to 25fps in big gunfights but it was still playable

TF2: Original settings hit an avg of 100fps but there were definitely stutters while playing.

I don't wanna jinx myself but it seems the 950 is performing more stable? Would it be the fact the power cables are 6 pin and a 2 pin? Or is that the standard for these cards?

Soldato
I don't wanna jinx myself but it seems the 950 is performing more stable? Would it be the fact the power cables are 6 pin and a 2 pin? Or is that the standard for these cards?

the 6+2 gpu cables are the new standard for psu's instead of having a 6 pin and a 8pin gpu sepratly they combine the two so there are less cables to ship, the 6+2 cable does the same job as a dedicated 6 and 8 pin cable but combines them into one cable, regarding the 950's performance its good to see less fps spikes in a few games you play but if you still have issues it could be down to the psu, it cant hurt to have a electrician to pop round to make sure everything good with the house wiring though, at this point i'd look at a better psu in all honesty.

my thinking was that because the 950 is quite a low end card thease days the load applied to the psu would be less, but as you say in TF2 your still getting bad fps lag, have you downloaded a program called HWinfo64?, if not may be worth a go and when you start it up select sensors-only and run it in the background while gaming, after a while exit your game and scroll through the data and keep an eye out for any reading thats in red, if so list all of the red values and we'll see whats causing the problem.

Associate
OP
the 6+2 gpu cables are the new standard for psu's instead of having a 6 pin and a 8pin gpu sepratly they combine the two so there are less cables to ship, the 6+2 cable does the same job as a dedicated 6 and 8 pin cable but combines them into one cable, regarding the 950's performance its good to see less fps spikes in a few games you play but if you still have issues it could be down to the psu, it cant hurt to have a electrician to pop round to make sure everything good with the house wiring though, at this point i'd look at a better psu in all honesty.

my thinking was that because the 950 is quite a low end card thease days the load applied to the psu would be less, but as you say in TF2 your still getting bad fps lag, have you downloaded a program called HWinfo64?, if not may be worth a go and when you start it up select sensors-only and run it in the background while gaming, after a while exit your game and scroll through the data and keep an eye out for any reading thats in red, if so list all of the red values and we'll see whats causing the problem.
I downloaded HWInfo and fired up Hell let loose (I know it's not exactly the most optimized) but the stutters were ungodly walking in that game would cause it, gpu usage and clocks all over the place here's a few screenshots of hwinfo and afterburner graphs, I apologize again for the long hiatus. I'm assuming it is indeed the psu at this point but I'm tempted to just refund and try to get a gpu if possible and build my own machine.

https://imgur.com/a/vDuEPde (screenshots of hwinfo, afterburner and gpu-z)
vDuEPde

Soldato
I downloaded HWInfo and fired up Hell let loose (I know it's not exactly the most optimized) but the stutters were ungodly walking in that game would cause it, gpu usage and clocks all over the place here's a few screenshots of hwinfo and afterburner graphs, I apologize again for the long hiatus. I'm assuming it is indeed the psu at this point but I'm tempted to just refund and try to get a gpu if possible and build my own machine.

https://imgur.com/a/vDuEPde (screenshots of hwinfo, afterburner and gpu-z)
vDuEPde

i've had a good scan through the provided screenshots and in hwinfo64 everything looks really good tbh, your psu is working a treat with pretty solid voltages and temps on the cpu and gpu in the 60's is also very very good, may i ask what game you were playing that was causing the cpu in msi afterburner to reach 79 degrees (85 peak)? as that is a bit warm, so far as i can see the hardware you have is working as intended, it might just be a poorly optomised game(s) on amd hardware.

i did notice wild cpu usage in msi afterburner which may explain the lag your seeing in some games as they may have been coded to run more on the cpu than the gpu, but tempratures could also be a factor, 85 peak is quite warm, i play a lot of destiny 2 and i see around 20-30% use on my 5950x but the line is almost flat and not bouncing around.

when you start a affected game bring up task manager and find the details tab, in here find the game.exe and right click on it, from there click on "set affinity", here we are going to select specific cores to run on the game, to begin with only select 4 cores total, normally first 4 (0-3) head back in to the game and see if the fps gets better, if so then we found the problem, if not i'd look at updating drivers again to be sure.

if the above steps dont work then i'd put your problems down to poorly optomised games to run with amd, i only say that now as the screenshots of hwinfo64 paint a pretty good picture hardware wise, nothig looks out of place really.

Associate
OP
i've had a good scan through the provided screenshots and in hwinfo64 everything looks really good tbh, your psu is working a treat with pretty solid voltages and temps on the cpu and gpu in the 60's is also very very good, may i ask what game you were playing that was causing the cpu in msi afterburner to reach 79 degrees (85 peak)? as that is a bit warm, so far as i can see the hardware you have is working as intended, it might just be a poorly optomised game(s) on amd hardware.

i did notice wild cpu usage in msi afterburner which may explain the lag your seeing in some games as they may have been coded to run more on the cpu than the gpu, but tempratures could also be a factor, 85 peak is quite warm, i play a lot of destiny 2 and i see around 20-30% use on my 5950x but the line is almost flat and not bouncing around.

when you start a affected game bring up task manager and find the details tab, in here find the game.exe and right click on it, from there click on "set affinity", here we are going to select specific cores to run on the game, to begin with only select 4 cores total, normally first 4 (0-3) head back in to the game and see if the fps gets better, if so then we found the problem, if not i'd look at updating drivers again to be sure.

if the above steps dont work then i'd put your problems down to poorly optomised games to run with amd, i only say that now as the screenshots of hwinfo64 paint a pretty good picture hardware wise, nothig looks out of place really.

Thanks for the response back I'll admit the high cpu temps are in anything demanding (RDR2, Hell Let Loose, Gears 5, Battlefront II) the only games that have great temps are source games like L4D and TF2, I also tried setting 4 cores affinity as you suggested (core 0-3) and it resulted in roughly the same performance as before. I just find it hard to believe considering RDR2 and Gears are optimized for AMD but at this point what else could it be? lol might just settle for less performance and go nvidia to be honest.

Soldato
Thanks for the response back I'll admit the high cpu temps are in anything demanding (RDR2, Hell Let Loose, Gears 5, Battlefront II) the only games that have great temps are source games like L4D and TF2, I also tried setting 4 cores affinity as you suggested (core 0-3) and it resulted in roughly the same performance as before. I just find it hard to believe considering RDR2 and Gears are optimized for AMD but at this point what else could it be? lol might just settle for less performance and go nvidia to be honest.

i will say nvidia do have a lot better drivers and if amd where to ever do the same a lot of ppl would by amd instead, they relase some truly great hardware but often loose out on the driver side of things, which is a real shame tbh.

Associate
OP
i will say nvidia do have a lot better drivers and if amd where to ever do the same a lot of ppl would by amd instead, they relase some truly great hardware but often loose out on the driver side of things, which is a real shame tbh.
I also just tried another game I haven't tried on this rig Batman Arkham Origins and that game ran pretty fine besides loading in a new level or asset it'll drop from 144 fps to like 132-120fps and stutter till it comes back up. I guess this really is just AMD drivers. bummer for sure.

Back
Top Bottom