Stuttering with RTX 2080

Associate
So recently I’ve been having ridiculous amounts of stuttering during gaming. I have a RTX 2080. I know very little about computer stuff so try and bear with me.

I’ve kept my GPU drivers up to date firstly and my pc is less than 9 months old too.

I have noticed that when I get the stutter my on screen fps dips to around 0 and then shoots back up to its cap at around 144.

Using task manager I have also seen a slight increase in cpu usage (up from 20% to 30%) and a dip in my gpu usage from 30 to 20 at the same time when it stutters/freezes. Another process increases on my cpu though, and that is windows explorer (if that helps) at the time of a spike/stutter.

My initial thoughts were potentially to do a full windows reinstall?

Permabanned
Usually that sort of thing indicates that your PC is doing something else that just denies the GPU of the data it needs to do things smoothly. Like for example its loading in data from a hard disk. So I would go along the idea of investigating just exactly what Explorer is doing rather than re-installing Windows. It's probably doing something that in it's tiny mind it thinks is important. You just need to find out what and stop it doing it.

Associate
OP
Usually that sort of thing indicates that your PC is doing something else that just denies the GPU of the data it needs to do things smoothly. Like for example its loading in data from a hard disk. So I would go along the idea of investigating just exactly what Explorer is doing rather than re-installing Windows. It's probably doing something that in it's tiny mind it thinks is important. You just need to find out what and stop it doing it.

Where would I start with that investigation though because I have no idea what the explorer or anything else could be doing :confused:

Associate
Are you running the latest version of Corsairs Icue software by any chance ?
That was causing my Rtx 2070 Super to stutter in games last weekend.
Removed it and the card now works as it should.

Cheers all

Associate
OP
Are you running the latest version of Corsairs Icue software by any chance ?
That was causing my Rtx 2070 Super to stutter in games last weekend.
Removed it and the card now works as it should.

Cheers all

Oh to be honest I’m not sure. My stutter is intermittent though but yesterday I’m convinced it actually got worse. Some of the stutters were around 1-2 seconds rather than half a second so it’s gone from annoying to kind of unplayable.

Associate
Oh to be honest I’m not sure. My stutter is intermittent though but yesterday I’m convinced it actually got worse. Some of the stutters were around 1-2 seconds rather than half a second so it’s gone from annoying to kind of unplayable.
Check in programs through the start menu to see if the Corsair software is installed.

Associate
Work looking I uninstalled the current version of icue 3.19.120 & reinstalled the previous version and the stutter is now cured.

Was getting ready to rma the rtx 2070 super as its under a month old.

Also its worth looking in Nvidia control panel & making sure max performance is selected & not optimal or adaptive, so you card is not getting throttled power wise.

Cheers all

Associate
Make sure your card is set to max performance in the NVidia settings & double check your power plan settings in windows control panel to see if anything is set to low power mode in there too.

Associate
OP
latest windows version installed ? power plan set to max in nvidia and windows ?

https://wccftech.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-update/

Yeah checked these.

Increase virtual memory ?

To be honest I’m not actually sure what this means or how to achieve it?

Does the same issue occur when running graphics benchmarking software?
nope, only in certain scenarios it seems to get set off.

I’ve done a full windows reinstall now and I’m going to do some more testing over the weekend which hopefully fixes it, as I haven’t had a lot of time to fault find.

Permabanned
Another thing to try is to exclude all your game folders from windows virus checking. Virus and threat protection settings. Manage settings. Exclusions. Add all your game folder. You may also find that individual folders in your user folder are causing problems.

Back
Top Bottom