Stuttering with RTX 2080

Soldato
what about your psu, gpu issues can be caused by a failing psu, the gpu and cpu under high load will pull a lot of amps and if your psu isnt up to par that can casue issues, also i didnt get your full spec of your pc, could you list it?

Soldato
So recently I’ve been having ridiculous amounts of stuttering during gaming. I have a RTX 2080. I know very little about computer stuff so try and bear with me.

I’ve kept my GPU drivers up to date firstly and my pc is less than 9 months old too.

Based on what I've bolded - I updated to the newest Nvidia driver and it caused really bad stutter in Fortnite, so I clean uninstalled it and went back to driver 431.60.

Noted that you've done a clean Windows install but you're probably using the exact same new Nvidia driver? Could be the cause here.

Associate
OP
Based on what I've bolded - I updated to the newest Nvidia driver and it caused really bad stutter in Fortnite, so I clean uninstalled it and went back to driver 431.60.

Noted that you've done a clean Windows install but you're probably using the exact same new Nvidia driver? Could be the cause here.

To be honest it’s been a fault for a while now and I’ve had various different gpu drivers.

Associate
OP
what about your psu, gpu issues can be caused by a failing psu, the gpu and cpu under high load will pull a lot of amps and if your psu isnt up to par that can casue issues, also i didnt get your full spec of your pc, could you list it?

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Kolink Core Series 600W 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Edition 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Gigabyte 256GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Soldato
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Kolink Core Series 600W 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

GeForce RTX 2080 AMP Edition 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Gigabyte 256GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

dam a spec like that should have no issues at all, i'm looking online to see what the output of the psu is, do you have any kind of overclock on the cpu or gpu?

Edit: looks like that psu has a max 12v capacity of 480w at 40 amps which is a tad low for a 2080, pair this with your 9700k and i think you may not have enough headroom in some games, dont forget some games will put max load on compponets, so the issue you have is in certain titles, other seem fiine as the load isnt as high, i would have a look at a 750w gold rated unit

Associate
OP
dam a spec like that should have no issues at all, i'm looking online to see what the output of the psu is, do you have any kind of overclock on the cpu or gpu?

Edit: looks like that psu has a max 12v capacity of 480w at 40 amps which is a tad low for a 2080, pair this with your 9700k and i think you may not have enough headroom in some games, dont forget some games will put max load on compponets, so the issue you have is in certain titles, other seem fiine as the load isnt as high, i would have a look at a 750w gold rated unit

On that subject though I’d say I’m running a very undemanding game and it makes no difference to the occurrence rate if I have the graphics on the lowest or the highest settings.

Although I do think it may be occurring more often when it’s been running for a long period of time (heat?) although the system itself is running so cool because it’s hardly needing to try

Soldato
have you got any kind of oc software installed for the gpu, i only say because you can drop the core clock say -100 core clock offset and re run any game, if the stuttering issue goes away i'd say you psu isn't up to the task, may i ask what gpu you had before the 2080 if any?

edit you mention it ocours more if left on for a extended peroid, have you checked the heat output from the psu? if the gpu and cpu are cool they wont be the problem.

if the psu is hot to the touch thats not a good sign, i used psu calculator online and with the specs you provided the minimum psu it recommends is 537w now this is fine but the rule of thumb is to always have 100w extra capacity to allow future upgrades as not doing so may cause problems down the road

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheap rubbish Kolink "600W" Core should be nowhere near a 9700K + RTX 2080 system, tbh. Regardless of what's causing the issue.

Soldato
i've just seen the price of that unit and at £38 you are playing with fire, not a hope in hell i'd use such a cheap unit with such expensive hardware, you need to have a look at a quality 80 plus gold/platinum unit, dont be afraid to spend some money, you psu is key to any build, its often overlooked but a pretty critiical element, if that pops it could take out your whole pc

Associate
OP
Haha ok I’ll take that overall verdict as the psu has got to go. It’s actually a system made by overclockers so that’s disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom