Poll: Styrian Grand Prix 2021, Spielberg - Race 8/23

Rate the Styrian Grand Prix 2021 out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Surely there must have been a car issue to have caused that? Very worrying either way, that could easily have injured a number of the McLaren mechanics, and an incident like that during the race could cause big problems.

It was Merc trying a new way to pull away from the pits in 2nd gear.

Caporegime
DR
-bit of a disaster here he's becoming damaged stock with his move to mclaren. If he's still trailing significantly by season end.. How longs his contract?

EO/FA
Talking about contract lengths. I was never convinced Ocon turned a corner and completely blown away that alpine offered him a 3 year one. Two poor races.
I think alonso is getting up to speed and that was flattering Ocon. Thought that early season. I just didn't think alonso would get better this quickly. Like seeing his attitude. Reminds me of his attitude when he was first in f1 with Renault (good times!)

Great work by verstappen, Russell and gasley.
Bottas did well. But his quali is never questioned. What a race to get a penalty on. When you out qualify Hamilton!

Associate
Failure between steering wheel and engine?

Yup, thats the Warmware....

So, who do we think will win today? And what other predictions?

I reckon Maxine will win but I'd prefer Lewis

I'm not optimistic BUT I'd be super happy if George scores Williams first points since 2019 (points pref, not point!)

Mazepin to spin again? :D

Soldato
DR
-bit of a disaster here he's becoming damaged stock with his move to mclaren. If he's still trailing significantly by season end.. How longs his contract?

EO/FA
Talking about contract lengths. I was never convinced Ocon turned a corner and completely blown away that alpine offered him a 3 year one. Two poor races.
I think alonso is getting up to speed and that was flattering Ocon. Thought that early season. I just didn't think alonso would get better this quickly. Like seeing his attitude. Reminds me of his attitude when he was first in f1 with Renault (good times!)

Great work by verstappen, Russell and gasley.
Bottas did well. But his quali is never questioned. What a race to get a penalty on. When you out qualify Hamilton!

It seems the McLaren is a difficult car to drive, DR looked as if he was getting better, even at this race in practice, but no idea what happed in qually. Even Noris himself has talked about the difficulty with the car. Norris could well be a better talent, but not 'that' much better. Remember DR was beating Max to poles and wins in the Red Bull. He hasn't suddenly become rubbish.

Yeah, looks like Alonso had got the beating of Ocon now. Ahead of him in the championship outscored him in the last few races and out-qualified him too. He's only going to get stronger as he gets up to speed with the car.

Vettel too has turned a corner. Seems much happier in the car, had been outperforming lance up until qually yesterday, and like Alonso is ahead of his teammate in the championship.

Will be interesting to see how things are by the half way point.

I really like Sainz as a driver, and he often looks faster than LeClerec but then Charles just pulls a lap out and pops up ahead. I think that battle will get better after as the season goes on, and if Ferrari produce a good car next year there could be some fireworks. Both have a bit of form of tagging, and complaining about teammates.

Caporegime
Yup, thats the Warmware....

I was agreeing with you :)

So, who do we think will win today? And what other predictions?

I see Lewis taking this one, the Merc looks better on longer runs and with the harder tyre. I don't see RB repeating their tactical masterclass of last race this time either, although they do have their 2v1 advantage again with RB happy to compromise Pérez's race and split their strategies for the best result for the team and Merc still playing things fair between Lewis and Bottas. Is a cheeky podium for Norris on the cards as well?

I'm not optimistic BUT I'd be super happy if George scores Williams first points since 2019 (points pref, not point!)

I'm hopeful for this one. George seems to be edging closer all the time, he's a bit of luck away I think.

Mazepin to spin again? :D

He's been better lately, hasn't had a proper spin in the race since Imola but he also seems to be struggling here so maybe.

Soldato
The official forecast has seen decreasing chances of rain almost by the hour. From a 80% chance the last I saw was 40%.

If there is rain in the area though you can guarantee almost non-stop talk from Croft about "rain in the distance", "look at those clouds" and so on without ever seeing a drop.

Man of Honour
Norris radio - That landed straight on my balls *heavy breathing*

Pit - I was deciding whether or not to ask if they were ok or not.

54°C track temperature
27°C air temperature
40% Chance of rain

Mazepin radio - Lets really have a look at the temperatures inside the pedals after the race, as it's already getting quite hot.

Alonso pit radio - Alright mate, let's have 71 of those beautiful laps ok? Get some points. Let's get this going.

The looks like broken suspension for Gasly

Race control - track surface slippery in track sector 11 and 12

That was impressive for Leclerc... How any drivers races did he ruin with that one little contract?

Lap 1 turn 3 incident noted by stewards - no investigation necessary.

Eh? How?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Norris pit radio - Suggest yellow G 3. Yellow G 3.

Norris - Yeah, I'd say not, according to race pace at the moment, but maybe.

Pit - Message understood. You should have broken DRS. Cancel that, Perez has DRS.

and also

Norris lap time deleted - track limits turn 10 - 2 laps in a row...

What exactly happened to Gasly? Did his wheel just trash itself getting a puncture, or did he have another incident?

Leclerc mangled his wing on it, on a straight...

Russell pit radio - Go defend to fill the pack. Go defend. Gap at 1.2 behind.

Man of Honour
Schumacher pit radio - We've got to focus on getting the brake temps down and the tyre temps where we want them. Then we'll take again.

Schumacher - Clean air would be a lot better.

Pit - Understood. Just for increasing front locking, you could try shape 4.

Bottas pit radio - So Perez 2 second ahead. Just close the gap but don't take anything out of the tyres.

Man of Honour
Aye, but by the time he got to the pits the hub was pointing upwards, a flat doesn't usually break the suspension.

Not normally, but tyre carcass coming almost completely away from the sidewall will put weird loads on the suspension and upright. Seen suspension fail from a single kerb in the past. Not unexpected that 2/3 of a lap with a wonky tyre could cause a failure. Especially if the part was approaching end of life.

Sorry? Steiner gave Mazepin a spinning top as a present? Genius!

[edit] Good god, he did!

Oh no.....
Russell with an 18s stop.

Looked like an air top up for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom