Subsidence

Soldato
OP
As in caused by trees? I've dealt with a few of these over my years. IF it is trees, the usual recommendation is cut them down!
Its quite a bit further down the line then that, i know that my initial post didnt contain much detail. At this point we have had a final survey completed which was a floor slab distortion survey. Looks like a Topographical map, im just wondering what the scale of it is.

There is a long running back and forth between myself and the loss adjusters who are refusing to do anything about the persistent cause of the movement, even though evidence from their own readings and specifically this distortion survey (if im reading it correctly) show.

Soldato
OP
What is the cause accordng to the survey? Slab movement is usually undermined by something like water leak, big roots etc.
Chimney is central mass of the house, not built with any sort of foundation just on the floorslab, and we are on clay. House built in the 50's and really doesnt take much, with the more extreme dry summers and wet winters its just slowly getting worse.

Associate
I'm surprised that a property built in the 1950s doesn't have foundations to the chim. How have no foundations been established? Pulled the floors up?
Do the roots not rot, causing more subsidence?
No, the amount of moisture trees take up is far more of an issue than the roots rotting down. They rot slowly and are filled with other material and with more moisture in the soil (clay) it will be naturally "larger" anyway.

Soldato
I'm surprised that a property built in the 1950s doesn't have foundations to the chim. How have no foundations been established? Pulled the floors up?

I'm not, depends if course, but a lot of houses built in the 50s were pretty poorly constructed, many considered "temporary" are still being lived in today, they needed to build a lot of houses quickly following a small disagreement with Germany a few years prior.

I'm not, depends if course, but a lot of houses built in the 50s were pretty poorly constructed, many considered "temporary" are still being lived in today, they needed to build a lot of houses quickly following a small disagreement with Germany a few years prior.

But but old houses were built better and new houses are terribly built...

Or in reality as I have said many times having live in a house from practically every decade from 1890s onwards, there is no perfect time, they all have issues.

Some of the 50s stuff was truly amazing. I forget the name of it now, but one of our rooves was built with what was basically straw and cement.

Soldato
OP
Excluding the lack of the foundation under the chimney the property is solid, which is a shame that we are having to go through all of this right now.

Back
Top Bottom