Subwoofer Advice

Caporegime
Looks like I'll go for the XXLS400.

See if it can make the wife complain as much as she did when we saw Tenet at the cinema. :D:D

If you can get a granite plinth off eBay someone sells the matching size.

Then get a glass top from your local glazing shop or glass cutters.

Mine doubles as a side table and has a photo frame and a plant on top of it as well as a usb charging hub for charging phones and tablets, etc.

Associate
Velodyne are probably the best you can buy and are worth a look at. The higher end models have sufficient power to structurally damage a house - 3000W Peak power is an astonishing amount and 14.4 Hz at -3 dB is infrasonic!

Soldato
Velodyne are probably the best you can buy and are worth a look at. The higher end models have sufficient power to structurally damage a house - 3000W Peak power is an astonishing amount and 14.4 Hz at -3 dB is infrasonic!

They do indeed make some lovely subwoofers, but I think you missed the brief somewhat :p.
We have enough of that here from Hornetstinger.

Associate
They do indeed make some lovely subwoofers, but I think you missed the brief somewhat :p.
We have enough of that here from Hornetstinger.

Well the SPL-R range can be had for less than the £600 budget used, and they are small enough, the only issue would be the front facing driver - a small compromise! They are I have to say not neighbour friendly and quite a few Ebay sellers say they are selling for that reason.

Soldato
Ordered the BK XXLS400-DF today.

Don't know when I'll get it, didn't even get an order confirmation email. We will see.

They’re a small outfit. If you don’t get one by the end of today, ring them up. I too didn’t get an order confirmation, just a PayPal receipt, but they sorted it in a couple of days and found it in my junk mail.

Man of Honour
OP
They’re a small outfit. If you don’t get one by the end of today, ring them up. I too didn’t get an order confirmation, just a PayPal receipt, but they sorted it in a couple of days and found it in my junk mail.

Payment is pending on my card, so the order should've gone through.

Caporegime
Ordered the BK XXLS400-DF today.

Don't know when I'll get it, didn't even get an order confirmation email. We will see.

Congrats I've got the same in a wood wrap wedged between two 1.5 seater lovers style armchairs.

Most folk don't know what it is and assume it's just a side table. It's large but not so large you would look twice if you disguise it as such.

The wood wrap really helps as I have wooden floors, a wooden faux wall and the rest of my speakers also have wooden wraps and then I have a proper hardwood table too.

Soldato
XXLS400 is nice, I had the FF version, then went to the Monolith Plus. I think the XXLS400 has a better driver than this Monolith, at least it looks better quality, rubber surround, sturdier. More crisp sounding, but it's sealed maybe that's why it sounded more crisp.

Soldato
Bk are good value for money and quality but they do have issues like buzzing and humming it seems quite common even after years going back the same issues coming up.

Backplate is pretty basic though no EQ, no room compensation, no high pass, no port plug feature etc.

Higher end I'd be looking at PSA, s1512/s1812 etc.

Guess dual JTR captivator ULF 4000 is out of the question

Man of Honour
OP
Op what is your room size, I'd say a single xls400 will be ok for 4mx4m room anything bigger and want higher end sub, or two xls400.

Room is L shaped, but probably no bigger than 4m X 4m anyway.

Wouldn't be able to place a second subwoofer in the room as it stands, nor would my budget or wife allow for a second sub. You've got to bear in mind this is a living room, not a dedicated cinema room. So comprises to that and keeping the wife happy have to be made.

Although in conversation yesterday, building a cinema room over the garage was met with approval. But that was probably down to the fact she knows we aren't in the financial position of actually doing it.

Associate
My room is bigger than 4m by 4m and I have never thought my xxls400 is lacking in any way. I had a ported 12inch Kef sub before and I much prefer the xxls400 it just sounds better but of course that is very subjective statement. Just get it and enjoy it!!
Personally I have always wondered why they are so cheap, I really was not expecting the quality of the finish......

Soldato
My room is bigger than 4m by 4m and I have never thought my xxls400 is lacking in any way. I had a ported 12inch Kef sub before and I much prefer the xxls400 it just sounds better but of course that is very subjective statement. Just get it and enjoy it!!
Personally I have always wondered why they are so cheap, I really was not expecting the quality of the finish......

Depends on usage and expectation. I had svs SB ultra 13 in room smaller than yours and it was superb. Still copes pretty well in much larger room I plan to buy a second. Other bass heads saying one sbu13 cannot cope in my room, but it's pretty good still, in spl and kick. It hasn't bottomed out during loud scenes (my av pre does have a max sub peak limit I could use)

Caporegime
Room is L shaped, but probably no bigger than 4m X 4m anyway.

Wouldn't be able to place a second subwoofer in the room as it stands, nor would my budget or wife allow for a second sub. You've got to bear in mind this is a living room, not a dedicated cinema room. So comprises to that and keeping the wife happy have to be made.

Although in conversation yesterday, building a cinema room over the garage was met with approval. But that was probably down to the fact she knows we aren't in the financial position of actually doing it.

Going down the rabbit hole of a second sub is just overkill for a home set up unless you literally just live in that room.

People have lives and enjoy other things. I wouldn't get too obsessed about it. The xxls400 is more than enough on its own. You could get an anti mode or whatever those devices are called these days but it's a lot of money for what they do.

Just enjoy it. Obviously for some people the only thing they have going on is their home cinema so they have ridiculous set ups but an xxls400 is literally better than the subwoofer 99.9% of people will have in their living rooms.

Man of Honour
OP
Going down the rabbit hole of a second sub is just overkill for a home set up unless you literally just live in that room.

People have lives and enjoy other things. I wouldn't get too obsessed about it. The xxls400 is more than enough on its own. You could get an anti mode or whatever those devices are called these days but it's a lot of money for what they do.

Just enjoy it. Obviously for some people the only thing they have going on is their home cinema so they have ridiculous set ups but an xxls400 is literally better than the subwoofer 99.9% of people will have in their living rooms.

If I ever get it.

Ordered on March 30th. Messaged BK on 6th April. Got a reply on the 7th to say the delay was painting it and they'd chase the painter. Heard nothing since.

Back
Top Bottom