Subwoofer Advice

Soldato
Bk subs are good value for money, decent finish. But the biggest concerns are the high number of humming/buzzing issues.

Also they don't cater to the higher end market I would be looking at dual 15" or 18" subs

The back panel is a bit basic also would be good for some features like what my svs sbu13 has

Caporegime
The BK XXLS 400 arrived Friday.

Connected it up. Set the high and low level gain to the mid point. Phase on 0, filter to LFE and frequency to 120hz.

Then went through the room correction set up on the Denon amp. Which set the crossover on the fronts 60hz, heights to 40hz and rears to 80hz. I changed them all to 80hz and tried a few films out.

To be honest I was a bit underwhelmed, so checked the levels for the subwoofer, which was on -12db, which is the lowest setting? So I tried -9db and settled on -6db.

To my ears and backside it all sounded/felt pretty good. Generally I didn't feel as if I could localise the bass in the room and it's a definite improvement on the old Gemini II. Even the wife said it was better, less boomy was her words.

Although I'm happy with the product, I do feel as though BK Electronics need to improve their communication with customers. Or at least make it clear there's a three to four week lead time before you order. An order confirmation email wouldn't have have gone a miss either.

80hz is what most people recommend for a crossover anyway so that will be spot on.

You can always adjust the sub your own liking. Like you I calibrated the sub but with small gain on the knob at like 1/3rd of the way on the dial and then after calibration pushed it to half way so an extra 60% more or so. Now it's to my liking.

Sound is very much subjective which is why so much snake oil exists.

Soldato

Connected it up. Set the high and low level gain to the mid point. Phase on 0, filter to LFE and frequency to 120hz.

Then went through the room correction set up on the Denon amp. Which set the crossover on the fronts 60hz, heights to 40hz and rears to 80hz. I changed them all to 80hz and tried a few films out.

To be honest I was a bit underwhelmed, so checked the levels for the subwoofer, which was on -12db, which is the lowest setting? So I tried -9db and settled on -6db.

To my ears and backside it all sounded/felt pretty good. Generally I didn't feel as if I could localise the bass in the room and it's a definite improvement on the old Gemini II. Even the wife said it was better, less boomy was her words.

Although I'm happy with the product, I do feel as though BK Electronics need to improve their communication with customers. Or at least make it clear there's a three to four week lead time before you order. An order confirmation email wouldn't have have gone a miss either.

Huzzah!
The AV receiver calibration can take a few goes (depending on the receiver and environment) and I always tend to spend weeks or month tinkering around with the settings. Sometimes if I'm watching a Sci-Fi film, I will crank it up a notch, just because.

Definitely agree with your comments on BK Electronics though, great products but communication is probably the worst i've ever experienced.

Associate
I agree with your comments on customer service, but this is one of the reasons they are keenly priced......for me the look is way more important than the customer service.
In relation to Buzzing I have bought two xxls400’s and neither has any buzzing, my old KEF sub had to be grounded to stop buzzing.

I know I will be shot down, but I found that the Denon auto calibration process was awful, I did mine by ear.......maybe I did not do it right and I am sure someone else may set it up better but I am happy.

Everyone has their own idea on what is right, but I agree with your comments on not being able to localise the source of the bass, btw it’s less boomy as it’s a sealed box but imagine you know that. I was always told a good subwoofer is one which you do not notice, these meet this brief well.

Soldato

this is why denon is a piece of crap. height channels should not be crossed over at 40hz. they should be way higher than even 80hz unless u have a very meaty atmos channel.

Associate

hi, how is life with the xxls400 going?

Soldato
I think the best deal in the UK is Monoprice Monolith THX 15s. You can get them for £1200. They compete with subwoofers such as the Arendal 2V which are double the price.

Anyone shopping in that price range should check them out. I got 2 of them and they're insane.

Soldato
Those are huge subs so buyers check before purchasing. They're too big in my room. Also I prefer sealed box.

I think the best deal in the UK is Monoprice Monolith THX 15s. You can get them for £1200. They compete with subwoofers such as the Arendal 2V which are double the price.

Anyone shopping in that price range should check them out. I got 2 of them and they're insane.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Had an SVS PB12 now for a few years and everytime I use it I am impressed...

Previously had a BK Gemini II, and the two are clearly classes apart, but the SVS makes it look like a toy.

Soldato
Those are huge subs so buyers check before purchasing. They're too big in my room. Also I prefer sealed box.

Yup, get a bigger room ;)

They are pretty comparable to 2x Arendal 2Vs which will cost around £5000. The Monos when I linked them were around £2400 for a pair.

but they are gigantic. But I can't think of a subwoofer which matches the SPL of the monos which is small. If you want big, clean, unadultered bass which is still from a port but tight and refined, the size is difficult to avoid.

Soldato
Had an SVS PB12 now for a few years and everytime I use it I am impressed...

Previously had a BK Gemini II, and the two are clearly classes apart, but the SVS makes it look like a toy.

I like SVS but their lack of performance and their drop off at low frequencies is ashame as I am a BassEQ fan.

Once gone BassEQ, hard to go back.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
I like SVS but their lack of performance and their drop off at low frequencies is ashame as I am a BassEQ fan.

Once gone BassEQ, hard to go back.

If they're hugely more impressive they must be mind-blowing, can't see where the shortcomings of this PB12 are currently

Soldato
If they're hugely more impressive they must be mind-blowing, can't see where the shortcomings of this PB12 are currently
Just check the measurements.

All room size dependant. How many PB12s do you have? Whats your REW response curve for your subs?

Back
Top Bottom