Subwoofer gone.. Repair or alternative?

Caporegime
My sub is now only humming when active. Which it always is.

Its a monitor Audio rsw12

Quote for part (all internals) is 302 delivery (I have to fit!)

At this price I'm considering other units. Or taking it apart and having a look.
Or another second hand unit.
Is this a likely case of a blown or something repairable?

Any recommendations?
Would want the look to be matching (black) my other MA RX speakers

Caporegime
OP
I will have a look. Always hear BK mentioned.
Sub probably isn't a really important part for me. Can't really turn it up too high with neighbours!

Man of Honour
Likely to be the power reserve capacitors. Not hugely expensive parts to buy. £30-£60 max depending on size and brand. Easy job to replace if you can solder.

If this were a car, your current plan to swap out the whole amp board is the equivalent of swapping out the entire engine just to achieve a plugs and oil filter change. It's a bit sledgehammer to crack a nut.

BK subs are stonkingly good value. If money isn't an issue then go for the new sub, but have a crack at the capacitor replacement too. Shift the RS sub on once it lives again.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks. I'll ccertainly take a look at it.
I don't how to check if a capacitor is bad, but I do have a multimeter. Or can you physically tell?

I was happy with the sub performance, but never really had anything to compare.
If I could fix it myself I'd probably keep it

Man of Honour
To properly test a capacitor you'd need to disconnect it from the circuit board. You'd then need a multimeter which includes a capacitor test feature, or you could use an oscilloscope. Either way, to do a meaningful test requires unsoldering each cap otherwise you're just metering the rest of the connected components on the board.

A visual check is easier but not always a clear indication. If the top of a capacitor is bulging up - we call it domed - or the bottom where the terminals are looks like something squeezed out, then the cap has had it. The inside stuff has swollen.

For intermittent issues - typically not starting from cold for example - then a little trick is to heat the cap with a hair dryer. When warm, an intermittent cap might work for a while. Cooling it with freeze spray will provoke it to go properly faulty for a while.

Caporegime
OP
Does seem like a lot of work.

Looks like the xxls400 is 150 more than the MA repair. May have to go with the repair (if they offer warranty for the parts)

Soldato
BK have an outlet shop on eBay. There's a silver XXLS for £388, or a Monolith Plus for £494 (B grade).

Tempted myself!

edit... B grade XXLS-400 in black for the same price.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have the XXLS 400 and I’m very impressed, more bass than I’ll ever need without upsetting the neighbours and I’ve only set the gain about quarter of the way round.

Caporegime
OP
Shall keep my eye on ebay.
Ill be looking for black Ash.
May well do the repair on the MA anyway as can probably sell it if I don't want it

Soldato
Sorry for the hijack 413x, but @Doobedoo, what's your room size?

My lounge is about 5x4m and I'm very tempted to go Monolith because... well, Monolith! :D

I'm in a semi but the room is on an outside wall rather than the houses being joined on the lounge wall so can get away with making a bit of noise. I don't watch at outrageous volumes but do like to enjoy the experience.

As much as I'd love a Monolith, if it's going to be way way overkill I might look towards a 400.

Permabanned
My front room is also 5x4 and i am too on the end with it setup on the furthest wall from next door.

I’ve not had any complaints as of yet, I’m watching a film as I type and already had to turn it down a wee bit it’s now slightly above a quarter and still gives a nice thump :).

I have nothing really to compare it with but so far it has integrated seamlessly and makes all the right noises in all the right places. They say the 400 is better suited for music and the monolith slightly better for films, take your pick and I’m pretty sure you’ll be impressed.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the amp is faulty then a straight swap is easy 30 mins max.

As for subwoofers always best to get best you can afford. As for 400 versus monolith one is sealed other is ported. I do think sealed is better for music ported better for movies. I've had both types and I had two subs with same driver same amp just one was ported other sealed and found ported inferior when it came to music. Buy ported shook the room and and gave pretty scary feeling in heavy action scenes.

Associate
he repairs TV's and hi-fi he's repaired a few things for me now and everything has been £50 lol ,

I'm guessing the £302 quote was from Monitor for the updated internals ?

Caporegime
OP
he repairs TV's and hi-fi he's repaired a few things for me now and everything has been £50 lol ,

I'm guessing the £302 quote was from Monitor for the updated internals ?

Sounds useful!

Yeah 302 is a remove old internals, chuck old, replace with new.
Done by myself.
As others have said, it's near cost of several comparable subs

Back
Top Bottom