• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Suddenly can't put any load on week old 2080 Ti without crashing

Soldato
I think I will make sure to update my wife's Nvidia drivers *before* replacing the 980Ti - I am gonna have fun with my machine though which has an R9 390X in it....

I'm sure you'll be fine mate, but I would definitely update your wife's drivers first to be on the safe side.

Although unlikely, for all I know the driver related lockups I've had are limited to my particular brand of card or specific CPU/Motherboard/PSU combination.

Also, there's been a large Windows 10 update released this week. If the problem with Microsoft's backup drivers and the 2080 Ti was widespread and well known, then there's a fair chance that this update fixes them. I've not had the need to test it since.

Soldato
There was a 1000W Corsair I believe that was effectively two 500 W PSUs stuck together that could really claim to have "Multi Rails" as it had to separate +12v circuits. :)

This wouldn't happen to be the original "blue" version of the HX1000 would it? This is the one I have and it would be useful to know if there were likely to be any issues if I upgraded my current 980Ti (uses two separate power cables). There is no single/multi rail switch on this version of this power supply (there is on the most recent version), instead the stickers on the unit suggest it is two separate 12V rails, each 40A. So reading this thread I would appear to be ok, as long as I always used two cables? It is a great PSU, never has any coil whine issues with any gcard I've had with it, and it is pretty damn old now.

Soldato
This wouldn't happen to be the original "blue" version of the HX1000 would it? This is the one I have and it would be useful to know if there were likely to be any issues if I upgraded my current 980Ti (uses two separate power cables). There is no single/multi rail switch on this version of this power supply (there is on the most recent version), instead the stickers on the unit suggest it is two separate 12V rails, each 40A. So reading this thread I would appear to be ok, as long as I always used two cables? It is a great PSU, never has any coil whine issues with any gcard I've had with it, and it is pretty damn old now.

I'm not sure the one I was thinking about must be around 10+ years ago.

If it is the same on yours it would be hard to pull over 40A on one of the rails unless you had everything wired into the same one.

If you did happen to get it cutting out at any point because of this, using a different PCI-E connection would probably fix the issue speading the load over both rails.

Man of Honour
Sounds symptomatic of a PSU issue I had a while back, kept bombing out after a while when gaming then one day it *literally* went BANG and thankfully didn't take out any other components. It had 4x 12v rails rated at 25A each.

Ironically I replaced it with a Corsair TX 750 PSU! Still going strong, checking my emails it I bought it on 3rd October 2009.

Permabanned
Sounds symptomatic of a PSU issue I had a while back, kept bombing out after a while when gaming then one day it *literally* went BANG and thankfully didn't take out any other components. It had 4x 12v rails rated at 25A each.

Ironically I replaced it with a Corsair TX 750 PSU! Still going strong, checking my emails it I bought it on 3rd October 2009.

I used a TX 850 for about 5 years that never missed a beat, I only replaced it to go modular, It's now my back up model gathering dust in a cupboard.

Soldato
My 2080Ti FE has been causing complete sudden system halts under load (First instance running FFIX bench, after testing BF1 @144Hz ULTRA settings, then again just in bf1 on an empty server). I'm not sure whether it's a faulty GPU overheating or my Corsiar HX850 (mk 2 IIRC) failing to supply the juice. It's been fine with my overclocked 6900k, watercooling and a pair of 1070s, but maybe the 2080Ti has pushed it over the edge (Although it is supposed to be a single 12V rail with 70A available). I've got my 1070s back in at the moment and it's running flawlessly. On paper as the 1070s are OC models they draw ~170W each while the 2080Ti is supposed to be less than 300W, but I guess if the boost clocks are much higher than the stated 1650MHz then the power rating is probably bogus. I estimate my CPU is drawing ~250W, not sure about the 2 d5 pumps in the watercooling.

Anyway a 1000W Superflower leadex 2 80+GOLD is arriving this morning, with the extra 12A on the 12v rail that should determine whether it's the GPU or not (It was getting very toasty though). Fingers crossed here as I expect an RMA to Nvidia to be a long and painful process if it is the GPU.

Soldato
Classic “multi-rail” issue.

As for next PSU I strongly suggest the Coolermaster V850. I use a couple for mining.
I went for it is that it's a very reasonably priced decent PSU that can manage platinum levels of efficiency. Worth checking out. They also do the V1000.

Review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=350/

Jonny Guru PSU reviews are great btw, my go-to for years.

Associate
OP
Hey guys. I ended up going for for the Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W in the end. It was significantly more expensive than the others but I don't regret it at all, it was a dream to actually work with.

Anyway, the big news is it's had no effect on the 2080 Ti, it's still refusing to display a signal while running the fans at max as soon as I turn the PC on. I picked up a VGA cable as well so I could actually get into Windows and see what was going on with the integrated graphics, and I found that the GPU isn't even being recognized at all. Regardless of that I tried to install the latest Nvidia drivers like GordyR suggested but it refused to go through with it because I had no compatible components. Meanwhile, the old R9 390x is still working perfectly with this new PSU.

So yeah, looks like I'm going the RMA route. :( This is the first time I've ever had to return a part after 5 PCs, so I guess it had to happen eventually. Is it likely I'm gonna have to wait a long time for a replacement because of the demand?

Soldato
Absolutely gutted for you mate. What a shame.

I’ve only ever been in a similar situation once when the motherboard died on an MSI gaming laptop I had. It took about 2-3 weeks to get repaired. They kept me updated via text and the majority of that time was spent waiting for the replacement motherboard that they had ordered.

I guess that you’ll simply get a replacement card but I really couldn’t say how long it’s going to take.

What a bummer... At least you’ve got a beauty of a PSU noW that’s going to last you another decade easily.

Caporegime
So yeah, looks like I'm going the RMA route. :( This is the first time I've ever had to return a part after 5 PCs, so I guess it had to happen eventually. Is it likely I'm gonna have to wait a long time for a replacement because of the demand?

Depends where you got it from, if they have them in stock it should be a pretty quick turnaround if its found to be faulty.

Soldato
Infant mortality is a thing with electronics. The fans on my first Titan X failed the day after it arrived and it took about 2 weeks for a replacement to arrive.

Soldato
Hey guys. I ended up going for for the Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W in the end. It was significantly more expensive than the others but I don't regret it at all, it was a dream to actually work with.

Anyway, the big news is it's had no effect on the 2080 Ti, it's still refusing to display a signal while running the fans at max as soon as I turn the PC on. I picked up a VGA cable as well so I could actually get into Windows and see what was going on with the integrated graphics, and I found that the GPU isn't even being recognized at all. Regardless of that I tried to install the latest Nvidia drivers like GordyR suggested but it refused to go through with it because I had no compatible components. Meanwhile, the old R9 390x is still working perfectly with this new PSU.

If the card isn't being enumerated at all, it's either dead or not properly seated. Does it even light up/fan spin?
On the bright side, unless my new PSU which failed to turn up today (DPD photograph of random front door "sorry we missed you") fixes my hard locks, you should be up and running again before I am.

Associate
OP
If the card isn't being enumerated at all, it's either dead or not properly seated. Does it even light up/fan spin?
On the bright side, unless my new PSU which failed to turn up today (DPD photograph of random front door "sorry we missed you") fixes my hard locks, you should be up and running again before I am.

Yeah, it lights up normally, the fans are always spinning at max speed.

Unlucky with your PSU, DPD have always been really reliable in my area :p

Soldato
Yeah, it lights up normally, the fans are always spinning at max speed.

Unlucky with your PSU, DPD have always been really reliable in my area :p

Hopefully it's coming this morning, it was a twist of irony that parcel force managed not to screw up my 2080Ti delivery while DPD failed to deliver the PSU. I should know by this evening whether my 2080Ti is going to be another RMA statistic. I hope you get a quick turn around on yours.

Update: New PSU installed, FFXV bench passed with a score of 10068 @1440p High quality. (Reference score for a 2080Ti with those settings is 9949). Fingers crossed it stays stable, but it looks like the PSU was the answer. I'll update again if the situation changes.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 2080Ti FE has been causing complete sudden system halts under load (First instance running FFIX bench, after testing BF1 @144Hz ULTRA settings, then again just in bf1 on an empty server). I'm not sure whether it's a faulty GPU overheating or my Corsiar HX850 (mk 2 IIRC) failing to supply the juice. It's been fine with my overclocked 6900k, watercooling and a pair of 1070s, but maybe the 2080Ti has pushed it over the edge (Although it is supposed to be a single 12V rail with 70A available). I've got my 1070s back in at the moment and it's running flawlessly. On paper as the 1070s are OC models they draw ~170W each while the 2080Ti is supposed to be less than 300W, but I guess if the boost clocks are much higher than the stated 1650MHz then the power rating is probably bogus. I estimate my CPU is drawing ~250W, not sure about the 2 d5 pumps in the watercooling.

Anyway a 1000W Superflower leadex 2 80+GOLD is arriving this morning, with the extra 12A on the 12v rail that should determine whether it's the GPU or not (It was getting very toasty though). Fingers crossed here as I expect an RMA to Nvidia to be a long and painful process if it is the GPU.

Nvidia ,"It just works"......Oh wait

That's one expensive RMA, sorry to hear mate, Nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom