• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Suitable Upgrade from a Ryzen 5 3600

Man of Honour
Only for the few (<8 lanes) provide by chipsets older than 5xx series - the main quantity of PCI-E lanes are 3.0/4.0 provided by the CPU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_chipsets#AM4_chipsets

In most cases none of that is connected to m.2 etc though right, where throughput is required it's all gen 3 at a minimum? The chipset is for things like sata, additional x1 & x4 lanes etc where the throughput won't saturate the lanes anyway or am I missing something here? Just seems a super odd selection to me if you are focused more on IO.

Associate
The 3600 is very under-rated as an all round CPU, yes it's only 6c/12t but still performance wise its very good.

If you need more C/T for m,ulti tasking and processing 4k/8k then wait until the 4*** series arrives

Associate
OP
Yes

But unless you’re a professional, making your bread money from it, I really wouldn’t be concerned about any quicker CPUs than a 3600. The waiting time for rendering isn’t going to impact your profitability, it’s a “nice to have” for a hobby :)

Ah okay thank you. I'll see what comes from the 4000 series but if there isn't any logical upgrade then I'll stick with what I have now :)
(Also I'm new to this so is there any way to lock a thread?)

Associate
The 3600 is very under-rated as an all round CPU, yes it's only 6c/12t but still performance wise its very good.

If you need more C/T for m,ulti tasking and processing 4k/8k then wait until the 4*** series arrives

Blimey are we already at that stage where 6 cores isn't enough for the majority?!

Back
Top Bottom