Sunday Times to investigate OLED Screen Burn Issues

Soldato
well yes - £200, given the use you have already had of product doesn't seem an unreasonable compromise, even if it was just for another 4 years use
if they refunded the tv knocking off, use you've had, I'd expect a bigger deduction.

It still leaves you out of pocket for a known problem with the technology that seems to regularly happen across a range of owners just from actually using the TV as a TV.

Associate
OP
My parents B7 is now a mess with screen burn, can see it on pretty much all content excluding blacks obviously.

It was bought from Curry's so I don't know whether to try and push it with them. The more people that try, the more pressure on them.

Someone in AVForums claims to have taken Currys to the small claims court in 2019 and the judge ruled in their favour. So you could try pushing them for a free repair/replacement, as judging by that posts on that forum Currys have been one of the best at accepting claims.

You're also welcome to also report this to the Sunday Times (as per this thread title) as they are currently taking emailed complaints on OLED TV screen burn regardless of the retailer. Let us know if you decide to take this further.

Associate
OP
My dads B6 has two green lines along the bottom. Bought from John Lewis in 2017. They aren’t interested in fixing it, he was watching BBC and Sky News. The lines are bad, so he ended to buying another non OLED set and moved the B6 to the conservatory.

I have a B9 and the screen is still perfect, it’s not used a lot, hope it escapes screen burn.

Sounds similar to my own experience with a B6, but glad to hear your B9 is currently holding up. My B6 problems started before 3 years were up but I only reported it 40 months after the purchase date. Yes John Lewis has a strict policy if rejecting screen burn claims - claiming "malicious misuse" as the only cause - so you have no rights! They have had "lots" of claims according to one John Lewis manager I spoke to, but they can't do anything (as in above their pay grade ).

If anyone knows if John Lewis have been taken to court on this please let us know. I can only assume they haven't yet been successfully challenged as they still have this policy in place and escalating to a manager in technical support just gets you nowhere (as the policy is inflexible). I've escalated this further and am still expecting a call back this week but I don't expect to have any joy changing what sounds like a high level management policy. I have even emailed Sharon White but no response, not even from a minion. Maybe this goes right to the top.

Given this situation, unless someone successfully challenges John Lewis through the small claim court I believe they'll hold out. For now I'm relying on the Sunday Times to get a similar result and publicly shame John Lewis in the process. You're welcome to send your details in to the Sunday Times as per the initial post in this thread.

Associate
OP
how much daily time did the tv spend on sky news channel ? I mean I watch c4 news for maybe 30mins a day and intermittently dip into others .. but if you can show your tv is not stuck on sky news for 6 hours a day, don't see why you couldn't defend your position.

Maybe an hour a day on average - I generally record the 10pm showing and then fast forward through the recording based on the headlines, but for any major news events it would be on longer. Now I'll flip between news channels if it's anything live.

well yes - £200, given the use you have already had of product doesn't seem an unreasonable compromise, even if it was just for another 4 years use
if they refunded the tv knocking off, use you've had, I'd expect a bigger deduction.

I would agree if this was a once off failure but, given the number of reported issues, this is just going to reoccur in another 3 years. Some may argue that's not bad but having invested £1900 (over £2000 with added-care policy) in the TV, I had expected it to last a long while! I think my old Panasonic Plasma (admittedly only 46" and not UHD, but over 7 years older) was only around £800 from Costco, and it's still going strong!

I'd therefore rather get a refund and invest in a newer TV that will last. Both TVs were best buys in What HiFi and I believe they are still rating OLEDs very higher. I just hope LG have fixed the screen burn now, but as only the 2021 "Premium" ranges, Z1/G1, have been given a 5 year warranty by LG then I would assume they don't yet have the confidence to do this on lower priced, but still relatively expensive, A1/B1/C1 OLED ranges.

Soldato
It warns you in the manual about image retention, not really their fault if you didn't heed the warning :confused:

• Displaying a still image for a prolonged period of
time may cause an image sticking.
Avoid displaying a fixed image on the TV screen
for a extended length of time.

Soldato
It warns you in the manual about image retention, not really their fault if you didn't heed the warning :confused:

Try asking them what a "prolonged period of time" is. Last time I heard anyone able to get any sort of answer out of LG it was something like 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Soldato
What you supposed to do if you want to watch the news or a football match with banner?

Buy an LCD instead :p

If you are dropping £1K+ on a TV wouldn't you want to do some research beforehand? OLED TVs have been around for 9 years and the strengths and weaknesses are well documented by now :confused:

Soldato
goodluck trying to claim consumer law warranty on burn in. you can go to the court and the judge will tell you "but your TV still works, look its showing pictures, why are you even here, dismissed!"

You'd have better luck with dead pixels and as we already know warranty for dead pixels is another "GOODLUCK!" situation

Caporegime
Buy a new TV when the warranty ends. OLED's are expensive, people who buy them can easily afford to replace them every 2-3 years and LG knows this
Sorry, but that’s a ridiculous statement.

Never heard anything so stupid in my life. You’re basically saying the more expensive the TV, the shorter the lifespan.

Soldato
This amazes me.
I was looking for a new TV 2-3 years ago - the LG C7 being one option and of course well recommended. The screen burn issue and potential for problems was extremely well documented. You couldn't go to a forum without finding a massive thread on "will this happen" and "people are over-reacting" etc.
The manufacturer knew it was a potential issue - specifically saying that their warranty would not cover from this kind of damage.
Then there was the industry as a whole, the experts, the people in the know, who were telling people the same thing - there was the potential for this kind of thing to happen.

Knowing many games have a static HUD and for other reasons, I actually took the LED route with a Sony XE9305 - a decision I have not regretted in the least.

I don't see how we're in a situation along the lines of:

Customer: Hi, I'm interested in a new TV - help me world
The Public: Cannot beat an OLED, but remember there is a potential screen burn issue
The manufacturer: Buy our fantastic OLED, but remember you might see a screen burn issue.
The experts: OLED, the blacks are just sooo black. But remember, potential screen burn issue.
Customer: I'll buy an OLED
Customer: I'm suing - I got screen burn

Soldato
Oleda aren't expensive..£1100 for 55" LG.

Considering that most people who buy a 55 or 65 inch tv expect to be paying closer to 300 for their TV, yes it is expensive

I know plenty of people who want OLED but can't afford one. Heck, I know a couple people who still have a Plasma TV that's over 10 years old and they refuse to buy another TV until OLEDs become affordable

Last edited:
Soldato
Customer: Hi, I'm interested in a new TV - help me world
The Public: Cannot beat an OLED, but remember there is a potential screen burn issue
The manufacturer: Buy our fantastic OLED, but remember you might see a screen burn issue.
The experts: OLED, the blacks are just sooo black. But remember, to avoid screen burn in don't watch cnn and vary your content
Customer: I'll buy an OLED and watch CNN 24/7
Customer: I'm suing - I got screen burn

I fixed it for you

Soldato
Considering that most people who buy a 55 or 65 inch tv expect to be paying closer to 300 for their TV, yes it is expensive

I know plenty of people who want OLED but can't afford one. Heck, I know a couple people who still have a Plasma TV that's over 10 years old and they refuse to buy another TV until OLEDs become affordable

Boo hoo.

Back
Top Bottom