Sunglasses

Associate
Not strictly travelling but I need a new pair for holiday.

I'm looking at a brand called SunGod and their Renegade glasses. Does anyone have experience with this brand or can offer alternatives for around the same price?

Get a pair of goodr £30, they’re perfect for the money.

They don’t bounce and if you happen to leave them in the hotel room or sit on them it’s not the end of the world! I’ve got 3 or 4 pairs of them.

Not helpful but I’ve been round in circles looking for sunglasses this year. Looked at all the “online” brands like Sungod, Messy Weekend, Tens and god knows what else. Got thoroughly bored of over researching and bought a pair of £20 O’Neills at TK Maxx :p

They’re good, but I was sat in the garden and compared them with my girlfriend’s Maui Jim’s and by gosh there’s a difference in lens quality. I now think spinning some good money on a known brand like Persol, MJ, Ray Ban etc. is actually probably worth it! :(

Edit; the problem with most of the online brands like Sungod is that you can’t return them. Rather daft for something as particular as eye wear.

Last edited:
We've NOMAD, SUNGOD and Another I forget.
All really good.
Some come with lifetime warranty if you sit on them. Which I did.....
Went a bit mental and bought half a dozen pairs.... Oops.

They don’t bounce and if you happen to leave them in the hotel room or sit on them it’s not the end of the world! I’ve got 3 or 4 pairs of them.
I've got Sungods which I've had for a few years now and been impressed with, but if/when I finally lose them I'll get some Goodrs. They seem pretty much the same and a lot cheaper

I've got some Nomad ones but they are just cheap flimsy tat. Lenses scratch really easily too, when they're not falling out. If you get a suitably good deal they are OK.

I tend to stick to Oakley Frogskins (XS for my face), they are pretty indestructible, much better lenses. Can get them fairly cheap of you shop around, think I paid £60.

Also have some Raybans for more formal occasions.

Not strictly travelling but I need a new pair for holiday.

I'm looking at a brand called SunGod and their Renegade glasses. Does anyone have experience with this brand or can offer alternatives for around the same price?
Got a couple of pairs of SunGod glasses last week and sent them straight back. They’re vastly overpriced plastic tat. The website pics make them look good but in real life they look like those novelty kids glasses you can get for 99p.

I bought a pair of Raybans instead. Don’t know what I was thinking getting those SunGod glasses…

Edit; the problem with most of the online brands like Sungod is that you can’t return them. Rather daft for something as particular as eye wear.
Just noticed this. You can return SunGod glasses but you have to google for the return form on their website as there’s no direct link from the website! I too noticed that SunGod state no returns in their T&Cs which I’m pretty sure is illegal. If you custom designed your glasses then there may be an issue otherwise you’re covered by the standard distance selling T&Cs

Just noticed this. You can return SunGod glasses but you have to google for the return form on their website as there’s no direct link from the website! I too noticed that SunGod state no returns in their T&Cs which I’m pretty sure is illegal. If you custom designed your glasses then there may be an issue otherwise you’re covered by the standard distance selling T&Cs
They claim every pair is 'custom' so they don't have to provide returns.

Got a couple of pairs of SunGod glasses last week and sent them straight back. They’re vastly overpriced plastic tat. The website pics make them look good but in real life they look like those novelty kids glasses you can get for 99p.

I bought a pair of Raybans instead. Don’t know what I was thinking getting those SunGod glasses…
I think I bought mine well over 5 years ago, so I wonder whether the quality has reduced in the interim. Mine has metal screws holding the arms in place for example, which I understand they've now done away with

They claim every pair is 'custom' so they don't have to provide returns.
Yes that’s what they say in the T&Cs. However Google for the Sundog return form and there it is. My refund is being processed right now. Had to pay for the return myself which is fair enough

This.

I once had a pair of Gargolye wrap around sunglasses (as worn by Big Annie in The Terminator) and I was super paranoid about losing or damaging them, to the point it was ruining my enjoyment of days outs etc.

Binned them and have been decent £30 ones for years and enjoyed zero drama days in the sun.

I've got Sungods which I've had for a few years now and been impressed with, but if/when I finally lose them I'll get some Goodrs. They seem pretty much the same and a lot cheaper

Disappointing. I have some Goodrs with and the mirrored coating just falls off the lenses, never had that on previous higher end pairs, and was hoping Sungods were going to be better.

This.

I once had a pair of Gargolye wrap around sunglasses (as worn by Big Annie in The Terminator) and I was super paranoid about losing or damaging them, to the point it was ruining my enjoyment of days outs etc.

Binned them and have been decent £30 ones for years and enjoyed zero drama days in the sun.
My wife got me a nice pair of personalised Ray Bans as a wedding gift, it's our 2 year anniversary in 2 weeks and I think they've been out of the case less than 5 times for fear of them getting damaged. My day to day Wiley X's that I've had for about 6 years look like they've been to a warzone but they're still holding out :o

You can 100% tell the difference between cheap lenses and decent ones though. I'd never go back to cheap £10 out of the supermarket style glasses or anything not polarized.

Last edited:
Disappointing. I have some Goodrs with and the mirrored coating just falls off the lenses, never had that on previous higher end pairs, and was hoping Sungods were going to be better.
To be fair I find their lenses great - I've bought replacement lenses more recently as I scratched mine up pretty badly in a fall while skiing, and the newer ones are just as good.

That's good. To be fair the lenses are the only place they can be different really as frames are cheap as hell to make in any material. I was listening to a Freakonomics podcast talking about the crazy markup on frames.

My Goodr frames are still decent but they don't let you buy new lenses which is a shame.

You can return prescription sunglasses online. I sent back some £300+ Oakleys as they turned up and the plastic frames felt like something from a pound shop

Back
Top Bottom