Sunglasses

They look like every other online 'new' sunglasses brand tbh.. :o

Exactly. I wanted to buy Sungod ski goggles a few years ago and that put me off completely.

Tried Vallon? They seem to be popping up a lot for me and have some nice designs.

It's difficult because as you say, there's so many brands popping up and ultimately glasses cost peanuts to produce so there's never going to be much between a £20 pair and a £100 pair and seems like every outdoor brand is throwing out their own versions, but it's difficult to know which are expensive because they're using better lenses or just having huge margins.

Maybe try Siroko for Ski Goggles? I've been impressed with their cycling stuff and they're reasonably priced for their sunglasses.

Last edited:
I like Bloc sunglasses. A wide range of styles, reasonably priced and good quality.

Not sure if the official site is the best place to get them price wise.

Cotswold Outdoor stock them if you wanted to try them on in person.

currently using prescription polarised oakley flak-jackets for everything driving+sports, but if I had to re-purchase would have to address the dilemma of polarised glasses
not working with newer cars LCD instrument, tablet panels, HU displays, but, polarised is so superior

I have 16 pairs. :eek: But I do live in Australia so there is some justification.
Tom Ford for style but on a really bright day you'll still squint a little, Oakley Prism for the absolute best in vision and sun protection - nothing else comes close and they do a much wider range of non sporty and more stylish versions nowadays such as the latch and holbrook, there's even an aviator style. Ray Ban are a good in-between, in particular the cromance lenses which while not as good as prism are better than most others on the market I've tried. I keep a pair of non polarised RB Clubmaster in the car for driving as polarised aren't ideal, they have glass lenses as opposed to poly so won't scratch in the door pocket.

They look like every other online 'new' sunglasses brand tbh.. :o

Exactly. I wanted to buy Sungod ski goggles a few years ago and that put me off completely.

Maybe so but it is a classic design if you will!

They just sit better and feel better on, I’m at the stage where I don’t really care if they look cheap. Although I don’t think they do to be honest.

I’ve got a few pairs of Ray-bans, Prada and Oakley. The oakley flak jacket like above has a more wrap around style which hold on quite nicely but when ever i’m out running in them they kind of bounce around where as the goodr ones don’t.

I honestly don’t really notice a difference in the lens with them, i’ve got the prizm polarized lenses in them that the bloke in the sunglass hut claimed are the bees knees. When fishing they make no difference to the goodr pair I have kept in the fishing bag. Despite them costing more than 6x.

RtHvLSl.jpeg

Last edited:
Whilst i do really like my Goodr's these are mine after ~18 months. I've never had this happen with any previous sunglasses, although my only other experience with mirrored coatings were some cheap O'Neils ones i lost at sea. They never went like this though.

I'll caveat by saying i have dropped them once or twice, but other than that they live in the cloth bag they came in and they've certainly not been dropped any more/less than any other sunglasses i've had.

BPFP0RH.png

I do still wear them as weirdly it's not very noticeable when wearing them and they are superbly comfortable. I've seen a few 3rd parties which offer replacement lenses which sound like they're higher quality so might order some.

but when ever i’m out running in them they kind of bounce around where as the goodr ones don’t.
get some new unobtanium sleeves - mine did improve with a thorough soap cleaning, too - the unobtanium seems to leach/breakdown a bit, or maybe that's sweat after a few years
(like this rubber stuff on my dell laptop palmrest, now)

e:lanyards would probably be good tooo - rip my vaunet sunglasses lost near chamonix

Last edited:
I've tried a few "cheap" brands, and never found any I like as much as Oakleys - may be psychological due to the cost, but the quality (particularly of the lenses) always seems a lot better.

Currently using a 6 year old pair of Prizm Ruby Polarized "Mainlink" and they're like new except for a small scratch, despite having been dropped several times! The lenses are fantastic, crystal clear and even driving directly at the sun isn't an issue.

currently using prescription polarised oakley flak-jackets for everything driving+sports, but if I had to re-purchase would have to address the dilemma of polarised glasses
not working with newer cars LCD instrument, tablet panels, HU displays, but, polarised is so superior

Depends on the glasses & car. My last 2 pairs have been polarised, and I've never had a problem with any screens, in the car or otherwise.

Not strictly travelling but I need a new pair for holiday.

I'm looking at a brand called SunGod and their Renegade glasses. Does anyone have experience with this brand or can offer alternatives for around the same price?

100%.

Had one pair of Sungods - been SUPERB.

used for about 3 maybe 4 years now - thrown in golf bags/travel bags, used in swimming pools etc etc.

The one time I dropped them and somehow they snapped the arm off - Contacted Sungods, used their Lifetime guarantee, and they repaired them and returned them inside 72 hours.

Would never buy another pair from anywhere else again if I needed another set.

Got a pair of matte black Oakley Holbrook sunglasses this year with prizm grey lenses and absolutely love them.

I've got a few challenges with my eyesight following a vitreous detachment in my left eye last year (as well as a very high prescription) so I'm always wearing sunglasses along with contact lenses. The clarity and subtle boost to contrast with the prizm lenses is something else, really impressed with them.

I use another pair of the prizm golf lenses on a pair of flak something frames which I've used for years but these new ones this year for me are at another level.

Depends on the glasses & car. My last 2 pairs have been polarised, and I've never had a problem with any screens, in the car or otherwise.
Had a look at an iphone screen with the Oakley pol'd never done that before - and behaves like laptop.
in portrait mode it's half dark and if you tilt head -45deg left good, 45deg right black, +45deg pol seems to be common for cars too from google. and glasses vertical=0deg
I often use them driving near sunset in the UK (also brown tinted)- analogue dials obviously fine, but lcd screens for changing music become too dim ...
I need one of those chinese ev where you can rotate screen at all angles - if the text tracks.

google suggest polarisation reduces depth perception accuracy which I never knew though

The Oakley Prism usually come with a printed warning to not use them for driving. It's not dangerous as such but it is distracting, can't see my heads up display while wearing and can only see the info screen at certain angles. Dials are all digital and they are fine but car has auto dimming mirrors and sometimes they are blank at certain times of day. Often get weird reflections from other car windscreens through mine too which is a bit off putting.

I’ve got the McLaren Renegades from sun god

They’re great. They get knocked around a lot and the quality of the lenses is fantastic. Significantly better than my Ray Ban Polarised which were £170

Lifetime warranty is a bonus.

They don’t feel premium but they feel robust and much better than cheapo plastic equivalents I’ve had.

I’ve had a pair of Oakleys with polarised Prizm lenses and I’ll never go back. So so so so so so good.

They are prescription and the high contrast makes my visions even more clear than my regular glasses. Looking at something like grass and the detail you get is insane. Turbo vision!

Probably overhyping with this post but I do love them.

Last edited:
For rhodes I deliberately got a pair of CAT4 polarised.
CAT4 you can’t drive with but they worked really well in severe sun and on water.
From decathlon - simply because it’s unlikely I’ll use them other than in full summer here so cheap to replace and don’t look completely ****.

Last edited:
another issue is having oakley flak style without ear hooks allow you to use it with cycling, or safety helmet - they do have an annoyingly large hard case though,
but even those can't use with a balaclaver I often have in rucsac from a face chilling experience.

Whilst i do really like my Goodr's these are mine after ~18 months. I've never had this happen with any previous sunglasses, although my only other experience with mirrored coatings were some cheap O'Neils ones i lost at sea. They never went like this though.

I'll caveat by saying i have dropped them once or twice, but other than that they live in the cloth bag they came in and they've certainly not been dropped any more/less than any other sunglasses i've had.

BPFP0RH.png

I do still wear them as weirdly it's not very noticeable when wearing them and they are superbly comfortable. I've seen a few 3rd parties which offer replacement lenses which sound like they're higher quality so might order some.

Fwiw my daughter's not inexpensive Ray-Bans look like this. I got my pair of chromed glasses at the same time and mine are fine

Back
Top Bottom