Surface Book Performance Base vs Kaby Lake XPS 15

Soldato
OP
The last gen XPS15 had issues with USB-C charging.

I don't have a USB-C charging capable hub so i'll have to look into that for my desk at home.

I assume the provided power cable is faster for charging however?

Otherwise really enjoying mine!

Was meant to arrived wednesday but the courier said they couldnt get access (funny because id been sat with my nose poking out the letterbox since 6am!) they didnt even try, and the depot were useless over the phone.

At least it came the next day lol, super happy!

Did it come with the fingerprint reader?

What's initial thoughts on battery life?

Soldato
it did come with reader, i specified that as an option over web chat.

No comment on battery life as ive only had it for this afternoon and ive been in and out while its been charging/updating/installing/transferring stuff

Soldato
OP
Ok so I have had it a few days at work and can honestly say that its amazing! The screen res is awesome and I have set scaling to 125% which means I can mark work alongside a spreadsheet tracker with ease.

I completely overdid the usage scenario yesterday while at work, installing software, max brightness, constant usage and it just about survived! (was on 3% at the end of the day)

Today has been more conservative, still fairly heavy usage in terms of browing but it has had screen dimmed to 20% and quicker screen off / sleep settings. Its been used since 8:20 and is coming up to 4pm with 56% still to go and windows telling me its got another 7hrs remaining! Would love to see if there is an app that can actually calculate usage times and scenarios etc

I have not had any issues I was expecting with performance, web pages load instantly and even my heavy use of Google Chrome can't max out my RAM which currently sits around 8gb used.

The mouse is awesome and I find it so easy to use. Coming from a MacBook with BetterTouch installed this trackpad is nearly as good and with a few tweaks have my gestures and swipes sorted! Couldn't be happier.

The touch screen is actually fairly useful. I thought I would not be using it as much but to navigate between web pages with swipes and general browsing it works a treat. Certainly something I could get used to.

The build quality is very good too. It is slightly heavier than I expected, (I was expecting a feather to be fair) but feels solid and I have no hesitation in lugging it around the place.

I quite like the textured finish on the palm rests and the overall look of it. I have it wrapped in a temp skin while I wait for the DBrand one so will take some pics once I get that!

All in all very happy with it. I kinda do miss the windows hello log on functionality that a fingerprint sensor or camera would have given but a quick 4 digit pin while at school means its easy to keep secure.

So far so good though!

Soldato
OP
So in case anyone is interested, I googled a way to get your battery stats from Win10. Turns out it keeps a log and you can tap into it. I have made a batch script to run the report and open it. Gives some nice charts and graphs etc.

Here is a snippet of the info (it does give you minute by minute and % by % breakdown also)
s5D26ZCh.png.jpg

And the code (I realise this isn't the most efficient as the script needs to be run by admin I created a shortcut which has admin rights)

Code:
start powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html"
start chrome.exe "C:\battery_report.html"

Basic steps are to save that as a .bat file on your c drive, create a shortcut from it, go to properties, advanced and run as admin. Move that shortcut wherever (mine lives on the desktop) and double click anytime you want an instant battery report!

If there is a more efficient way then please let me know!

Just realised the last 4 posts in this thread are by me! Yay for one way convo's :D

Associate
So I've overcome my USB-C charging issue. I bought an 87w Apple USB-C charger for the MacBook Pro, and it charges both my 9550 and 9560 XPS 15's. One caveat is that the wattage isn't sufficient to power the dedicated graphics, so you're stuck with integrated graphics while on USB-C power. But, if you disconnect the USB-C cable and run on battery then you have full graphical capabilities. This charging functionality useful for me as the Apple charger can also then be used to charge my other USB-C devices when I'm away from home, and international plug adapters for the Apple PSU are easy to find.

Soldato
OP
So this one is suffering from coil whine :( didn't think it was that bad (did hear some when Installing windows etc) but it's getting worse as I was installing more software today and tried some light gaming and it is obvious. Will contact Dell and see what they can do. Not too happy now. Kinda wishing I went for the bigger brother 9560

Soldato
skaif;30495054 said:
So this one is suffering from coil whine :( didn't think it was that bad (did hear some when Installing windows etc) but it's getting worse as I was installing more software today and tried some light gaming and it is obvious. Will contact Dell and see what they can do. Not too happy now. Kinda wishing I went for the bigger brother 9560

I think I read about a "fix", by manually updating the audio drivers (I think from realteks site directly?). I've no coil whine on mine, at least none I can notice!

Soldato
OP
jamief;30499498 said:
I think I read about a "fix", by manually updating the audio drivers (I think from realteks site directly?). I've no coil whine on mine, at least none I can notice!

Yeah I am returning it.

Managed to swing a deal on the 15inch for 1750 in the end including the fingerprint scanner with the 4k screen, 16gb, 512 ssd and 3 year warranty.

Hope it all works out now!

Soldato
Yeah I am returning it.

Managed to swing a deal on the 15inch for 1750 in the end including the fingerprint scanner with the 4k screen, 16gb, 512 ssd and 3 year warranty.

Hope it all works out now!

any excuse for an upgrade :p

My 9560 has coilwhile but i literally have to turn everything in the room off and press my ear to the keyboard. So i guess thats not really coilwhine so much. Could well just be tinnitus too lol XD

You're getting the exact same model as me, you'll love it.

I'm also finding the touch screen super useful as someone else mentioned, especially when demonstrating things to people. Only downside is my clammy hands leave horrible marks! Its a tough trade off between marks and functionality :(

Soldato
OP
any excuse for an upgrade :p

My 9560 has coilwhile but i literally have to turn everything in the room off and press my ear to the keyboard. So i guess thats not really coilwhine so much. Could well just be tinnitus too lol XD

You're getting the exact same model as me, you'll love it.

I'm also finding the touch screen super useful as someone else mentioned, especially when demonstrating things to people. Only downside is my clammy hands leave horrible marks! Its a tough trade off between marks and functionality :(

Haha we all love an upgrade!

I am looking forward to it, will take around 2 weeks though. Wondering how big the size difference is between the 2, I love how small the 13 inch is! Hope its not too dissimilar to my old Macbook!

I already find the screen to be useful, particularly when browsing with Chromes support for swipey gestures.

Edit
So found some comparisons with my old Macbook (late 2013 retina)

Dell
1. Depth: 9.27 in (235mm)
2. Width: 14.06 in (357mm)
3. Height: 0.45-0.66 in (11-17mm)
4. Weight: 4.5 lbs (2kg)

Macbook
1. Depth: 8.62 in (219 mm)
2. Width: 12.35 in (314 mm)
3. Height: 0.71 in (18 mm)
4. Weight: 3.46 lbs (1.57 kg)

So a bit thinner, wider and longer but not by much! Considering its a full 15.6inch screen vs the 13.3 on the macbook!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hope you like the 15" - I had one of the XPS 15 (pre infinity-edge) and it was great. I spend a lot of time on the train commuting so needed something small.

Did your XPS 13 dbrand skin turn up? Still waiting for mine :(

Soldato
OP
Hope you like the 15" - I had one of the XPS 15 (pre infinity-edge) and it was great. I spend a lot of time on the train commuting so needed something small.

Nope still waiting for mine too, will be 15 business days this Thursday so will be emailing them to see what they can do. Add to the fact I no longer need it means that its all a bit of a waste for me!

Soldato
OP

Your skin turn up? I got charged £11.08 taking the overall cost to around £50! Not happy :(

Associate
Ordered my XPS 15 9560 4k last week. Can't wait to use it, been reading great things. Been looking to purchase an Ultrawide monitor for my office whilst stationary with it too. Will the the laptop support a 34/38" Ultrawide monitor without issue? I've spoken to Dell and they're suggesting an HDMI to HDMI connection to hook it up? Others are suggesting a thunderbolt dock? Any advice?

Soldato
OP
Ordered my XPS 15 9560 4k last week. Can't wait to use it, been reading great things. Been looking to purchase an Ultrawide monitor for my office whilst stationary with it too. Will the the laptop support a 34/38" Ultrawide monitor without issue? I've spoken to Dell and they're suggesting an HDMI to HDMI connection to hook it up? Others are suggesting a thunderbolt dock? Any advice?
Don't see why it can't support the monitor considering that it can output 4k to 2 more monitors (so 3 including the laptop display)
I did have a look at docks but the Dell one is obscenely expensive! I would assume a thunderbolt cable would do the job. Which monitor?

Side note on my order, just got a text at this time saying its to be delivered tomorrow! Happy days! :D

Associate
Don't see why it can't support the monitor considering that it can output 4k to 2 more monitors (so 3 including the laptop display)
I did have a look at docks but the Dell one is obscenely expensive! I would assume a thunderbolt cable would do the job. Which monitor?

Side note on my order, just got a text at this time saying its to be delivered tomorrow! Happy days! :D

Great stuff. I've spoken to Dell and LG and their advice was to use HDMI/HDMI but I support your view that it should be able to support multiple 4k monitors. Reviews of the docking station have been really, really poor, the price just cements it as a non-viable option.

I'm not particularly looking for anything to blow my socks off, just a nice looking, solid ultrawide to work from. I'm probably going to be purchasing purchasing the LG 34UC98 from OcUK.

Think our laptops must've been on the same flight, mine is due for delivery for tomorrow too! Waited long enough!

Soldato
Your skin turn up? I got charged £11.08 taking the overall cost to around £50! Not happy :(

Yes, although I only got the top and trackpad skins, in matte black, which was about £20 I think. Looks great! Wish I'd bought a few more though, as I expect I might want to change every so often. If only they were re-usable!

Back
Top Bottom