Suspiciously slow SSD

Associate
Have an issue with a slow SSD (Crucial 1TB). Comparing to NVME m2 is seems to be 5x slower so makes me suspicious (tested with crystal disk). Appreciate that testing speed is not as simple as that but I discovered the issue when I moved a game to nvme m2 and there is a huge improvement. So far:

• check BIOS and it is AHCI

• all my SATA ports are 6GB/s

• It is @ 75% capacity
What else could I check?

Soldato
SSD as in sata ? Could be about 550MB/sec and a M2 nvme will do 2500MB/s+ easily so 5 times slower could be normal. Are we at the point now where people are thinking that Sata SSD's are now unacceptably slow ? Have you used a mechanical HDD ?

in saying that can you post the actual crustal disk report

Man of Honour
Yup this is why all my games and fast access stuff is on the nvme and not the SATA SSD. 550MB/s is perfectly fine for accessing media data files, but not where it counts vs an nvme for stuff that needs to be loaded as quick as possible!

A slight workaround which is not relevant for this thread as you don't have a Samsung SATA SSD is to use RAPID mode which dynamically uses a portion of excess RAMto speed up read and write which will become as fast as your system RAM. It needs to be left on for a while as it learns what sorts of stuff you load often and will load those to and from the RAM cache in future.

There is no risk of data loss as the risk factor is the same as OS caching files to system RAM anyway. Samsung have a paper on it here which may be of interest if you ever get a Samsung SSD in future: https://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/E600/MZ-75EXXXB_DB.pdf

Soldato
> all my SATA ports are 6GB/s
This is the source of your confusion as it should be 6Gb/s. Divide by ten* to get GB/s and it's 600GB/s and you'll see that your 550GB/s is really very close.

*Yes, it should be divide by eight but a couple of extra bits are used for error correction.

Back
Top Bottom