Swapping Drive Platters ?

Associate
Let me state up front that - "yes I know the chances of it working are extremely slim".

Background.

Main Windows 7 drive has died. On power up it make a slow clunking sound, really loud about once every 2 seconds. This isn't the dainty little clicks or squeals but heavy loud clunks.

Drive does not appear in BIOS.

So have an identical donor drive. Have tried swapping the boards - its not that - in fact the board from the dead disk works in the donor disk.

Took the back off the dead disk and the platter has mirror finish, not a scratch in sight. Single platter.

I'd like some of the data but its not critical enough to pay £100+ to attempt professional recovery.

So going to try a platter swap. Once again, I know it probably won't work and even if it does it won't last long - so it will be recover what I can and then bin it.

So my QUESTION.

Assuming I swap, connect as a secondary drive and it appears in the BIOS what should I do next.

Do I just boot to windows, connect up my flash drive and copy using windows.

Or should I use a utility.

Or is there something else I need to do.

Cheers,

Nigel

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

The fact that you've already opened it means you are doomed. A speck of dust under the heads is enough to ruin the drive. And you only need one failure for the drive electronics to go into error-correcting mode, which will just cause more and more damage. I opened a drive that had a small handful of sector relocations (which for me is instant dismissal), and within 2-3 minutes it stopped responding. It started making a high-pitched beeping sound, and the heads just parked themselves and it refused to do anything more.

Associate
I suppose it's worth a go as a shot to nothing (a quick google will bring up some howtos) - in your favour, it's a single-platter drive which increases the likelihood of success from "zero" to "extremely remote." A clean room or at least some sort of ultra-clean environment would help, but it sounds like that ship has already sailed.

I doubt if any software utility will do much good if it's a mechanical problem.

If by some miracle you do get it up and running, *don't* boot from it, install it as a secondary drive. You want to keep any disk activity to the absolute minimum necessary to recover the data, and loading Windows would stress it unnecessarily.

edit: sorry, I didn't read your post properly.

If the disk is visible in the BIOS, I'd first of all boot from a Macrium rescue flash drive and try copying the entire disk as a complete image to another (larger) drive - that way, ithe drive should be read linearly sector-by-sector which might minimise seeking, and then you can work on the image to recover data rather than the broken drive itself. It's an incredibly long shot though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I had already decided that I wasn't going to pay for professional recovery as the data isn't worth that much.

And since the drive is confirmed mechanically dead I have already lost the data.

So I don't see that there is anything to lose in trying a platter swap. I've already accepted the chance of it working is tiny but the chance of recovering data if I don't is 0%.

So I was really after advice about what I should do if by some miracle it does work, even temporarily.

Thanks for the advice about Macrium - I will look into that.

But a question about that. This is a 500GB drive mostly full of applications and games that I don't care about.

What I want is my outlook PST and My Documents which is probably about 2GB at most.

Would it not be better to attach as a secondary disk and copy those specifically.

I understand the merits of Macrium reading sector by sector but if it fails 40GB in then chances that there be nothing of what I want in the recovered data.

Cheers,

Nigel

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Yeah, definitely just try to grab what you can, as quickly as you can. Don't plug it in until you are booted into Windows and have nothing that will interrupt you.

Soldato
The best thing you can do is avoid dragging the heads across the platters, as you already have done. There's a very good reason the heads have a very thin air cushion created for them by the spinning platters.

As you have a single platter drive, a piece of folded plastic will be of much help to you in safely keeping the heads from the platters.

I recommend a read of some threads on HDD Guru forums for some advice and help.

Back
Top Bottom