Swerving to the opposite side when junction turning?

Soldato
I notice this more and more, maybe it's just me and I can't for the life of me think why?

-the turning circles on cars have changed?
-Is some sort of slingshot manoeuvre to gain speed on the exit of swerve ala Star Trek IV?
-Is this now taught in lessons?

rant over :)

Man of Honour
It shouldn't be being taught in lessons - it is discouraged as a practise. For our van drivers we try to get them to use straight and late as an approach rather than swinging out.

Soldato
the turning circles on cars have changed?

Actually yes. Some more than others. The turning circle of the 2CV, for instance, has increased from a post-war 10.5m to 11.2m. The turning circle of a Mini has gone up from 8.6m to 11.4m. But neither is enough to justify turning wide.

But my first thought was avoiding potholes. or poor road surface.

Soldato
It is bad in Cleveland - always a car, various sizes from a Smart for2 up to, say, a Skoda Octavia estate. They don't even look to see if a vehicle is coming towards them before they do it!
I accept Lorries need to swing to get into a side street, but cars⁉️ Can't say they are travelling particularly quick either

Soldato
I notice this more and more, maybe it's just me and I can't for the life of me think why?

-the turning circles on cars have changed?
-Is some sort of slingshot manoeuvre to gain speed on the exit of swerve ala Star Trek IV?
-Is this now taught in lessons?

rant over :)
I don't get it. Can I have a diagram or something please?

Soldato
People frightened of clipping their 19" diamond cut wheels that'll cost a kidney to refurb and then start corroding from the inside anyway :p

Soldato
I don't get it. Can I have a diagram or something please?

Basically, say you're turning right. Instead of going far enough ahead so that you're turning into the left lane of the road you're turning onto. It seems a lot of people now cut across the right lane.

I'm also noticing it more and more, and it can get sketchy when you're approaching a junction and someone has just seen no car and flies across you.

Soldato
Basically, say you're turning right. Instead of going far enough ahead so that you're turning into the left lane of the road you're turning onto. It seems a lot of people now cut across the right lane.

I'm also noticing it more and more, and it can get sketchy when you're approaching a junction and someone has just seen no car and flies across you.
Oh yea, that happens to me all the time. I just call them a ****** and carry on :D

Soldato

I thought the thread was about a more subtle behaviour that that (although as azazl said above, there are words already reserved for those kinds of folks) -

I thought OP was referring to when people 'turn right' to do a 'tight left'. The initial turn right can confuse folk and if extreme enough, invoke the person behind to 'inadvertently undertake'.

I've noticed it on a few 'T' junctions where the road hasn't been modified to let the rear tyre clear the kerb.

Back
Top Bottom