Swerving to the opposite side when junction turning?

Soldato
Someone hit my car doing this. They went into a filter lane so I carried on and then they turned into the junction and hit my car on the rear drivers side panel. They instantly tried to blame me but the insurance bods thought otherwise.

Soldato
Bin lorry drivers are a different bread tbh.
are they called refuse operators in the same mold as marketting executives ... new c43 has 4 wheel steer upgrade ?

I'd thought it might have been a bread bin pun - grandparents had one.
e: same thought.

Soldato
can't say I've never seen it happen but haven't noticed any 'trend' with it...having said that, after passing LGV1/artic test 15 years ago the driving assessor for the company I was working with said something along the lines of 'see the folk in Fiestas that swerve out to take the corners - that's what you want to do' so he must have noticed it back then!

what I have noticed (as mentioned) is the lazy ******* that can't be bothered turning the steering wheel and cut corners turning in to junctions!, don't think there's much of a problem with that if you can see there's nobody approaching the junction but so many just do it it by default

another annoyance - people turning right at a junction/roundabout with a single lane (no chance of being 2 abreast) approach who will be as far right as possible in the lane...just means there's less room for anyone exiting the roundabout/turning in to the junction

Soldato
I say its sheer laziness. I live off a major roundabout. I leave the roundabout and then turn right onto a road of shops, cafes etc to go home. Those who are driving on the shops road that want to turn right into the road connecting to the roundabout, cut the corner. All it needs to drive half a car length.

If there's an accident on this junction where people turn right without looking - its going to cause absolute chaos.

Lorries, buses can't help by cutting the corner. Its the cars and small vans that cause the problems

Permabanned
I say its sheer laziness. I live off a major roundabout. I leave the roundabout and then turn right onto a road of shops, cafes etc to go home. Those who are driving on the shops road that want to turn right into the road connecting to the roundabout, cut the corner. All it needs to drive half a car length.

If there's an accident on this junction where people turn right without looking - its going to cause absolute chaos.

Lorries, buses can't help by cutting the corner. Its the cars and small vans that cause the problems
Cool story bro.

Associate
I've always done this since it's basic physics on how to maintain speed whilst turning into a junction.

It's helpful to the guys behind because they won't have to slow down as much to let me turn.

Some cars (that don't do this manoeuvre) slow down to 10mph to make the turn.

If I cross to the opposite lane it's no more than 1 foot, usually don't cross at all - just swerve to the outer edge or current lane before turning.

Reason is maintaining speed (30mph) during turn, maintaining higher gear, not annoying driver behind by slowing down too much.

Always indicate, only do on open junctions with clear visibility and when opposite lane as well as the road you're turning into is clear.

Soldato
I've always done this since it's basic physics on how to maintain speed whilst turning into a junction.

It's helpful to the guys behind because they won't have to slow down as much to let me turn.

If I cross to the opposite lane it's no more than 1 foot, usually don't cross at all - just swerve to the outer edge or current lane before turning.

Reason is maintaining speed (30mph) during turn, maintaining higher gear, not annoying driver behind by slowing down too much.

Always indicate, only do on open junctions with clear visibility and when opposite lane as well as the road you're turning into is clear.
Long elaborate post to indicate your poor driving.

Permabanned

Yeah I don’t see a problem with it. Problem is everybody thinks they are the pinnacle of driving greatness and everybody should drive just how they expect them too.

Some people really are terrible drivers, most are just fine people love an excuse to moan.

Soldato
Yeah I don’t see a problem with it. Problem is everybody thinks they are the pinnacle of driving greatness and everybody should drive just how they expect them too.

Some people really are terrible drivers, most are just fine people love an excuse to moan.
There's nothing subjective about this. He said he takes tight corners at 30mph by swerving a foot into the oncoming carriageway. God forbid anyone is crossing the road he is turning into as he LARPs as Colin McRae

Man of Honour
As a gross generalisation corners which you can safely maintain speed into you wouldn't need to swing out to turn into them while maintaining speed, if you are having to swing out to maintain speed then they are probably corners you should be slowing down into.

Also if driving reasonably, though easier said than done, don't worry about annoying drivers behind you - it is something I have to battle with a bit but worrying about such can cause you to make poor decisions or not be watching the right bit of the road.

I had a good laugh yesterday - I got caught up behind a van which was doing 10 MPH under the speed limit and the person behind was tailgating me and acting very impatient so I ended up following the van through a diversion route around town rather than going through town just to get them off my tail. When I got to the other side of town at the traffic lights where I rejoined the main road as I took my turn turning out I saw approaching the lights on my right the same car and the same traffic which had been behind it before I'd turned off... they'd gained absolutely nothing. I literally chuckled out loud to myself.

EDIT: Oh missed a bit - when I turned off they put their foot down into the now empty road ahead of them with the passenger giving the van driver a hand gesture.

Associate
There's nothing subjective about this. He said he takes tight corners at 30mph by swerving a foot into the oncoming carriageway. God forbid anyone is crossing the road he is turning into as he LARPs as Colin McRae
The same corners every time. Manoeuvring around the road to maximise efficiency whilst also considering safety is what sets basic drivers from advanced. I do similar manoeuvres around medium single lane roundabouts and it's crazy how fast I catch up to the car in front whilst hitting the roundabout the same speed as them and not touching the gas pedal.

Also I didn't mentioned tight corners. They are normal slightly curved. Tight 90 degree corners are rare to come across.

Soldato
OP
I do similar manoeuvres around medium single lane roundabouts and it's crazy how fast I catch up to the car in front whilst hitting the roundabout the same speed as them and not touching the gas pedal.
Why are you trying to catch up to the next car on a roundabout, are you in a race?
Tight 90 degree corners are rare to come across.
Dont you have junctions where you live :confused:

Soldato
I put no value on making maximum speed turns with indifference to lanes to get out of the way of following cars.

The car behind can suck it but really, why would you imagine that the car behind is upset that you slowed to turn off? I've seen plenty of occasions where I turn into a road and ALREADY find another vehicle oncoming on the wrong side of the road, usually dodging around parked cars.

Weird safety last priorities to think it's a sign of quality driving.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find that for some unknown reason people would rather unconsciously "risk" a head-on collision with a car by pulling out into the opposite lane rather than "risk" catching their alloys on the curb by turning too tight. I find its the same when you're driving down a road with cars parked up on one side, where people driving down the side with the parked cars are so afraid of clipping a wing mirror of a parked car that they push themselves so far into the oncoming lane that they're now at a much higher risk of a head-on collision instead.

I think it's Darwinism still trying to work despite cars being so safe now, so accidents which would have previously removed these drivers from the gene pool are now no more than minor bumps :D

Permabanned
People overtake on the opposite side of the road. No need to take it to the extremes lot of drama queens in here it seems.

I do it from time to time. No I don’t risk head on collisions, no I don’t mow down pedestrians. I do it as squirrel mentioned because it means I don’t have to slow down as much. I’m still in complete control and still maintaining road safety.

Soldato
People overtake on the opposite side of the road. No need to take it to the extremes lot of drama queens in here it seems.

I do it from time to time. No I don’t risk head on collisions, no I don’t mow down pedestrians. I do it as squirrel mentioned because it means I don’t have to slow down as much. I’m still in complete control and still maintaining road safety.

Maybe a visual is better to understand my point -

UWoUwLt.jpg

The Left side is how people tend to drive (scared of parked cars so move too far to the right risking a head on from oncoming cars) whereas moving a little to the left is just better for everyone.

Caporegime
Maybe a visual is better to understand my point -

UWoUwLt.jpg

The Left side is how people tend to drive (scared of parked cars so move too far to the right risking a head on from oncoming cars) whereas moving a little to the left is just better for everyone.
It's generally not being scared of them, it's following good practice and giving sufficient space so that if someone in one of the parked cars opens a door and steps out you don't hit them.

Back
Top Bottom