Switched To Linux

Soldato
Hey All,

Finally switched over to Linux at home, During my work life i use linux pretty much alld ay from command line in .... windows...

however took the jump into Ubuntu Budgie tonight for my gaming/coding rig.... (Yikes i hear) worth a try!

System Monitor goodness! :)
1HglILP.jpg

tcjfzbz.jpg

Associate
Abandoned Windows completely for Linux like 6 years ago, haven't looked back.

I don't miss Windows at all.

Check out Lutris and Steam Play/Proton if you haven't, both are pretty much preconfigured Wine front-end for Windows games.

Soldato
OP
Abandoned Windows completely for Linux like 6 years ago, haven't looked back.

I don't miss Windows at all.

Check out Lutris and Steam Play/Proton if you haven't, both are pretty much preconfigured Wine front-end for Windows games.
already installing gta & witcher 3 :)

Associate
Welcome to the club!

I've been using Linux nearly exclusively for about 6 years now. It's amazing how much better gaming has got in this relatively short period. I do still have Windows installed and use it very occasionally, but being able to now play about 95% of my games on Linux I can't remember the last time I booted into it. You lose a bit of performance and often have to do some extra configuration but it's totally worth it to use a nicer OS.

Associate
Not having to deal with Windows' crap makes it really worth it for me.

Occasionally I run into issues where things aren't scaled properly because I'm running 4k monitor with Budgie desktop scaling set to 200%, hope that'll get sorted sometime, but for the most part, it doesn't really hinder my gaming experience.

I've been playing Skyrim at 4k with RX 570, ran surprisingly well, even with a bit of performance loss because it's running under Wine.

Soldato
I'd love to be able to switch to Linux full time but until I can get a second GPU for GPU passthrough so I can run a Windows VM with GPU acceleration I have to stay on Windows 10 full time. I just use VMWare Workstation Pro 15 to run multiple Linux instances for programming.

Man of Honour
I'd love to be able to switch to Linux full time but until I can get a second GPU for GPU passthrough so I can run a Windows VM with GPU acceleration I have to stay on Windows 10 full time. I just use VMWare Workstation Pro 15 to run multiple Linux instances for programming.
Presumably that's for games? Or is it for something else?

Soldato
Installed Linux Mint 19.1 this morning on the shared computer. My partner uses this as well and after having a play about with the cinnamon DE I can see why it's recommended.
The package manager is slick, searching for and changing themes and icons (numix) is simple, and the resource usage is low for the functionality.
I'm tempted to replace the gnome DE on my ageing laptop with this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Silly question - in your screenshots, they don't have the massive great title bar at the top of every window. Have you tinkered to get rid of that, or is it now gone by default in Ubuntu?

Associate
I'm a Linux newbie. I'd like to switch to be a full time user but I also game so I'm not all that sure how to go about doing that. Anyway, I brought a HP2133 laptop refurbished and installed AntiX. It works great. I like to learn the terminal on a network level.

Soldato
I switched a couple of years back but I still have a Windows 7 partition for gaming. Steam stuff is fine and I use Proton mainly for that, but it’s things with DRM that I have to go back to the other partition for.

Back
Top Bottom