• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

switching back to 1080p?

Soldato
hi all,

Currently have
1800X
16GB DDR4 @ 3333
1080TI

4K GSync Monitor (60hz)
1440p Gsync (144hz)

i been thinking about swapping back to 1080p (gsync/Freesync) for gaming as a money saving exercise. just want some thoughts & advice on If will actually save me money long term?

So a 1080p Gsync monitor is around £500,
  • 1080ti should be good for a while don't you think?
  • does mean i might need a faster CPU.
  • but cpu's are cheaper than GPU generally.
  • then when the 1080ti is no longer sufficient i can get the standard 70/80?
  • each GPU i buy i might save £200-300 (not getting top end as its not needed for 1080p)
  • top end CPU will be only £300 & should last a long time.
  • less load on GPU/CPU in general so quieter operation (love slience)
  • Less TDP/Power draw = Slient too
does it make sense?
or is my outlay more than i will save?
have i missed anything

Soldato
hi all,

Currently have
1800X
16GB DDR4 @ 3333
1080TI

4K GSync Monitor (60hz)
1440p Gsync (144hz)

i been thinking about swapping back to 1080p (gsync/Freesync) for gaming as a money saving exercise. just want some thoughts & advice on If will actually save me money long term?

• each GPU i buy i might save £200-300 (not getting top end as its not needed for 1080p)
does it make sense?
have i missed anything

Option C keep what you have and dont spend anything for another generation or two.

Soldato
hi all,

Currently have
1800X
16GB DDR4 @ 3333
1080TI

4K GSync Monitor (60hz)
1440p Gsync (144hz)

does it make sense?
have i missed anything

Having some issues with my 4K screen myself, i.e it's so freaking big it's starts to spin me out after a while of intense gaming xD

I have swapped my second screen back to my main so 1440P (27"). And just using the new secondary (4K 32") screen for movies and XBox One X where you don't need to be so close.

Benefit of this is my VEGA 64 can max out setting at 1440P nicely.

My eyes/brain just can't handle sitting so close to a large screen !!

Soldato
If you already have a 4K gsync screen just stick with it, you can lower setting to make games run at higher FPS. 1080P is yuk !!!!!!

Honestly 4K high settings is way nicer than 1080P ultra.

Associate
I would keep what you already have. I also wouldn't be paying £500 for a 1080p monitor period.

Most people on here can only dream of what you already have so I 'm not quite understanding the post.

Is planning long term in PC gaming actually a thing?

GTX 1080ti is so strong that even Nvidia are struggling to top it and will last for a good few years at 1440p.

Maybe sell the 4K monitor and get a 4K TV 55 inches or bigger if you don't have one.

If you have money to burn get an OLED.

That would be my advise unless I don't get what your saying.:)

Caporegime
Keep the 1440p and just just the settings over time as needed, make Gsync earn its money for a while. I reckon you'll get 4-5yrs out of the Ti easily doing that.

Soldato
Keep what you have and just tweak the settings (render scale, shadows, particles, etc. often ultra vs high has high performance impact and little visual impact). There's absolutely massive performance to be gained that way and at very little visual cost. Heck I am on a 4K screen and my gpu is a mere RX 480, not even properly overclocked and I do fine. There's too much visual fidelity lost at 1080p and the higher need for AA alone will kill performance gains while something like QHD is a perfect in between. This comparison is what I am talking about, and note that native is going to look even better than supersampled so the difference is going to be that much greater.

Soldato
I am assuming you have tried 1080p on your monitor and you find the image quality not satisfactory?

but honestly i am using my 1080TI for gaming on 4k TV currently and its perfect on just about every game i play.

and dropping a couple of setting to High from Ultra on few rare games makes the experience even more smooth.

if you are looking for 120+ frames @4k then its best you buy 2080TI rather than buy new monitor.

and I would not go back to 1080p gaming if possible but again to be 100% when deep in games and running about i hardly notice much difference between 1080p and 4k, that is not to say there is no difference there is 100%, 4k is sharper looking but when playing in games I hardly notice the difference. I was actually playing at 1080p most of the time because of some weird driver issue i am having with this TV displaying 4k.

Watch this video

Soldato
I tried using my parents 1080p screen the other day for gaming after using a 4k screen for a few years, everything looks so blocky, it felt like I was back playing CS at 640x480 again, im sure the eyes will get used to it in a few days though and ya probably wont even notice you changed res after a while. I still haven't tried the wonders of high hz gaming yet, im trying to avoid it cause if its as good as everyone says im gonna end up wanting 4k and high hz and spending a fortune trying to get it.

Soldato
OP
just switch back to my 4K for retesting

Feels So soo slow & The text at 27" is horrid going to leave it for a few hours but it feels so jaring at 60hz

but do love the IPS vs TN

Associate
I switched back from a 4K 40" TV back to a 32" 1080P TV. Initially it was because having the TV so large I felt I was having to move my head to look around in games as I use it at a desk so wanted to downsize.
For me I felt 32" was the perfect size at least the way I have things setup and I didn't notice much difference. I did try and find a 32" 4K TV but as far as I can tell they don't exist below about 38". 4K is nice but scaling in desktop can be a pain, tbh I am happy my hardware runs a little cooler now as well with less strain.

Associate
If were talking purley financially keep what you have and don't change a thing. Nothing is going to perform worse going into the future providing you stick withing the high end GPU segment when you do upgrade . **70 **80 + AMD equiv if there is one at the time .

If your talking usuability as a priority try swapping monitors to retain as much valuable as possible as the other party will likely want to do the same so you'll get a rough equivalent in terms of actually value not resale .

Associate
Could sell off your monitors and GPU and get a Vega54 and a freesync 1080p display?

Not sure it’s worth it the hassle though, but you would be fine for quite while with that GPU and freesync

Back
Top Bottom