Switching ISP - O2 won't give me a MAC code

Soldato
I've phoned O2 3 times over the last 20 days trying to get a MAC code so I can move to Sky LLU but they still haven't given me one.
I've just been told that they can't get me a code because BT are saying there is no broadband on the line. :confused:

They said to phone BT and get them to do a 'stop / start' on the line and then order Sky.

Anyone know how much downtime this will cause or if there is a better way of switching?

Thanks

Soldato
have you tried going to sky and ordering their llu service, sounds like o2 being their usual "helpful" selves, if there is broadband on the line it should raise that.

also, make sure that when you switch you call o2, making sure to keep a record of time/date and person(s) you speak too and tell them you've switched and too cancel the service, otherwise theres a fair chance they will carry on charging you.

just out of interest do you have o2's phone service as well ?

Soldato
OP
Don't have O2's phone service just the broadband.

Haven't spoken to Sky yet, thought I needed to cancel O2 or get a mac first before ordering.
Will phone them up tonight, see what they say.

Soldato
I've phoned O2 3 times over the last 20 days trying to get a MAC code so I can move to Sky LLU but they still haven't given me one.
I've just been told that they can't get me a code because BT are saying there is no broadband on the line. :confused:

They said to phone BT and get them to do a 'stop / start' on the line and then order Sky.

Anyone know how much downtime this will cause or if there is a better way of switching?

Thanks

Thats utter rubbish. O2 should be dealing with this for you as O2 are BT's customers not you. If it was me I would have played mary hell with O2 how can someone at O2 say that it cant be changed because BT say there is no broadband. I'd tell O2 how come I am paying you for broadband ?

Its not down to you to ring BT its O2's responsibility. If they can not give you a Mac key within 30 days they are actually breaking the law

Soldato
Its not down to you to ring BT its O2's responsibility. If they can not give you a Mac key within 30 days they are actually breaking the law

o2 push it, as in my experience they really don't care, and unless you have proof they'll say they have received no request for a mac code.

its not down to the op to call bt , but its something to go back to o2 with and if first line give him crap ask for manager /supervisor until he gets hold of someone with a brain cell.

i've experienced rubbish customer service in the past and o2 rates right up there at the top.

Associate
Thats utter rubbish. O2 should be dealing with this for you as O2 are BT's customers not you. If it was me I would have played mary hell with O2 how can someone at O2 say that it cant be changed because BT say there is no broadband. I'd tell O2 how come I am paying you for broadband ?

5 days

Associate
This does happen sometimes, all of the service providers have to be showing the same information. As much as the BB is with O2 your landline is with BT, to generate a MAC for your landline number BT has to know you have BB already, otherwise one can't be created.

Quick and simple, call BT, advice them you have BB with o2, ask them to update their records, within 72 hours this will have been updated to 02 who can generate a MAC for you, you can then give this to Sky.

Its a pain in the ass but its pretty easily solved.

Associate
This does happen sometimes, all of the service providers have to be showing the same information. As much as the BB is with O2 your landline is with BT, to generate a MAC for your landline number BT has to know you have BB already, otherwise one can't be created.

Quick and simple, call BT, advice them you have BB with o2, ask them to update their records, within 72 hours this will have been updated to 02 who can generate a MAC for you, you can then give this to Sky.

Its a pain in the ass but its pretty easily solved.

Glad there's a solution for it, but it's unacceptable that o2 don't do this themselves.

Associate
Data protection act problem - 1 company cannot speak to another company on your behalf to deal with something on your account, even if it does directly impact upon a service you have with the 1st company.

Associate
Data protection act problem - 1 company cannot speak to another company on your behalf to deal with something on your account, even if it does directly impact upon a service you have with the 1st company.

If that were the issue I'd hope they were stating so

Associate
You can't give them permission to do that, they just won't no company will. Its a whole can of worms that no one wants any part of, the liability that comes with having access to someone elses account is huge.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice.

I phoned BT and they basically said O2 are lying. My line is showing as having broadband on it and there has been no request for a MAC code.
Sky wouldn't let me sign up unless I cancelled my O2 first or got a mac code from them.

I'm going to contact Ofcom tomorrow and try and get this mess sorted out.

Associate
Hah surely the comeback is to record your next call.

"Sorry sir there's no broadband on the line"
"oh, then that must be an oversight on my behalf - I'll cancel the direct debit having considered your advices. Surely you won't mind me doing that, since there's nothing on the line."

Ok, don't follow through with cancelling payments but I'd be interested to see what they say to that one.

Associate
Greetings,

There is a number of thing you can do,

1 - move you phone service to sky also,
This will mean you go on to there voice and broadband network and so all service will be with sky no need for a mac code and the line becomes mpf,

2 - phone sky sales tell them to just go and head and place the order, you will call back with the mac code,
Once the order is place wait a few hours call back to order status and tell them what is going on and that they need to fill in a tags on the line form and this will get sent off to BT to clear the line.

Back
Top Bottom