Synology DS916+ & 4 x 4TB Drives

Man of Honour
OP
So some further questions if I may....

1) Is it possible to use my old DS410j as an additional volume to my new DS916+ By this I mean could I simply plug my old device into my new device, which has 2 network points, via an Ethernet and then have the new device just see the old device as more disks?

2) What is the best method to transfer files between the 2 devices without the need to use my PC, which has always been a much slower method than using File Manager in DSM.

Soldato
So some further questions if I may....

1) Is it possible to use my old DS410j as an additional volume to my new DS916+ By this I mean could I simply plug my old device into my new device, which has 2 network points, via an Ethernet and then have the new device just see the old device as more disks?

2) What is the best method to transfer files between the 2 devices without the need to use my PC, which has always been a much slower method than using File Manager in DSM.

I had a little read about transferring and it seems you can add the old nas into the new ones file station which will allow direct transferring of files.

Man of Honour
OP
28859470393_d700a0dc73_h.jpg

Not a great shot, but here are old, new and UPS side by side :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
So I have mounted my Video/Music/Photo folders from my old NAS to my new NAS and that has worked like a dream. I've also added Plex, which means I can now use a current version Mini Mac for another purpose as Plex flies on the new NAS, the old one didn't have enough grunt to drive it! I can say without fear or contradiction that the DS916+ is a big step up from my old and hard working DS410j, which has served really well, even if it's on it's 2nd set (bar 1) of Hard Disks, but now it's my B machine. Finally I have unplugged the USB from the PC and it's now in the back of the DS916+, which spotted it in seconds and configured itself and I have also added the old NAS to the network it's now serving in its roll of UPS Server. Superb stuff, happy bunny.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Housey I have also just ordered the DS916+ 8GB along with 3x 4TB HGST disks and was wondering if you have any updated feedback. How is it running Pex or DSVideo and streaming media over the network? Any issues? Any tips for setup? Also do you use Photostation? :)

Man of Honour
OP
Very pleased with the DS916+ so far and though it's far too early to speak about reliability, if it performs like my old DS410j it will be rock solid. I still use both devices for media storage and now run PLEX Server on the DS916+ and that runs perfectly without any issues. I have power line Ethernet serving my main TV and WiFi elsewhere and I have zero issues with performance or playing HD content from the NAS. The DS410j was not powerful enough for PLEX Server responsibilities, but the DS916+ eats it up without any issue. It is FAR better than running a big server as the OS on Synology is so simple for limited techies like me to administer and it just works without fault.

I mount the DS410j media drives to the DS916+ and that works really well and then access them within PLEX. I have about 500 movies all in HD stored on the old DS410j which pretty much filled it and now add new ones to the new device. Most of my TV's, oddly not my latest one, have the PLEX app and it flies. Menus are quick, updates quick, filing of new content quick, it works like a dream. It is also a much quicker device with more power and much faster access and that's great when moving files from one to the other or uploading stuff and I have all of my Cloud services synced to the NAS for backup reasons really. I don't use Photostation and I don't do much with Photo's except store them for, well I guess future viewing.

I think you will be very pleased with it, I am.

Man of Honour
OP
Too add I have also linked the UPS to the DS916+ and then it controls the shutting down of itself and the other NAS. A simple plug and play too, plug the cable from the UPS into the USB port on the NAS and you're all set, it just sees it and sets itself up. Brilliantly easy.

Caporegime
Very pleased with the DS916+ so far and though it's far too early to speak about reliability, if it performs like my old DS410j it will be rock solid. I still use both devices for media storage and now run PLEX Server on the DS916+ and that runs perfectly without any issues. I have power line Ethernet serving my main TV and WiFi elsewhere and I have zero issues with performance or playing HD content from the NAS. The DS410j was not powerful enough for PLEX Server responsibilities, but the DS916+ eats it up without any issue. It is FAR better than running a big server as the OS on Synology is so simple for limited techies like me to administer and it just works without fault.

I mount the DS410j media drives to the DS916+ and that works really well and then access them within PLEX. I have about 500 movies all in HD stored on the old DS410j which pretty much filled it and now add new ones to the new device. Most of my TV's, oddly not my latest one, have the PLEX app and it flies. Menus are quick, updates quick, filing of new content quick, it works like a dream. It is also a much quicker device with more power and much faster access and that's great when moving files from one to the other or uploading stuff and I have all of my Cloud services synced to the NAS for backup reasons really. I don't use Photostation and I don't do much with Photo's except store them for, well I guess future viewing.

I think you will be very pleased with it, I am.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Does Plex run super smooth then, no problems or lag at all? Same for the rest of the apps etc?

Also which RAID are you using in the end?

Last edited:
Soldato
Another happy owner of a 916+ here :)

Mines serving films/Tv series to smart tv's and a popcorn media player, as well as Usenet, transmission and a 2 camera CCTV setup.

Great device.

Man of Honour
OP
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Does Plex run super smooth then, no problems or lag at all? Same for the rest of the apps etc?

Also which RAID are you using in the end?

I think I went with Synology Hybrid RAID, can't check as I am working away at the moment. PLEX runs without any issues, lags or slowdowns. It is like running it on a powerful PC, there are zero performance issues in my experience serving 1080p files of circa 15gb average size.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I picked one of these up at the weekend and i'm very impressed with the little unit, as its my first mini NAS. I'm running 4TB Black's at the moment in SHR, which will be replaced with some WD Red 6TB's shortly.

Caporegime
I think I went with Synology Hybrid RAID, can't check as I am working away at the moment. PLEX runs without any issues, lags or slowdowns. It is like running it on a powerful PC, there are zero performance issues in my experience serving 1080p files of circa 15gb average size.

What TV are you feeding it to?

Back
Top Bottom