Synology Nas - how to fix 'could not connect to all network drives' when PC boots?

Associate
Good morning all,

I set up a DS918+ over the weekend and everything seems to be working fine apart from 1 thing.

When I boot any PC/laptop on my network when the synology device is in hibernation i am greeted with the Windows 10 message that it 'could not connect to all network drives' when I get to the desktop. I have the mapped network drive to sign in with different credentials and if I wait a moment or click on the mapped network drive in my computer it will come to life.

Is there anything I can do to set this up differently (apart from turning hibernation off and running the drives 24/7?) so that this error message won't appear?

Soldato
When I boot any PC/laptop on my network when the synology device is in hibernation i am greeted with the Windows 10 message that it 'could not connect to all network drives' when I get to the desktop.

That would be expected no? - at that point in time the drive is offline. Or are you somehow pulling the NAS out of hibernation by attempting to connect to it's drive?

Does the same happen if you start the NAS before starting any windows machine? - iirc mapped drives have the option of reconnecting at logon, but again this would require the NAS to already be powered on.

Associate
OP
That would be expected no? - at that point in time the drive is offline. Or are you somehow pulling the NAS out of hibernation by attempting to connect to it's drive?

Does the same happen if you start the NAS before starting any windows machine? - iirc mapped drives have the option of reconnecting at logon, but again this would require the NAS to already be powered on.

What I'm hoping to achieve is to pull the NAS out of hibernation by attempting to connect to its drive when windows boots.

The NAS is powered on and the option is set for the drive to reconnect at logon, but the message appears if the NAS is on (but drives are hibernating) when windows boots.

If another PC on the network has already woken the drives from hibernation then the message doesn't appear when the next PC starts.

Soldato
What I'm hoping to achieve is to pull the NAS out of hibernation by attempting to connect to its drive when windows boots.

The NAS is powered on and the option is set for the drive to reconnect at logon, but the message appears if the NAS is on (but drives are hibernating) when windows boots.

If another PC on the network has already woken the drives from hibernation then the message doesn't appear when the next PC starts.

I don't think hibernation is that clever unfortunately. - Although i'd be interested if someone has managed to get something similar working.

Ideally NAS's should be left running all the time, so you're trying to work around a solution that most people won't have. Any particular reason not to have it running 24/7?

Soldato
Not being funny, but what if you just disable the message?

If the drive has awoken and ready to use when someone clicks into the mapped drive, what is the problem?

I have the exact same thing on my network with a WD drive but I don't see it as an issue, admittedly, for some reason I don't get the message pop up. But if I click into my computer when the drive is hibernating it shows a red cross by it, as soon as I click into it to access the drive there is maybe a 3 second delay, the drive wakes up and everything is accessible from that point forward.

Soldato
I don't think hibernation is that clever unfortunately. - Although i'd be interested if someone has managed to get something similar working.

Ideally NAS's should be left running all the time, so you're trying to work around a solution that most people won't have. Any particular reason not to have it running 24/7?

The NAS is running 24/7, but the drives spin down when there's no activity to save energy. There's no real need to have them spinning at all hours when the NAS isn't being accessed.

Soldato
The NAS is running 24/7, but the drives spin down when there's no activity to save energy. There's no real need to have them spinning at all hours when the NAS isn't being accessed.

Did you mean to say "My NAS is running 24/7..."

When you're saying "The NAS..." i'm not sure if you're referring to the OP's or your own. If the OP's then hibernating the NAS is not the same as running 24/7? And yes the OS should idle the drives if there's no activity.

Soldato
Did you mean to say "My NAS is running 24/7..."

When you're saying "The NAS..." i'm not sure if you're referring to the OP's or your own. If the OP's then hibernating the NAS is not the same as running 24/7? And yes the OS should idle the drives if there's no activity.

I'm referring to the OP's, because that's how Synology units usually work in my experience. Hibernation is just what it's called when the disks spin down.

Soldato
You can create a batch file that runs on startup that will open and then close an explorer window for each mapped connection. This ensures the drives are available and ensures the error message doesn’t occur. I do that myself but I wrote the file so long ago that I can’t remember how it goes! It’s not complicated though and I’m sure a quick Google will pull something up.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone, I've gone for the simple option of just turning the windows notification off with a quick registry edit:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • SYSTEM
  • CurrentControlSet
  • Control
  • NetworkProvider
  1. New” > “DWORD Value“.
  2. “RestoreConnection” value “0”

Caporegime
I run a Synology NAS that is left on 24/7 and never tun into this problem and all my network drives connect with every start up. I used Synology Assistant to map them.

Associate
OP
I run a Synology NAS that is left on 24/7 and never tun into this problem and all my network drives connect with every start up. I used Synology Assistant to map them.

Have you set your drives to hibernate after a certain time using the power settings in the synology control panel?

Back
Top Bottom