1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

synology nas question

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by hornetstinger, May 10, 2019.

1. hornetstinger

Soldato

Just bought ds418. I have a 3tb, 2tb and 2tb drive.

Once these are installed can I add another hd without disrupting the data on the other drives, and when I add a 10tb just slot it in format it then move files from the two 2tb onto the 10tb then remove them?

Is the os stored on one of the hd? If so removing hd will bigger it? I'll use the 3tb for music storage.

I'll be use individual drive layout.

What if I install the 3tb first then setup the Nas install firmware the os is installed to that and then add the two 2tb?

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. Silent Bob

Wise Guy

I believe the nas creates a small raid1 array for the os across whatever disks you install. You can then add and remove disks and it'll re-configure itself without having to re-install the os.

3. hornetstinger

Soldato

I have a 64gb ssd I no longer use would there be any benefit of using this in the Nas? Pity can't set which drive os and apps are installed.

There's something in install setup about SHR.

4. Silent Bob

Wise Guy

5. bledd

Don

My advice..

Just buy 4x drives the same size that are big enough so you'll never want to 'upgrade' them. Either get WD Red drives or Seagate Ironwolf.

Either set them to RAID5 or RAID10. Single drives is madness in a NAS.

4x4TB drives, RAID5 = 12TB usable
    4x4TB drives, RAID10 = 8TB usable