System builds

Associate
OP
Sounds like sensible advice. :)

Not sure about going back to NVidia though :confused: I'd probably go for the "Goes Like Hell Edition 512MB" :D

What's the PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-058-PC) like?

Ok, we're heading towards a sensible workaround. Will 2x 1Gb sticks make any diffy? I've heard on other forums that more than 1Gb is wasted... :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
I used to have a very similar spec to your own albeit with an asrock mobo and a 3200. I got my spec below with Antec Sonata II Piano Black case and 450w psu, and optical keyboard and mouse malarky for around 850 from here, dual core opteron - overclock meaning i have some 'future proofing' in it and can multitask brilliantly, and the graphics card copes with all games on my 17"tft easily. As 2gb of memory goes, it works perfectly with the dual core - even more multitasking! :D and as 1gb is now the 'recommended' 2gb will last you for a bit longer. If your not into overclocking then go for an x2 4400, and if you want more power graphically go for an x1900xt any brand will do. Your psu will more than likely not be compatible as it might not be atx2.0 compliant (pci-e standard) but anywhere from 450w up will do fine for a dual core system

Associate
OP
Thanks but I'm staying with the NF7-2S board for now (even with its limitations).

So, decisions decisions:

Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 or NVidia 6800GS 'Goes Like Hell' 512Mb card

and

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2

Suited and booted. Any nay-sayers to the above? :)
(Hands on credit card!... ;))

Back
Top Bottom