• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

System freezes sometimes when loading 3DMark when using RX Vega 64

I had problems with every driver apart from 17.11.1. Either crashes in certain games or not been able to run games at all. I thought maybe the issue was that the 17.11.1 were WHQL while the other 17.11 drivers were not. So when 17.12.1 drivers came out I was hoping they would solve my problems. They solved a few of the crashes, but, 3D mark kept hard locking my PC(even without running any benchmark) and Superposition score was down 800 points. And Performance in several games had also dropped, most noticeably in VR games. I had to change Robo Recall to low settings and turn off all super sampling to get it running. So I went back to 17.11.1s and everything worked perfectly again.

But, today, I was bored and said I would give the 17.12.2 drivers a go. First I booted into safe mode and ran the AMD clean utility. Then I ran DDU and rebooted.
Then I downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers. Rebooted again and then installed the 17.12.2 drivers and another reboot.

Ran superposition and, damn, same performance drop. Was going to just go back to 17.11.1 but I said I would run 3d mark, since I would be rebooting anyway. And, it worked perfectly, no hard locks. Then I tried some VR games and the performance was fine.

So, not sure what to say now!! Have you RMA'd your cards already? Maybe it might be worthwhile trying 17.12.2 on a clean install?
Hi melmac,

No, I have not sent them in yet, I have found that staying away from wattman has helped me quite a bit, did a clean install with 17.11.4 and have not gone into the menu whatsoever and it has been rock solid for my games, 3dmark is still doing the same though so I just don't even try to use it.
17.12.1 was giving me issues with stuttering and freesync, I have not tried 17.12.2 just in case.

The downside of not using wattman is that my cards are running hot, 96c on the hot spot and around 86 on the hbm, but since Amd has the cards locked down I guess if there is any kind of fault whatsoever they will just have to give me a new one.

I was having so many issues that I almost went and got a 1080 ti but thankfully reinstalling without doing anything in wattman has helped a lot.

I might give that driver a spin, I don't really care about benchmark scores at this point, just fewer crashes would be nice.

Hi melmac,

No, I have not sent them in yet, I have found that staying away from wattman has helped me quite a bit, did a clean install with 17.11.4 and have not gone into the menu whatsoever and it has been rock solid for my games, 3dmark is still doing the same though so I just don't even try to use it.
17.12.1 was giving me issues with stuttering and freesync, I have not tried 17.12.2 just in case.

The downside of not using wattman is that my cards are running hot, 96c on the hot spot and around 86 on the hbm, but since Amd has the cards locked down I guess if there is any kind of fault whatsoever they will just have to give me a new one.

I was having so many issues that I almost went and got a 1080 ti but thankfully reinstalling without doing anything in wattman has helped a lot.

I might give that driver a spin, I don't really care about benchmark scores at this point, just fewer crashes would be nice.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. You get something working and don't want to chance doing anything in case it breaks!! I was just posting my results as I fully expected 17.12.2 to be more of the same, and had kinda resigned myself to doing an RMA in the new year. But, in my case at least, it seems to be just drivers and not actually a hardware problem.

The thing is, if you are having problems no matter what driver you use, then it might be a faulty card. You have two cards as well, which makes it even more problematic. I presume you have tried with just one card installed?

Yeah, I understand what you mean. You get something working and don't want to chance doing anything in case it breaks!! I was just posting my results as I fully expected 17.12.2 to be more of the same, and had kinda resigned myself to doing an RMA in the new year. But, in my case at least, it seems to be just drivers and not actually a hardware problem.

The thing is, if you are having problems no matter what driver you use, then it might be a faulty card. You have two cards as well, which makes it even more problematic. I presume you have tried with just one card installed?

Yea, exactly.

Sending them in for Rma is gonna cost me a bit since I do live in Mexico, bought them through newegg so I will need to ship them and most likely pay both ways so that option will be my last resort.

I am only using one card, the second is in its box, I actually only got 2 for benchmarking and to see how well they scaled since one is perfectly capable for 1080p 75hz widescreen at ultra settings.

Hi everyone!

Currently have a "suspicious" RX Vega 64 AC in my system which sometimes causes freezes with 3DMark. Unigine Superposition does not seem to cause any issues. Very curious if others have similar issues with their RX Vega.

Computer Type: Custom build GPU: Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Aircooled 8GB HBM2
CPU: Intel i5 4690
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
RAM: 2x Crucial 4GB DDR3-1600Mhz
PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 650W Gold Certified
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 64-bit
GPU Drivers: Radeon 17.9.1 & 17.8.2 Crimson
Description of Original Problem: System freezes sometimes when loading 3DMark when using RX Vega 64

Steps to reproduce:
  • Install 3DMark Advanced Edition & RX Vega on Windows 10
  • Repeat the following 10 times:
  • Open 3DMark Advanced (Home tab with the Timespy background should be loaded)
  • While it is loading, move the mouse frantically over the 3DMark window
  • System should freeze
Atleast once every 10 times this issue occurs.

Troubleshooting:
  • Undervolt & lower core clocks. Does not seem to help as this issue happens when idle.
  • Take out RX Vega and use integrated graphics seems to resolve the issue (even with AMD Crimson installed)
  • Turn off iGPU
  • Reinstall Windows 10.

I would appreciate any reports of reproducibility immensely!
This has been happening to me recently too with my liquid cooled Vega 64. The first time it happened was on drivers 17.11.2. It also happened with 17.12.1.

This has been happening to me recently too with my liquid cooled Vega 64. The first time it happened was on drivers 17.11.2. It also happened with 17.12.1.

Welcome to the club =(.

2 cards, both faulty, one has barely any use whatsoever while the other one has been chugging along for two months until I decided to update drivers. If this is the case, it means that Amd has broke them with their drivers.

Welcome to the club =(.

2 cards, both faulty, one has barely any use whatsoever while the other one has been chugging along for two months until I decided to update drivers. If this is the case, it means that Amd has broke them with their drivers.
Yeah my instinct tells me it's not an issue with the cards, more likely to be something between 3D Mark and the drivers not playing nicely together...

Well, 3 days and not a single crash. I have not tried 3d mark at all but it seems that not enabling wattman has ridden me of my troubles, I am forced however to use msi afterburner so I can set a manual fan profile ans turn down the power limit ( 80% at 60c and 90% power limit ). While it can get quite noisy I really do not care. Hopefully this is an issue that more people will run into that will make amd aware of the problem so we can get a fix.

Merry Xmas btw!

Well, 3 days and not a single crash. I have not tried 3d mark at all but it seems that not enabling wattman has ridden me of my troubles, I am forced however to use msi afterburner so I can set a manual fan profile ans turn down the power limit ( 80% at 60c and 90% power limit ). While it can get quite noisy I really do not care. Hopefully this is an issue that more people will run into that will make amd aware of the problem so we can get a fix.

Merry Xmas btw!

Same to you. At least you found some kind of solution that works.

My crashes had nothing to do with Wattman. As my first trouble shooting steps usually involves turning off all monitoring software. But, the 12.2 drivers have been pretty stable for me. So I am happy too :)

Back
Top Bottom