T2 : Trainspotting

Trainspotting (1996) was one of the most iconic films of the 1990s. Never seen it myself but I loved the soundtrack with Blur, Pulp, Underworld, Leftfield and so on. There was a lot of hype around its release, but posters of the "choose life" script would remain a staple in student bedrooms into the early 2000s. It certainly lived up to the hype.

T2 Trainspotting is the sequel due for release on 29th Jan. Is it just me, or does it feel as though that it isn't getting the same amount of love as the original? E.g. I only saw the first billboard advert today for this. I'm still fairly into my music and yet I've not heard any hints yet of the soundtrack either.

Is it going to tank? Is 20 years a little too little late? Wrong time of the year for a release? (Winter vs Summer). Hope it does well though. It's got Ewan McGregor in it again.

Caporegime
Never seen it? Why?

It will do well at the box office, without a doubt. It was always planned to be much later, so the characters had aged appropriately etc.

Soldato
I agree about it not getting much buzz. It feels more like one of those films that needs to be done due to contractual obligations and gets pushed out on the quiet. It's got all the right ingredients though so hopefully it's a good film.

Caporegime
Trainspotting (1996) was one of the most iconic films of the 1990s. Never seen it myself but I loved the soundtrack with Blur, Pulp, Underworld, Leftfield and so on. There was a lot of hype around its release, but posters of the "choose life" script would remain a staple in student bedrooms into the early 2000s. It certainly lived up to the hype.

T2 Trainspotting is the sequel due for release on 29th Jan. Is it just me, or does it feel as though that it isn't getting the same amount of love as the original? E.g. I only saw the first billboard advert today for this. I'm still fairly into my music and yet I've not heard any hints yet of the soundtrack either.

Is it going to tank? Is 20 years a little too little late? Wrong time of the year for a release? (Winter vs Summer). Hope it does well though. It's got Ewan McGregor in it again.

It is a classic cult film. You should watch it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I agree I should watch it really. It probably won't be my cup of tea, but I appreciate that it's a 90s classic and I hope the sequel does well despite the lack of hype.

What I really liked about Trainspotting though was the soundtrack, and I hope that the sequel gets similar love on the music front.

Associate
You need to watch it and here's the new sound track

1. Iggy Pop – ‘Lust for Life’ (The Prodigy Remix)
2. High Contrast – ‘Shotgun Mouthwash’
3. Wolf Alice – ‘Silk’
4. Young Fathers – ‘Get Up’
5. Frankie Goes to Hollywood – ‘Relax’
6. Underworld /Ewen Bremner – ‘Eventually But (Spud’s Letter to Gail)’
7. Young Fathers – ‘Only God Knows’
8. The Rubberbandits – ‘Dad’s Best Friend’
9. Blondie – ‘Dreaming’
10. Queen – ‘Radio Ga Ga’
11. Run D.M.C. vs. Jason Nevis – ‘It’s Like That’
12. The Clash – ‘(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais’
13. Young Fathers – ‘Rain or Shine’
14. Fat White Family – ‘Whitest Boy on the Beach’
15. Underworld – ‘Slow Slippy’

Soldato
T1 suited the era and the place, was Edinburgh not slated as the herion capital of Europe in the 80's, so it was real and relevant, it's certainly not anymore, so I struggle to see how people are really going to relate to another down and dirty gritty drug addled movie.

Caporegime
T1 suited the era and the place, was Edinburgh not slated as the herion capital of Europe in the 80's, so it was real and relevant, it's certainly not anymore, so I struggle to see how people are really going to relate to another down and dirty gritty drug addled movie.

this nailed it really.the time trainspotting came out everything was relevant happening as in the film. now hopefully they dont try and do the same its nothing alike and just smells to me of a cashin.

first film was great.music suited it perfectly.personally should have left it alone.

Soldato
Danny Boyle hasn't made any real stinkers and is a director that can choose what he wants to do so I have some faith it will be good

Caporegime
this nailed it really.the time trainspotting came out everything was relevant happening as in the film. now hopefully they dont try and do the same its nothing alike and just smells to me of a cashin.

first film was great.music suited it perfectly.personally should have left it alone.

A cash in? Boyle isn't short of a bob or two, and I doubt any of the stars are. They've also waited 20 years, which seems a bit remiss if they were hoping to simply cling on to the coat tails of the first film. Boyle has also been talking of making the film since 2009, assuming he could get a decent script and get the cast back together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom