*** Tado Mini Review ***

Associate
MoodySide.jpg~original

Not wanting to hijack the NEST thread, thought I would start a new one specifically for the TADO.

This will cover my initial thoughts and feelings, plus un-boxing, installation and then after a while how both the unit and app are performing.

After much reading and also lots of umming and ahhing, decided to go for the TADO option. Main reason was that I could choose the rental option and get the unit at a reduced price and if i find it is not for me / not as good as described, then I can get refund on the unused rental payments.

Was ordered from Germany on 29 Mar 14 and took delivery of this yesterday (07 Apr 14). Very speedy delivery via DHL.

Nothing too flashy about the packaging of the outerbox really.

OuterBox.jpg~original

Inner box is quite similar, but can't but hlep notice the rather large 'Beta' label on it too

InnerBox.jpg~original

Beta.jpg~original

Inside of box showing well packaged item and accessories

OpenInner.jpg~original

Connect box removed to reveal the Thermostat

Thermostat.jpg~original

and the obligatory arty pics of the tado box and tado gateway

MoodyTado.jpg~original

MoodyController.jpg~original

Once this has all been removed, you can get round to unpacking the 'Welcome Home' box which contains a card carrying initial login details and password, USB power adaptors, USB power cables, various packets with screws and raw plugs, sticky pads, ethernet link, labels, 2 random brackets and the best bit, a free insulated terminal driver :D

There are also a few other items in there which do not appear to serve any purpose in my installation. Whether these are used in other scenarios and installations, I am not sure, but they may cause some confusion with people thinking 'well they have put them in the box so they must have a use for something...'

AllOut.jpg~original

One of said brackets

Bracket.jpg~original

and another (along with free screwdriver)

Screwdriver.jpg~original

Having not seen any installation instructions yet, either in the box or on the website, was feeling a bit apprehensive, but not overly so.

Using the supplied card, went to the tado website and put in supplied login details.

Initially you are asked to then plug in the tado gateway. For me, this is plugged directly into the router and power is taken via a USB port on the router itself. Power can be run from one of the supplied adaptors, but will need a dedicated outlet for it. Am sure you can also connect the gateway into a switch if you do not have any spare ports on the modem or if the modem is not that accessible.

Once the gateway has connected to the tado servers, which is indicated by a very satisfying and reassuring green box with a tick in it, you head to the next stage of the installation. This is a step by step process.

The first part is verifying what your current boiler/thermostat/controller set up is, so that you can follow the correct steps. Apologies but did not take any screen grabs of the set up, 1 because I completely forgot and 2 I am not sure about any copyright on the pages, so best not cause gnaws there.

The steps are very easy to follow and you can always go back through them in case you missed something or want something clarifying.

Once you have completed the stage for identifying you make and model again, you are then into the weeds of swapping out the units.

First stage, after removing power to the boiler, is to take a picture of your current wiring on the thermostat controller. For me this was in the boiler cupboard as I was fitted with a wireless thermostat. Once you have identified the cabling, you are then instructed to use the supplied labels to mark cables.

The next stage is to remove the old backplate and wiring and then fit the tado box. This stage is fully illustrated and you are directed to place the wires you have just labelled into the corresponding terminals on the tado box back plate. These are accessed by removing the backplate that is fitted onto the tado box. You also get options on how to mount this to the wall, either patress box mounted or direct mounted onto the wall. All the required screws and plugs are included, but not the drill bits if needed.

Once wired in, you then replace the backplate onto the box and connect the tado box to a micro USB cable running from a socket nearby. I was fortunate here as the boiler was running from a 13A socket in the cupboard, so was able to use this with a 2 gang adaptor, but be warned, you need a dedicated supply for the tado box to work.

The tado box will now connect to the gateway and subsequently the tado server. Like before, you will be presented with a nice green box and tick when this has happened.

OPnce this is connected and running, it is time to fit the thermostat in your chosen position. Unlike the Honywell EVOHOME mentioned in other threads, there is only one central temperature monitoring point for this. For me, I have placed it in my living room as this is the largest room in the house and also the most used room. As with the gateway and tado box, this connects through and shows as such in the same way as the others. This happens fairly quickly as it was done in the time it took me to remove the cover, stroll downstairs, stick it to the wall and then head back on up to computer.

Once this is done, you are then into the realms of actually configuring the system and letting it run.

Initially I was greeted with an update which happened automatically and was told that it would take approximately 25 mins and not to unplug or disconnect in that time. What was updated, I am unaware of, but it is reassuring to know that as and when tado push out update, it will happen automatically and there is no intervention needed.

At present I am using the web app and also have it downloaded onto my Note2.

Have to say that I am impressed with it so far.

Set up was a breeze. This may be because I am a comms engineer and used to carrying out installations and modding stuff, but reckon a competent DIY'er could carry it out without anything to worry about. The webapp is very simply presented, which is a good thing as you do not need the clutter there. Very easy to set timer schedules, home temperature and alter the other settings in there. Have not fully investigated the mobile app as of yet, but this appears to be very similar in design and layout to the web app, so am expecting my views to be the same.

One point to remember is that for the system to work as planned and alter temperatures as and when you leave home and come back, you will need to enable location services on any mobile devices that are install with the app. This can be installed on multiple devices too, so that if you all leave, temperature goes down and if one person comes back without the others for any reason, the system will detect that and adjust the temperature accordingly

So...in a brief summary

Pros

1. Very well designed and built (hey it is German)
2. Easy to follow instructions for install
3. Clutter free apps
4. Easy to configure and tailor to own needs
5. Multiple users can be 'tracked' (not in NSA/GCHQ way)

Cons

1. Dedicated supply needed near boiler for tado box
2. Single point for temperature measuring(can be changed between solar thermostat or tado box though)
3. Extra items in box that appear to not be needed so may cause confusion

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, they will check that all is OK with your system and then you get another email to say 'Yay or Nay'.

All the units come paired to each other so it is as simple as unboxing, plugging in and following the instructions (he says not yet having carried out that part of the install yet...hehe)

Associate
OP
You couldn't do me a favour and take a picture of the wiring inside the Tado box could you?

I too have a wireless thermostat, with the receiver mounted next to the boiler. This has power going into it from the consumer unit, and a cable going out to the board on the boiler, was yours similar?

Have the pic that I took on my phone of the old wiring so will upload it later and also grab a picture of the control box inside too. Trust me a message and will email it in the interim mate.

Yeah, was very simple to wire in. Mine, as mentioned, was wired into a plug, so was the three wires for that (LNE) that went to the old backplate. This then had 3 wires for the boiler mains looped out directly from the plug input and two wires that came down from the boiler for thermostat / controller input. Did not touch the mains side of things, only the controller wires.

After 1st evening with it am more impressed than yesterday when I posted up. Heating has been very evenly controlled and have noticed a difference in the heating of the house. This will primarily be because I moved the thermostat from the hall to the living room and also slightly increased the boiler heating temperature, but it maintains the temperature better than old system.

Also had to increase the 'Home' temperature setting last night as Mrs S was feeling a bit cold, quick flash up of the app and bingo. Also just changed the system into Manual Mode from my work as Mrs S is at home this monring and have not had chance to load the app on her phone so she can be followed and control the Away / Home function. One click and heating back on. Only issue I have with this at work is that while the page loads ok, I cannot see any of the icons across the top of the page. Have a feeling this is more to do with my hobbled work computer that with the actual web page though.

Associate
OP
Great news Wonder, you should have it fairly soon.

Yeah, looks like your install will be relatively easy too with a hard wired thermostat. You should have a nice tidy tado box in place of your current thermostat then.

Wil be good to see how yours pans out too, will cover more install ooptions and give people more info to go on.

Teh actual tado box can act as a controller for the temperature too. Only problem is you have to decide whether you want to use the solar powered thermo doohickery or the tado box, can't have both controlling. Both are hyper accurate though, so should make no difference. Suppose in your case you can have the box in the living room and the thermostat in another (say bedroom) and then change between them as you see fit.

Anyway, good luck with the install and you will not regret changing to it.....despite teh short time I have had with it I am more than happy and not going back

Associate
OP
Thanks for sharing Shelster, am very tempted myself. Have a question though, I know it turns on/off depending on location services from your phones but does it also have a day timer/schedule?

I.E. set Tado to only heat the home from 6-8am and then from 5:30-11:00pm but if you are not home then it won't turn on until someone is? My worry is that if someone left their phone at home then it would just keep the heating running all day as it thinks there is someone home.

Yes, you can set schedules for having the heating on and off, as per a standard thermostat. If you are away, then it will not turn on the heating. The following is taken from teh FAQ's on the website and covers going on holiday, but guess it covers the same sort of thing

...What happens when I'm on holiday?
When you go on holiday there are two ways of operating tado°. This depends on whether you have the data connection on your smartphone turned on or off. If you continue to use your data connection, tado° will simply function as normal. You do not need to change any settings. tado° recognises that you are far from home and sets the heating system to a reduced temperature. As soon as you return from holiday, tado° will heat up to your home temperature in time for your arrival. If you prefer to turn off your data connection while you are on holiday, you should change a simple setting in your app: before turning off your data connection, switch your tado° app to Manual mode and enter your desired reduced temperature (tado° recommends a reduced temperature of 15°C). Although tado° has no connection to your mobile phone while you are on holiday, the system will remain on manual mode and stick to the temperature you have set. As soon as you turn your data connection back on after your holiday, you should deactivate Manual mode in the tado° app and tado° will automatically resume its usual functions.

As for leaving phone at home, then am guessing if that phone has the app installed then the system will think they are at home and you will have the heating on at Home level. Only way around this would be to web app or phone app in and then set it to manual, reduce the temperature and then when you get back, put it into automatic location controlled.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As promised, some pictures of the internals.

The first one shows the two wires connected onto the new backplate for the Tado Box

Backplate2.jpg~original

Second one shows the actual insides of the box.

BoxInternal.jpg~original

The Username and password in that picture are the original ones that come with the kit and what you use for first login. As with all supplied info like that, recommend changing that through the settings option in the web app

Associate
OP
Slight update on my set up.

So far...so good.

Is controlling the heating very well for my liking and the app is saying that I am making savings, though that will have to be seen on bills and all.

Following picture is a week overview of what Tado has been doing..

WeekTado.jpg~original

Has been a few manual interventions to adjust heating up or down, but this has been led by the fact we have had visitors round, so had to adjust for their likings and also to compensate for the increased heat that extra bodies bring.

Am looking forward to moving the setup to my new house when it is finally built, as is supposed to have an A rating for thermal efficiency so with Tado running things, should keep my heating bills nice and low

Associate
OP
I went with rental and had to end early as moved house and was not sure if the system was compatible with new boiler.

Get a refund from them for the unused months too, which was nice.

Turns out that Tado is compatible with my new system, but as it is split thermostats (one upstairs one downstairs) I have to decide on which one to replace. Will be going back to the rental side so that I can see how it goes in teh 1st year and then look at purchasing when that is up and have some stats to hit the Mrs with. Will be the downstairs one that I replace btw.

I did ask them if there was any plans for dual thermostats and was told it was coming in late 2015 as part of Tado 2, so that is one of the other main reasons I wil be going for the renatl too....rent unti the dual comes out then return it for that and get refund on unused portion.

Associate
OP
The extension kit takes the place of the wireless receiver.

It was like this with the beta version I had as that had a wireless thermostat with it. You whip out the receiver and then wire in the extender.....seemples

Associate
OP
I spoke online to one of their reps yesterday and had good news that they are releasing a dual zone system in October. Will be getting one of them when they are released

From what was said it appears that the dual zone functionality will cone via an update to the software so existing users who gave a dual zone heating setup but are only running with one Tado thermostat will be able to add another thermostat to their system

I offered my services to beta test the system and the nice lady said she would keep me in mind. Linked her to this thread too......result if they go for it but will be getting it any how

No news on pricing options as yet but feel I will stump up and buy it out right this time as only went for the rental as was renting in previous house

Associate
OP
Am going to be getting this again next month. The reduced rental offer has been rolled over for another month again, so will take that option. Was contemplating purchasing, but is easier to justify the £60 to Top Level Budget Holder. Plus, will be 1st month of heatin gbeing on too, so increased gas bill and can trade it off a saving.

Won't be getting the dual thermostat yet as that appears to have slipped right yet again by another month.

Was wondering if there was any difference between them and going and ordering two of them.....but will hold off for now.

Associate
OP
Looking at my situation now.....can get away with single control unit. Turns out the second thermostat and zone aren't got the entire upstairs as I thought. The zones are Master bedroom and Rest of House.....really worth putting the manifold in there.

As I kind of know when I will be going to bed can live with set timer there

Associate
OP
All ordered yesterday and is now winging it's way to me. Hopefully it may be here by the weekend, but more than likely will be here by next week.

Have just sent a query to CS as I already have an account from when I had the orignal one, and was wondering if this needs to be deleted so that I can then get the walkthrough for installation. When I logged in was told tado is now connected to the internet (that may the be rather large airgap at present....) and there were no other options.

Hopefully they will sort it out.

May do a revisit on my original review for this one too.....keep things up to date and all

Associate
OP
Think I may have answered my own question by reading my initial post.......hoping that when I connect the gateway up, will then get the guidance for thermostat installation.......oh how the memory fades. But ot be fair I have slept and drank a fair bit since I first installed it...brain fade

Associate
OP
Well...tado have deleted my old account, so will go through setup as a new customer now.

DHL tracking showing it as received at German depot and now waiting to be exported. Reckon I will be looking at tuesday or wednesday next week for it now

Back
Top Bottom