*** Tado Mini Review ***

Associate
MoodySide.jpg~original

Not wanting to hijack the NEST thread, thought I would start a new one specifically for the TADO.

This will cover my initial thoughts and feelings, plus un-boxing, installation and then after a while how both the unit and app are performing.

After much reading and also lots of umming and ahhing, decided to go for the TADO option. Main reason was that I could choose the rental option and get the unit at a reduced price and if i find it is not for me / not as good as described, then I can get refund on the unused rental payments.

Was ordered from Germany on 29 Mar 14 and took delivery of this yesterday (07 Apr 14). Very speedy delivery via DHL.

Nothing too flashy about the packaging of the outerbox really.

OuterBox.jpg~original

Inner box is quite similar, but can't but hlep notice the rather large 'Beta' label on it too

InnerBox.jpg~original

Beta.jpg~original

Inside of box showing well packaged item and accessories

OpenInner.jpg~original

Connect box removed to reveal the Thermostat

Thermostat.jpg~original

and the obligatory arty pics of the tado box and tado gateway

MoodyTado.jpg~original

MoodyController.jpg~original

Once this has all been removed, you can get round to unpacking the 'Welcome Home' box which contains a card carrying initial login details and password, USB power adaptors, USB power cables, various packets with screws and raw plugs, sticky pads, ethernet link, labels, 2 random brackets and the best bit, a free insulated terminal driver :D

There are also a few other items in there which do not appear to serve any purpose in my installation. Whether these are used in other scenarios and installations, I am not sure, but they may cause some confusion with people thinking 'well they have put them in the box so they must have a use for something...'

AllOut.jpg~original

One of said brackets

Bracket.jpg~original

and another (along with free screwdriver)

Screwdriver.jpg~original

Having not seen any installation instructions yet, either in the box or on the website, was feeling a bit apprehensive, but not overly so.

Using the supplied card, went to the tado website and put in supplied login details.

Initially you are asked to then plug in the tado gateway. For me, this is plugged directly into the router and power is taken via a USB port on the router itself. Power can be run from one of the supplied adaptors, but will need a dedicated outlet for it. Am sure you can also connect the gateway into a switch if you do not have any spare ports on the modem or if the modem is not that accessible.

Once the gateway has connected to the tado servers, which is indicated by a very satisfying and reassuring green box with a tick in it, you head to the next stage of the installation. This is a step by step process.

The first part is verifying what your current boiler/thermostat/controller set up is, so that you can follow the correct steps. Apologies but did not take any screen grabs of the set up, 1 because I completely forgot and 2 I am not sure about any copyright on the pages, so best not cause gnaws there.

The steps are very easy to follow and you can always go back through them in case you missed something or want something clarifying.

Once you have completed the stage for identifying you make and model again, you are then into the weeds of swapping out the units.

First stage, after removing power to the boiler, is to take a picture of your current wiring on the thermostat controller. For me this was in the boiler cupboard as I was fitted with a wireless thermostat. Once you have identified the cabling, you are then instructed to use the supplied labels to mark cables.

The next stage is to remove the old backplate and wiring and then fit the tado box. This stage is fully illustrated and you are directed to place the wires you have just labelled into the corresponding terminals on the tado box back plate. These are accessed by removing the backplate that is fitted onto the tado box. You also get options on how to mount this to the wall, either patress box mounted or direct mounted onto the wall. All the required screws and plugs are included, but not the drill bits if needed.

Once wired in, you then replace the backplate onto the box and connect the tado box to a micro USB cable running from a socket nearby. I was fortunate here as the boiler was running from a 13A socket in the cupboard, so was able to use this with a 2 gang adaptor, but be warned, you need a dedicated supply for the tado box to work.

The tado box will now connect to the gateway and subsequently the tado server. Like before, you will be presented with a nice green box and tick when this has happened.

OPnce this is connected and running, it is time to fit the thermostat in your chosen position. Unlike the Honywell EVOHOME mentioned in other threads, there is only one central temperature monitoring point for this. For me, I have placed it in my living room as this is the largest room in the house and also the most used room. As with the gateway and tado box, this connects through and shows as such in the same way as the others. This happens fairly quickly as it was done in the time it took me to remove the cover, stroll downstairs, stick it to the wall and then head back on up to computer.

Once this is done, you are then into the realms of actually configuring the system and letting it run.

Initially I was greeted with an update which happened automatically and was told that it would take approximately 25 mins and not to unplug or disconnect in that time. What was updated, I am unaware of, but it is reassuring to know that as and when tado push out update, it will happen automatically and there is no intervention needed.

At present I am using the web app and also have it downloaded onto my Note2.

Have to say that I am impressed with it so far.

Set up was a breeze. This may be because I am a comms engineer and used to carrying out installations and modding stuff, but reckon a competent DIY'er could carry it out without anything to worry about. The webapp is very simply presented, which is a good thing as you do not need the clutter there. Very easy to set timer schedules, home temperature and alter the other settings in there. Have not fully investigated the mobile app as of yet, but this appears to be very similar in design and layout to the web app, so am expecting my views to be the same.

One point to remember is that for the system to work as planned and alter temperatures as and when you leave home and come back, you will need to enable location services on any mobile devices that are install with the app. This can be installed on multiple devices too, so that if you all leave, temperature goes down and if one person comes back without the others for any reason, the system will detect that and adjust the temperature accordingly

So...in a brief summary

Pros

1. Very well designed and built (hey it is German)
2. Easy to follow instructions for install
3. Clutter free apps
4. Easy to configure and tailor to own needs
5. Multiple users can be 'tracked' (not in NSA/GCHQ way)

Cons

1. Dedicated supply needed near boiler for tado box
2. Single point for temperature measuring(can be changed between solar thermostat or tado box though)
3. Extra items in box that appear to not be needed so may cause confusion

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just about to order one today too.

This technology seems like it's really coming on leaps and bounds so I'm taking the rental option so I could chop it in in 6 months time if a new model comes out!

Did you get the 10% off? Looks like Quidco are doing 5% cash back too although that might just be for the lifetime purchase option.

Soldato
Have just completed the order with the 10% off. Quidco isn't showing any activity yet so if I do get cashback as well I'll be a happy bunny.

When you complete the order it takes you through a wizard to "spec" your current central heating system. It was a very simple wizard and it had all of my components listed!

Roll on delivery now!

Associate
OP
Yeah, they will check that all is OK with your system and then you get another email to say 'Yay or Nay'.

All the units come paired to each other so it is as simple as unboxing, plugging in and following the instructions (he says not yet having carried out that part of the install yet...hehe)

Associate
Looking forward to review.

Thinking about renting as well, but with the wife being at home all day just now with the baby I doubt I would see much savings (or if the money saving grantee would cover me)

Soldato
The same way TADO does. Through the app on your phone....The same way NEST see's the outside weather and, if it's sunny, it knows to heat fully and to let the sun do some of the heating. That was the selling point, certainly of the US version.

Soldato
The same way TADO does. Through the app on your phone....The same way NEST see's the outside weather and, if it's sunny, it knows to heat fully and to let the sun do some of the heating. That was the selling point, certainly of the US version.

Hmm that doesn't sound like what their website claims - http://support.nest.com/article/What-is-Auto-Away

It senses movement past the termostat. It therefore isn't nearly as intelligent in working out who is in and who is out (and more importantly where they are) to maintain the best temperature.

Soldato
woah! thanks for posting I'm looking forward to reading your results. Moving into a house which I think has a 'baxi main 30' combi boiler soon so I'm considering something like this, depending on compatibility which I'm not certain about yet.

Can you buy yourself out of the rental if it's something you're going to keep for more than 3 years? (without sending it back and buying a new one)

Back
Top Bottom