Taekwondo

Soldato
You can use either name for it.

Not unless she's floating on water in the Excel Arena, she's holding a Union Flag.

Anyway, going to miss Mo's fight as I'll be in a meeting but I'm caught in a dilemma here - On the one hand, I want Team GB to get more medals, especially in TaeKwonDo, but on the other hand, I want Mo to fail because of GB TKD's petty politics when it came to choosing Mo over Arron (Currently ranked world no.1)

Not fair on Mo... :(

Soldato
Not unless she's floating on water in the Excel Arena, she's holding a Union Flag.

Sorry you are wrong. The 'It's only a Union Jack if it's flying from a jack staff' myth, is exactly that, a myth. The name 'Jack' was asscribed to the flag as was many other small flags flown at sea from the bowsprit mast, the Jack flag existed at least a 150 years before the Jackstaff. During it's early life it could be referred to as 'His Majesty's Jack', 'King's Jack' or 'Union Jack', over time Union Jack became the accepted official designation.
The Admiralty, since the inception of the flag in the early 17th century has referred to it as a Jack regardless of it's use. The Army during the 18th and 19th Century refer to it as the Union Jack. In the early 1900s (I think 1902 or 1903) the Admiralty stated that either name could be used regardles of it's use on land or sea and Parliament stated a few years after (??1909??)

'the Union Jack is to be regarded as the National flag'

The idea about it being a Flag on land and a Jack at sea is a completely ridiculous modern one with as much merrit as the utterly stupid idea put forward a few years ago of including black to represent multicultural Britain.

Back on topic:

Nice one Jade supurb performance there :D

Edit:
should have googled before I went off on one :o, the years were 1902 and 1908 respectively :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom