Taichi wiped my memory settings XD

Associate
So I started having some very strange problems keyboard keys would give me 4 letters from pressing one, games crashing/jumpy graphics (on xbox controller), etc. So having a look at everything I've noticed my Taichi x570 has just wiped out all my custom timings and settings by defaulting to auto xmp (3600 22 22 22 48 74) on my corsair vengeance 16gb (32gb dual channel) rgb 3600mb (don't worry I run 3200mb for my 3950x with tighter timings voltage was 1.3).

Anyone else with a similar set up who can share their timings? I really don't have the time to sit there for hours doing manual overclocks again and stability testing due to current work circumstances (people off sick with covid).

I've just manually changed it to 3200mb for now and left the rest on auto. Corrected the problems but got a performance drop currently. Red dead 2 is still not happy.

Full setup:
Ryzen 3950x overclocked to 5ghz
As Rock Taichi x570
2x 16gb 3600mb corsair vengeance rgb
Gigabyte OC Gaming 1080 TI 11gb with board modifications (will upgrade to 3080 later as was unlucky on FE, ain't paying current prices!)
Corsair HX1000I 1000w Platnium
2x EK Coolstream PE Classic 360 (rads)
Ek waterblocks EK Quantum Kinetic 300 pump res combo
Ek waterblocks Classic AM4 D-RGB plexi (cpu block)
Ek waterclocks EK Quantum Flow Indicator D-RGB
10x EK Vardar Evo 120ER 2200rpm
Phanteks P500A RGB (case)

Last edited:
Soldato
Something obviously wasn't fully stable.
Which isn't that suprising if everything is overclocked.
Even if original situation was tested enough for decent certainty of stability, any slightest wear could push it over the edge.
(real thorough testing takes like days, not hours)

Modern platforms often reset settings if things like memory isn't initializing instead of needing clearing CMOS to POST.

Though could try new "BIOS" battery in case it was weak.

Associate
OP
Ah yes. I've now ordered a new battery to see if that helps. It was running fine for over a year. About a month ago started crashing on heavy gaming sessions (5h+) just in the last few days it got unusable.

I've got it onto the 3200mhz xmp default 18 22 22 46 now instead of letting the auto give trash timings on the 3600mhz. I previously had it set to 1.3v and now its 1.35v so should I down clock the ram further? Or just use less voltage to limit the wear on the chips?

I've got the corsair Vengeance rgb Pro 3600mhz c18 E-die.

Thanks for all and any help. It's my first PC since before 2010 so still kinda new to a lot of things.

Soldato
It's usual that it wiped the custom timings yet went back to XMP as normally if memory isn't stable it goes back to the non XMP default ram settings as what happens with my brothers taichi a few times before we got it 100% stable.

Caporegime
My x570 Taichi will dump it's BIOS settings regularly. BIOS updates and power cuts in particular. It's not my favourite board ever but it's not bad enough to be worth replacing.

You probably dont have a stability issue, it's probably just the Taichi being a buggy mess. You should be able to dial back in your RAM settings you had previously.

I use DRAM calculator settings with my 2x16GB kit and it works fine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's usual that it wiped the custom timings yet went back to XMP as normally if memory isn't stable it goes back to the non XMP default ram settings as what happens with my brothers taichi a few times before we got it 100% stable.

Awesome. Most likely the Taichi then. I checked the bios and it's had an update. I will note down the timings if I do it again now I know the issue with Taichi.

Associate
OP
My x570 Taichi will dump it's BIOS settings regularly. BIOS updates and power cuts in particular. It's not my favourite board ever but it's not bad enough to be worth replacing.

You probably dont have a stability issue, it's probably just the Taichi being a buggy mess. You should be able to dial back in your RAM settings you had previously.

I use DRAM calculator settings with my 2x16GB kit and it works fine.

DRAM Calculator for Ryzen by 1usmus? I just enabled the xmp 2 profile previously then upped the voltage to 1.5v then cut the timings down, restart, benchmark, repeat until it wouldn't post, then lowered the voltage down by 0.05 a time after finding the sweet spot.

Stability tested by running Stress tests (cooling profile 100%), CPU and GPU bound benchmarks for 2 days before (between 4h and 8h tests a time) accepting it as stable. Took a long time I don't really have currently.

Soldato
About a month ago started crashing on heavy gaming sessions (5h+) just in the last few days it got unusable.
That would fit to something becoming unstable from degrading/wear over time.

I previously had it set to 1.3v and now its 1.35v so should I down clock the ram further?
1.3V for RAM would be really low.
1.35 is basically normal VDIMM for higher memory clocks.

Associate
OP
Might there also be a problem with GPU? I still get the occasional freeze and skip for about a second on Red Dead Redemption 2. Nothing major or often like once or twice an hour max. It's only on that game and none of my others.

Will it be worth me getting a 4000mhz kit when upgrading next year and dropping it down to 3200 to avoid wear and tear on the replacements or is this RAM just unlucky?

Associate
I was having odd skips and random freezes and thought it was my ram, reverted to default timings and still the same. Corsair 3200 LPX 16gb kit on an Asrock Z370 K6 Gaming, turned off XMP, and tried all sorts. Still got stutters, and it then started happening in windows just sat at the desktop. My problem was my M2 drive overheating and causing all my probs. Swapped the m2 slot and it's running cooler and hasn't locked up/ stuttered in over 4 days. Maybe it's not ram thats the issue?

Soldato
Were the settings saved into a profile and it deleted it or were they just saved in the BIOS? I normally have a opposite issue with Asrock motherboards where it will keep your profiles from one BIOS to the next which can be an issue if you are using several profiles and want to do an entire clean BIOS without any profiles.

Back
Top Bottom