Take camera to Barcelona

Soldato
Hi guys,

Has anyone taken their camera to Barcelona? I read they have the worst pick pocketing rate in Europe. Would rather just use my iPhone if taking the camera makes me a bigger risk or if it is likely to be nicked.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I have been to Barcelona a few times and yes there are pick pockets, however there are also pick pockets in London, NYC, Paris and Lisbon.
In fact Lisbon is where me & the wife actually caught a girl with her hand in the wises hand bag !

Buy some thing like a Black Rapid strap for the your camera and do not put your wallet in your back pocket. Always wear bags across your body, not just hanging off a shoulder.
Watch some youTube on pick pocket techniques and you will be amazes at how easy it is to do !

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys. Unfortunately the phone is too useful for getting around, etc. Phone is fully insured (separate) whereas I'm sure my travel insurance company would some how try to get out of paying to replace my Olympus PEN.

Soldato
All of them. Got out into a different district each day.

Try the El Raval district at night if you want an edgy experience.

Plenty of people selling samosas and beers on the streets while covering their faces with scarves. I was approached by two prostitutes, my gf was not amused.

Some good bars in that area too.

Caporegime

Plenty of people selling samosas and beers on the streets while covering their faces with scarves. I was approached by two prostitutes, my gf was not amused.

I'm sure if your GF asked they'd have accommodated her too? :D

Caporegime

We were walking in Ramblas and a prostitution came up to my friend and grabbed him at the balls then walked off saying something in Spanish or Catalan.

Soldato
The pick pocket thing in Barcelona is massively exaggerated it seems to have just snowballed on the internet like so many things do. Yes there is a problem but it's not that much worse than anywhere else and if you take basic precautions then you should be fine. Like Ray said keep people at arms length put your wallet in your front pocket and you camera across your body.

Associate
Took about 6k of gear to barcelona a couple years ago without issue.

- Always be attached to your bag, at restaurant between legs with strap wrapped round your leg, on your lap on public transport, in crowds placed on the front side of your body,
- Have a wrist strap attached to camera when using it (i use black rapids one)
- Use a discrete camera bag (I have a thinktank that looks like a book satchel)
- Have insurance, make sure its covered while abroad
- Be aware of your surroundings, I always make it apparent im watching my vicinity, they'll always pick on the weaker targets
- As above poster said, if someone approaches you just wave them away and shake your head as if you dont speak the language (even if its English)
- Don't over think things and enjoy your holiday, Barce is a beautiful city, all the gothic district (like old town) is awesome, and the hill with the museums and cable cars have great views of the city, theres tons of street art too for a street tog.

Edit: if you want to be really anal, put black electric tape over the camera brand/model, dont use a branded strap etc, these arent petty idiots, they can ID whats worth a few hundred euro and whats worth thousands, just another way of reducing the attraction.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going to sorrento soon, I know Italy is known for pick pockets. I use a Think tank bag there is no getting into that quietly, wear it over my opposite shoulder and in busy places keep it in front of me. The camera strap I tend to either also have round my neck/shoulder or wrapped around my wrist.
Wallet goes in zipped pants pocket, I always use a large wallet something that's a very tight fit into the pocket so again no easy way of taking it out without knowing about it.

It's not about making it impossible to pick pocket your self just make it obviously more difficult, they will pick some one else instead.

Associate
Took about 6k of gear to barcelona a couple years ago without issue.

- Always be attached to your bag, at restaurant between legs with strap wrapped round your leg, on your lap on public transport, in crowds placed on the front side of your body,
- Have a wrist strap attached to camera when using it (i use black rapids one)
- Use a discrete camera bag (I have a thinktank that looks like a book satchel)
- Have insurance, make sure its covered while abroad
- Be aware of your surroundings, I always make it apparent im watching my vicinity, they'll always pick on the weaker targets
- As above poster said, if someone approaches you just wave them away and shake your head as if you dont speak the language (even if its English)
- Don't over think things and enjoy your holiday, Barce is a beautiful city, all the gothic district (like old town) is awesome, and the hill with the museums and cable cars have great views of the city, theres tons of street art too for a street tog.

Edit: if you want to be really anal, put black electric tape over the camera brand/model, dont use a branded strap etc, these arent petty idiots, they can ID whats worth a few hundred euro and whats worth thousands, just another way of reducing the attraction.

This good advice.
The only place a pick pocket has tried it on with me was in Lisbon. An asian girl with accomplice hand her hand on the flap of my wife’s hand bag. Which she was wearing across her body. The wife heard a click noise which was the clasp of the bag being opened. This happen while we were walking along a pedestrianised road leading to a zebra crossing.
When the wife pulled her bag away the girls quickly walked off into a mass of people. We followed them and they went through shops, crowds of people then split up !
I have heard of friends having been pick pocketed in London, so now where is safe !

Back
Top Bottom