Temp issues with 5820k

Associate
I started to have issues with my system this week.

So I installed a 1080 to replace my 970 last Friday. Alongside this I decided to resolve my systems high idle temps (around 40c) by reseating the cooler (H100 GTX) and thermal paste. At first this didn’t work as temps were still around 40c idle. So I redid it, same result.

So I read up on my cooler and switched the Fan Header from the Gigabyte X99 SLI motherboards CPU_OPT switch to CPU_FAN and bumped it upto full speed through the bios. All of a sudden idle was down to 26-30c and that was fantastic. Guild Wars 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda were running at max 1440 no issues not going much beyond 55c.

At this point I assumed problem solved so I decided to OC the 5820k, with temps like those an additional bump in clock speed now seemed certainly doable. I went for 3.8ghz, easy and simple. Upon putting the settings into the bios the system refused at that point to boot and returned to the default bios.

Since then my system reverted to the 40c idle and gotten slowly worse. I’ve been in and out of the bios changing settings, tried resetting the CMOS, switching the fan headers and updating the bios. Strangely three times I’ve managed to boot back into that sweet 26-30c spot doing this. But the moment I reboot it's back to high temps. Guild Wars 2 running at 71c at my last attempt and I’m scrambling to get the fan and pump at full speed through Corsair Link to just keep it there.

I've just finished swapping out the GPU and PSU to rule them out and left it at the base CPU, MB, RAM and GPU yet this still occurs. I don't know if its the CPU, MB or Cooler but the fact it has booted in at 28c idle and stayed there is odd.

Any thoughts?

Associate
see if the vcore drop to below 1.0v when idling or not. My CPU doesn't work with adaptive/auto voltage anymore so I got to set it fixed hence high temp idling.

Associate
OP
see if the vcore drop to below 1.0v when idling or not. My CPU doesn't work with adaptive/auto voltage anymore so I got to set it fixed hence high temp idling.

Min today has been 0.132V and the max has been 1.044 according to CPUID. So all good on that front.

Associate
If you have the option of trying a different cooler I would try that, the booting into low idle temps and sometimes not certainly sounds like a sensor / software issue / or the pump giving up, does it give similar temps in bios?
How does the cooler feel to touch? Idle and during load

Associate
I would like to know too however I disabled everything so the CPU is running at full speed 4.1ghz all the time, idle has always been around 35 to 40, 35 usually at start and winter, with 40s in the Summer going higher sometimes. Oh also my V is at 1.16... always been at that, if it works should I increase it or leave it as it is?

I have just increased it to 4.2Ghz at the same v 1.16. Ran OCCT seems OK. However the Tem looks like is set around 45 to 50c now. Before test it was around 39c.

What v would you say for 4.4Ghz? the way mine is I would say 1.2 but hey what do I know:)

Last edited:
Associate
I run my 5820k @ 4.5ghz @ 1.3v temps are idle high 30's with a h110i and loaded high 50's
That's almost exactly the same as me, but I'm at 1.25v at 4.5. I did replace the stock fans with Noctuas but that was only really for noise purposes, not cooling performance.
It does seem that it is an issue with the cooler itself.

Soldato
That's almost exactly the same as me, but I'm at 1.25v at 4.5. I did replace the stock fans with Noctuas but that was only really for noise purposes, not cooling performance.
It does seem that it is an issue with the cooler itself.

I should say I set the fans to 40% on the h110i, so I cannot hear it, I think the h110i is so overkill I get the temps I get and I never move the fans off 40% lol

Associate
I set my fans to a custom curve and they run great - nice and quiet but ramp up when needed. (Battlefront and Homefront: Revolution seem to pump out the heat!).

Back
Top Bottom