Temperatures

Permabanned
Probably been answered somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Does running your CPU at a quite high temperature (50-55*C at load) have much effect on the lifespan? Effect being noticable, not something like it'll only last 9 years instead of 10! :eek:

Cheers.

My CPU is a 3700+ San Diego clocked at 2.75GHz for extra information.

Associate
Temperature is only one reason for shortening your CPU's life. Another reason is higher that stock voltages. I would like my CPU to last me a maximum time of 3 years since that is the longest time i kept the same CPU. At that time though you shall enjoy better performance due to the overclocked CPU :D

Soldato
Baker said:
Does running your CPU at a quite high temperature (50-55*C at load) have much effect on the lifespan? Effect being noticable, not something like it'll only last 9 years instead of 10! :eek:

Since that's within spec (normally 65 - 75'C is max for CPUs), it'll last as long (probably longer) than the manufacturer states.

But yes, technically, if you run it at 55'C it will die sooner than if you ran it at 45'C.

Associate
lol i dont think my cpu could run that fast to generate to much heat maybe 45C max?

My friends pc (which was bought from pcworld?"""" NOOO) runs from 74C to 80C according to everest tests

Permabanned
OP
col20 said:
lol i dont think my cpu could run that fast to generate to much heat maybe 45C max?

My friends pc (which was bought from pcworld?"""" NOOO) runs from 74C to 80C according to everest tests

Makes no difference how old your CPU is, it still has to work as hard.

Associate
Na i ment my computer runs with no case on it so any heat it does generate will be quicky dispersed! if any its very old and only used for downlaod nothing else

Back
Top Bottom